Gotek/FlashFloppy - what are the settings people are using?

Started by HIggy, January 22, 2023, 07:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HIggy

Hi,

The drives are dead on my X68000 so I am going the USB Floppy emulator route.
I have modified a Floppy Drive cable as per the post below, so the original Disk Drives are dealing with Disk In and Disk Eject etc

Floppy Cable Modification

I found a Gotek/HxC in my retro collection so borrowed that and have been successfully been using just ONE emulated Floppy Drive (everywhere seems to say you need two?).

Now I don't have any more HxC Goteks, but I have 3 FlashFloppy Goteks.

People say they work, but I have tried all sorts of Jumper configs and .cfg options, but the Drive Files initialise then the physical disk is ejected from my X68000.

Now can people please tell me what 1. Jumper settings 2. .cfg options 3. Disk Formats they are using.

I have been using the .hfe files that load on my Gotek/HxC so I know they are good.

Many Thanks

Cyothevile

-jumpers must match the drive it is emulating with dummy disk installed
-no config options. I already told you this.
-you can use HXC or FF firmware. File format won't matter much. Start with HFE
-you commented about this on FF group and 68K FB group with the same questions. You actually asked me a direct question on my old 68K-FF video I posted and I gave you the answer already. I don't know why you think asking the same question on another platform would magically be different.

HIggy

@Cyothevile I am sorry. I am not neurotypical and I would like/require the answers to my questions in the format I've asked for.

I am very greatful for your response. You seem to be the only one who has FlashFloppy working (and has responded), but because I am struggling, your answer format is not making it easy for me to understand.

For example:

-jumpers must match the drive it is emulating with dummy disk installed

Ok, so Gotek has MO, S0 and S1 jumpers.
I have my Floppy cable. So the Gotek/FF on the Twisted part of cable is S0 and Gotek/FF on the other connector is S1?
Don't have anything on MO?

-no config options. I already told you this.

Ok, so no FF.cfg or .cfg etc on USB stick, just .hfe files?
If FF.cfg is required, then are you are saying use the unedited FF.cfg from FlashFloppy GitHub page?

I've only asked on other areas because I have not got the information in a format I can understand. To me I have 3 jumper positions, and a number of options in FF.cfg I can change, this gives me many combinations of trial and error. Again not easy when you have a poor working memory and you have to write down everything you have done because you can't remember.

You have it working it is easy for you. You hold the key for me getting it to work.

No one has added X68000 information to the Wiki, I want to help others. Look under 'Host Platforms' there is details on how to setup Gotek/FlashFloppy on other systems, Jumper positions and FF.cfg options etc.

Sorry if it feels like I am asking you to spell things out, I am just asking for your help in order to experience this great Japanese computer.

HIggy

This is the sort of format I need, identifying the variables and what those variables should be:

FlashFloppy cfg file: leave all default
Disk File Format : .hfe (best compatibility)

Floppy Drive Cable Position - Twisted cable (primary drive)

Gotek Jumper : S0 (MO not required)

Floppy Drive Cable Position - Normal cable (secondary drive)

Gotek Jumper : S1 (MO not required)

As I mentioned HxC does work with just a Primary drive, I've only tried 1 FlashFloppy drive, maybe this is causing  the issues (although not sure why it would be ok with just 1 HxC Gotek?).

HIggy

Ok, so the issue was using a Floppy cable with a twist.

You need to use a STRAIGHT cable.

So S0 jumper for Primary Drive and S1 for Secondary Drive.

FF.cfg is untouched.

But if your cable has a twist as per Win PCs then you won't get anywhere:)

caius

HIggy

Quote from: caius on January 23, 2023, 08:28:04 AMReady for launch...3,2,1 Lift off! :)

Very nice. I've just 3D printed 4 brackets to hold 2 Goteks together.

I now need to make another Floppy Drive Cable that is longer to pass out the back as I can't run the X68000 with the side cover on as it comes out the side.

Cyothevile

Quote from: HIggy on January 24, 2023, 06:48:27 AM
Quote from: caius on January 23, 2023, 08:28:04 AMReady for launch...3,2,1 Lift off! :)

Very nice. I've just 3D printed 4 brackets to hold 2 Goteks together.

I now need to make another Floppy Drive Cable that is longer to pass out the back as I can't run the X68000 with the side cover on as it comes out the side.

Just buy Caius 68K FDDEMU for the easiest method to be quite honest. Less complicated and it will work.