News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Master System 2 MODs

Started by patroclus02, June 25, 2004, 06:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patroclus02

I already modded my PAL SNES (lockout chip + 50/60Hz switch), and today I modded my PAL Master System 2 to play at 60Hz. Cool!!

But I've seen a picture of a modded SMS2, with 3 switches and 1 pushbutton. Do you know of any mod for this console appart from 60Hz switch??

thanks

Martin

Can you mod the master system 2 to have rgb output?
I hate playig through crappy RF.
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

Vertigo

QuoteCan you mod the master system 2 to have rgb output?
Yes, you definitely can, I saw it on the internet so go and look.

Martin

QuoteCan you mod the master system 2 to have rgb output?
Yes, you definitely can, I saw it on the internet so go and look.
W00T!
Thanks alot, I'll go look it up.
:D
I just never understand why all of these consoles only had RF Outs in europe  :unsure: .
Didn't the Master System atleast have composite in america?

patroclus02

Thanks. If anyone finds a web explaining how to do it, please post it here. I can't fin anything.

Also, 2 more questions :
* Is there easy way to add a reset button?
* How can you safely avoid ripping out the pin of graphic's chip?.
I never had problems but afraids me. Once soldered to the wire, a slight pull could rip it out. I hold it with tape, but still afraid... Just bending it too much could make it fall appart. Any advices? ;)

Yod@

Some info about the RGB mod here.

patroclus02

patroclus02

This mod shows 50/60 Hz swith abd also RGB output. But what are the rest for?? anyone knows??

One last thing. Is it bad to remove the metal shield over the board?? I did it on my SNES after modding, but did not with my SMS2 (but this way modding is more difficult because you need to choose carefully where the wires are going to go trough.

Vertigo

Quote* How can you safely avoid ripping out the pin of graphic's chip?
Make soldering the wires to the graphics chip the LAST thing you do, so you will have less risk of pulls while attaching the other bits.

Vertigo

QuoteOne last thing. Is it bad to remove the metal shield over the board?? I did it on my SNES after modding, but did not with my SMS2 (but this way modding is more difficult because you need to choose carefully where the wires are going to go trough.
Yes. It's a Faraday cage http://www.amershamhealth.com/medcyclopaed...ADAY%20CAGE.asp  and shields outside electrical devices from interference generated by the internals of your SMS, and vice versa.
The solution: choose carefully where the wires are going to go through.

Darklegion

The chip on the sms is very solid you won't pull out the pins no matter what you do.I dropped the thing from a great height with a lot of tension and the wires came off.....pins didn't however.Just tape the wiring down with double-sided tape or hot glue if you are worried.

patroclus02

Darklegion, I know that, I work quite a lot with DIP Integrated Circuits, but the legs brake easily if you bend them one way then another a few times.

anyway, I don't think there's much risk with a SMS2.

phreak97

theres a mod for av-out here (composite video + mono sound):
http://www.doomportables.org/~ninja/sms/mods.htm

patroclus02

Thanks, but RBG worths the work ;)

Martin

O..k...
I just did the 60Hz mod to my PAL Master System...
I followed mmmonkey's guide to the T.
I soldered all the wires to the right places.
Isolated pin 57 from the other pins.. added the switch...
I made sure nothing was shorted.
I made sure nothing was damaged.
And I plugged my SMS2 in...
AND IT DIDN'T FRIGGING WORK ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  

patroclus02

It works just great for me.
Let me see..

* are you sure the console did work before modding?? (very important to check before any mod)
* Are you sure you did not brake the pin 57 appart or something??
* are you sure you did the wiring correct?? Are you using a proper switch?? did you wire the pin 57 wire to the common switch pin??
* Are you sure you get 5V and 0V correct?? use polimeter.

I use to take 5V and 0V form the 7805 regulators, in SNEs and SMS2 at least. It's easy to solder, hard to screw up, and 100% correct.

Martin

patroclus02

Great :D

What was the problem?

Martin

I think something was brushing against the sheilding.. so i just bent it a little bit with plyers :D
and also my Power Adaptor burnt out :angry:  

RobIvy64

OVERCLOCK IT!!.....but thats just an idea... ;)
"Console Mods" lurker

nykpsn

The switch that connects to the pin via a long green wire selects whether the console is english or japanese, if the pin is shorted to ground some dual language games will start in japanese.

However I tested that pin and found it was a output and not a input because the voltage on the pin changes after the bios has finished running (from 5v to 0v), and the connection to ground has to be through 0 ohms for it to start in japanese.

I don't recommend doing this mod.

Martin

Which mod are you talking about?
And what kind of crappy soldering did you do?

If you did a good job  and used a break before make swtch that you can leave neutral (off) then you shouldnt encounter that problem.

patroclus02

He's talking about the green wire in the picture I posted...
Well, i don't know if it is safe or not, but if japanese is selected when conected to ground, it must be an input. Maybe you need to disconect that pin from the motherboard as doing the 60/50Hz mod. this is what I think. You get diferent voltages because that pin is conected to a track that conects it to an output of any other chip.

I did'nt know there was dual-languaje roms as for mega drive..

Martin

QuoteHe's talking about the green wire in the picture I posted...
Well, i don't know if it is safe or not, but if japanese is selected when conected to ground, it must be an input. Maybe you need to disconect that pin from the motherboard as doing the 60/50Hz mod. this is what I think. You get diferent voltages because that pin is conected to a track that conects it to an output of any other chip.

I did'nt know there was dual-languaje roms as for mega drive..
Hmm...
Or you could cut the tracks, lift the pin or cut the tracks.

patroclus02

but, does master system really support dual language??
is anyone sure about this mod??

Darklegion

A quick question.....is stereo audio possible on the sms2 ? Or even the standrad sms for that matter?

patroclus02

As far as I know, master system does not output stereo sound. It's a mono audio console.