BlueSCSI V2 - works with SASI but with issues.

Started by HIggy, February 20, 2023, 06:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spectreman

Quote from: incrediblehark on June 02, 2024, 09:51:56 AM@kanjiology, did the recent update fix any of your problems?

Also, does anyone know how to get the HDD led to work with X68000 and the BlueSCSI desktop version?
Is the flat cable you purchased a rainbow colored 20 PIN, with a red wire sticking out?

If so, you must connect the red wire that protrudes out to the positive LED pin (+) found in the center of the three pins at the top on your left.

incrediblehark

spectreman

Quote from: incrediblehark on June 02, 2024, 08:41:01 PMThank you, I'll try that
In case the flat cable you have has no external wire disconnected already prepared for HDD LED:

The 50 PIN side flat cable is divided into two groups of wires, one group of 11 and another of 9, disconnect the innermost wire by starting to count from the outside of the connector towards the center until 9, that wire corresponds to the HDD LED (usually red).
Remove it and extend it with a piece of wire to reach the top center pin on your left, the positive pin is in the center between the three (+) of your BlueSCSI V2.

Guide valid only for OG, ACE, EXPERT models.

spectreman

Quote from: incrediblehark on June 04, 2024, 08:07:00 AMThis is the cable I have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115869753264
Sorry, I forgot you have a PRO.
In this case the situation changes.

If you want, you can disconnect the HDD's original LED wires, and connect the BlueSCSI V2 wires directly to it, so you can use the original LED, paying attention to the polarity.

I think it's the most practical solution.

kanjiology

Quote from: incrediblehark on June 02, 2024, 09:51:56 AM@kanjiology, did the recent update fix any of your problems?

Also, does anyone know how to get the HDD led to work with X68000 and the BlueSCSI desktop version?
Unfortunately BlueSCSI V2 has a bug right now where it can't be updated via SD card so I'll have to open the entire computer to update it.

Have used the SD Card Formatter.

The ini file looks like this:
[SCSI]
System=X68000
EnableParity=0 ; Off

incrediblehark

Just wanted to add that after testing a bit more, I am also having the too low error message on the sxsi loader, testing both internally and externally with different ini settings. Seems it will have more luck working with on a cold boot but fails 99% of the time when i do a reset either with button or key combo.

spectreman

@incrediblehark Some power supplies may not provide enough power to the Raspberry Pico.
Pico requires a 5V/1A power supply.

Can you report any errors contained in the log.txt file?

Did you buy the version with WIFI?

Check following points:
For X68000 with SCSI interface

Turn termination off on the board.
Use the following bluescsi.ini file settings:

[SCSI]
System="X68000"

For X68000 with SASI interface ( OG/ACE/PRO ) centronics 50 pin connector marked as "HARD DISK"

Turn termination off on the board.
Install the SxSI bootloader (include in master disk V3).
Use external power.
Use the following bluescsi.ini file settings:

[SCSI]
System="X68000"
EnableParity = 0

https://bluescsi.com/docs/Compatibility

spectreman

Quote from: incrediblehark on July 04, 2024, 01:02:37 AMJust wanted to add that after testing a bit more, I am also having the too low error message on the sxsi loader, testing both internally and externally with different ini settings. Seems it will have more luck working with on a cold boot but fails 99% of the time when i do a reset either with button or key combo.
The BlueSCSI v2 Centronics version without WIFI is suitable for those with X68000 PRO.

The Desktop version is not compatible due to several internal contacts.

amazin

I have *JUST* tested a BlueSCSI V2 external DB25 on a X68000 Pro last night, updated the firmware to the latest release (2024-05-21) and it won't work. Still have a plethora of "Chk.Conn" and "So Low SCSI level".

Mine is a DB25 unit made by Flamelilly in the UK.

The thing is:

If you power the X68000 first THEN the BlueSCSI V2 second, it gets recognized and it works. You may reset the X68000 afterwards and it'll work fine. Until you do that, it won't get recognized.

If you power off the X68000 but not the BlueSCSI V2, when you power the X68000 up, it won't recognize the BlueSCSI V2 anymore, until  you power it off then back on.

Another thing I noticed is that it sometimes fails to load Akumajo Dracula, and sometimes the music plays slow while the game is loading. Both things do not occur on the BlueSCSI V1 with the ArdSCSIno-STM32 firmware.

incrediblehark

Thanks for the detailed explanation, the power situation with the bluescsi v2 is what I noticed with the centronics 50 model on an ace.

spectreman

Quote from: incrediblehark on July 07, 2024, 10:50:43 PMThanks for the detailed explanation, the power situation with the bluescsi v2 is what I noticed with the centronics 50 model on an ace.
You can find any power errors and more in the log.txt file which is automatically created and updated at each startup on the SD memory.

spectreman

Brief insight:

SCSI2SD (Recommended version 5.1, later versions not compatible, successor ZuluSCSI V6.4):

it is a device that requires firmware updates, the use of programs to copy the HDD image into the SD memory, and a careful evaluation of the X68000 model on which to mount it, as they are not specifically designed for this system.

BlueSCSI:

BlueSCSI V1 with the firmware dedicated to X68000 ArdSCSIno-STM32 works correctly, with the right configuration.

BlueSCSI V2, uses Raspberry Pico which requires firmware updates and a 5V/1A power supply.
The version with WIFI (with greater electricity consumption) is ONLY useful for older Apple computers and users who intend to use the DaynaPORT function.
HDD images can be copied directly to SD memory by naming it correctly.

Typical power problem is Low SCSI level error.
By consulting the log.txt file in the SD memory you can make sure of this.

https://bluescsi.com/

Cable diagram:
https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:don_t_have_a_sasi_scsi_cable

HENKAN BANCHO PRO or V4:

The best choice in my opinion, designed for X68000, Fujitsu FM Towns and NEC PC-98.
a ready-to-use device does not require you to do anything beyond simple installation.
HDD images can be copied directly to CF memory.
The mounting kit for both SASI and SCSI is sold separately. For the X68000 PRO it must be connected via a dedicated connector internally.

The only flaw is the price, but losing money on poorly functioning devices turns out to be more expensive.

https://buyee.jp/item/search/seller/qsYdbG%2BoILI7BBtagxl8BQ%3D%3D

spectreman

Additional Information:

Unfortunately it seems that some products are not available for all territories, for example the BlueSCSI V2 Centronics model ( recommended for X68000 OG/ACE/PRO ), only available from the official seller in Belgium at the moment.

https://shop.onegeekarmy.eu/index.php/product/bluescsi-v2-centronics-2/