Got an XVI Compact. Now what?

Started by tsmvp, May 01, 2022, 09:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsmvp

LOL. Ok total X68000 newbie. Even the emulator refuses to work on my Linux box (if anyone has a good emulator to recommend that works on the latest Ubuntu, I am all years).
Even though I am familiar with Japanese computers (have like almost 20 MSXs) never owned an X68000 so this week I ended up buying a nice XVI Compact.
That said once I started reading about it, it seems almost all software was released on 5.25" disks and the Compact has 3.5" drives... On top of that it seems the Compact has no internal SCSI connector, so if I want to use a hard drive, it has to be external...
With that in mind (and yes, I have read the FAQ - very nice page with TONS of info), just want to get to the point I can use the machine not only for the games but for the OS. So my questions, if you do not mind, are:
- Which OS is the best (Graphical) in your opinion?
- My machine (did not arrive yet) is the Redzone one. What is the difference, compared to a 'normal' X68000 XVI Compact?
- Which SCSI2SD adapter (or similar) do you recommend? I assume it would connect to the external connector in the back. Ah, any STL file for a 3D-printed case for it (in case it is not in a case)?
- Ideally, as I have tons of floppies, I would love to write some games to the disks and print some nice labels (like I did for my minidiscs - see attachments). Is that easy to do on the X68000? Get an image off the net and write to the floppies? I do have a Toshiba USB one that I use on Linux to write MSX disk images and works awesome. Now if it will be able to write 1.25MB 3.5" disks, no idea. LOL
- If you guys know any YouTube video that shows how to get the SD card built with a disk image that will work, just post the URL.

Thanks a lot!!!

CR

sananaman

Hi welcome here!

I also just started with the real hardware about 3 weeks ago!

About the Emulator. I use XM6-TypeG in my opinion the best emulator out there, you can try out all configs.
I compared it with my real X68000 and even the quirks I had in the disk image that was also visible in the Emulator.
But that emulator is Windows.
You could try Wine/Wine Bottler to get it running.

An alternative is to load the X68000 Core on a MiSTer. The latest release is is very good compared to the one before that.
Join X68000 on Discord

Vanne

Nice labels, maybe we can get you to make us some x68000 game labels.

I too just started the journey. I second Mister, it's awesome, not just for X68k. :)
Expert CZ-602C rookie

tsmvp

Quote from: Vanne on May 04, 2022, 10:02:31 PMNice labels, maybe we can get you to make us some x68000 game labels.

I too just started the journey. I second Mister, it's awesome, not just for X68k. :)

Oh I am used to the FPGA stuff and do have some around the house. That said, I actually bought a real XVI Compact and that is what I am trying to get going. Same for the emulators, do have the XM6 running but do want to get the real hardware working.
For the labels, for sure! That is part of the plan as well.
Any answers to the questions I posted? :-)

Cheers!

CR

Cyothevile

Compact owner here. Your red zone has a ability to switch to 24mhz clock from the rear switch. Stock Compact XVI don't have it. Mine didn't but it's trivial to make an OC circuit and get the same thing going on :)

I would strongly advise getting maintenance done on your unit the moment it arrives. The surface mount capacitors are always in bad shape on Compact computers. The floppy drives for the compact have a micro switch that over time wears out. My friend aje_fr made a guide to fix this issue although I don't have the guts to do it myself. Your drives might be fine though.

There is also some RAM cards you can buy and install for the compact model and it won't use any of the expansion slot space. I would recommend a RAM card as running games off of a hard drive / hard drive emulator generally requires slightly more RAM than what it would if you used floppies.

To use an external HDD you need a very special SCSI type adaptor that I've only found on Yahoo auctions. bluescsi is very simple to use. Scsi2sd also works very well for 68K computers. I would advise bluescsi just because it's cheaper :p

I've used flux readers / writers for writing disks for Japanese PC. Look into greaseweazle.

In summary:

-get every capacitor in the computer replaced. Maybe send it to an expert
-I would advise a RAM card. I personally have this one.

http://www.katch.ne.jp/~x680x0_mania/xm6be6dp.html

-bluescsi is a very affordable hard drive emulator.

If you're in USA I can send you a few floppy disks with games and a copy of the master disks image so you can check your drives. Just pay me like $5 for shipping :p

ImportantBet

Quote from: Cyothevile on May 06, 2022, 05:25:18 AMTo use an external HDD you need a very special SCSI type adaptor that I've only found on Yahoo auctions. bluescsi is very simple to use. Scsi2sd also works very well for 68K computers. I would advise bluescsi just because it's cheaper :p

Like what Cyo said, there's a special type of SCSI cable/adapter you need that can only be found in Japanese shops.

I have a custom cable to sell that will suit your needs (Micro-CN50 Male to IDC50 Female).
The IDC50 Female end will easily connect to whatever SCSI HDD emulator you end up using (BlueSCSI,SCSI2SD,Bancho Pro,AztecMonster).

PM me if interested.

tsmvp

Quote from: mydogmike on May 06, 2022, 09:17:21 AM
Quote from: Cyothevile on May 06, 2022, 05:25:18 AMTo use an external HDD you need a very special SCSI type adaptor that I've only found on Yahoo auctions. bluescsi is very simple to use. Scsi2sd also works very well for 68K computers. I would advise bluescsi just because it's cheaper :p

Like what Cyo said, there's a special type of SCSI cable/adapter you need that can only be found in Japanese shops.

I have a custom cable to sell that will suit your needs (Micro-CN50 Male to IDC50 Female).
The IDC50 Female end will easily connect to whatever SCSI HDD emulator you end up using (BlueSCSI,SCSI2SD,Bancho Pro,AztecMonster).

PM me if interested.

Ok I am a bit confused, please correct me if I am wrong.
- SCSI. I need to use a special/customer cable and you sell it. I then use that cable to connect to a SCSI HDD emulator like BlueSCSI, SCSI2SD, etc. Is that accurate? In that case what would you guys recommend as the SCSI HDD emulator? I may be wrong but I believe I have one SCSI2SD somewhere that I got to use with a Mac but never got to the point of doing so.
- Memory: the adapter mentioned by Cyothevile seems to be completely out of stock at Beep (that is the store the creator apparently points you to, in case you want to buy it). Is there any other way to get that adapter? Is there an alternative to it so I can get the memory expanded?
- For the HDD image to be copied to CF/SD. Is there a particular one that you guys recommend? If so, any links/pointers to it? Or is it that same V4 image that I am running on the emulator? I would love to see more of the business/productivity side as well with like business apps (word processors, spreadsheets etc), music (MIDI sequencers etc) and graphics (editors, etc). Is there an image with that or simply a matter of getting these apps later?
- That Greazle thing, how do you use it? I mean I have no physical PC that has floppy controllers any longer but that said I do have an USB Floppy that I use to write MSX disk images using 2DD floppies (formatted under Linux as 720kb). Using DD, would it be possible to write disk images to the floppied on the Linux PC without that greazle thing? Or no way?

Thanks a lot!

CR

tsmvp

Quote from: Cyothevile on May 06, 2022, 05:25:18 AMCompact owner here. Your red zone has a ability to switch to 24mhz clock from the rear switch. Stock Compact XVI don't have it. Mine didn't but it's trivial to make an OC circuit and get the same thing going on :)

I would strongly advise getting maintenance done on your unit the moment it arrives. The surface mount capacitors are always in bad shape on Compact computers. The floppy drives for the compact have a micro switch that over time wears out. My friend aje_fr made a guide to fix this issue although I don't have the guts to do it myself. Your drives might be fine though.

There is also some RAM cards you can buy and install for the compact model and it won't use any of the expansion slot space. I would recommend a RAM card as running games off of a hard drive / hard drive emulator generally requires slightly more RAM than what it would if you used floppies.

To use an external HDD you need a very special SCSI type adaptor that I've only found on Yahoo auctions. bluescsi is very simple to use. Scsi2sd also works very well for 68K computers. I would advise bluescsi just because it's cheaper :p

I've used flux readers / writers for writing disks for Japanese PC. Look into greaseweazle.

In summary:

-get every capacitor in the computer replaced. Maybe send it to an expert
-I would advise a RAM card. I personally have this one.

http://www.katch.ne.jp/~x680x0_mania/xm6be6dp.html

-bluescsi is a very affordable hard drive emulator.

If you're in USA I can send you a few floppy disks with games and a copy of the master disks image so you can check your drives. Just pay me like $5 for shipping :p

Oh thanks a lot for the reply. This machine was all serviced before I got it. All caps (or the ones needed) replaced, drives removed/serviced/greased/cleaned and so on. So the machine is 100% working and ready to go.
For the RAM card, the one you posted the link, seems to be out of stock at Beep and I cannot find it anywhere else. With that in mind what other options do I have for the XVI Compact?
Oh if you could get me some floppies that would be amazing! I am in Canada but I live 45 minutes from the border so worst case you would ship to my US address and I would drive there to pick these up.
Of course I can send you my Canadian address and pay for the shipping/etc all the way to Canada (plus your cost for the disks/service provided) what would save me a drive :-) Just let me know if this is possible/feasible.

Thanks guys!

CR

MobiusStripTech

I have 8mb cards available that just take up an I/O slot. They are in stock, tested, and ready to go.

https://mobiusstriptechnologies.com/product/sharp-x68000-8mb-ram-upgrade/

tsmvp

Quote from: MobiusStripTech on May 07, 2022, 08:23:59 AMI have 8mb cards available that just take up an I/O slot. They are in stock, tested, and ready to go.

https://mobiusstriptechnologies.com/product/sharp-x68000-8mb-ram-upgrade/
Thanks for the link! Just to confirm, does it work with the XVI Compact?

CR

MobiusStripTech

Yes. So long as you have an open expansion slot.

tsmvp

Quote from: MobiusStripTech on May 08, 2022, 03:13:28 AMYes. So long as you have an open expansion slot.
Ok, expansion purchased.

CR

Cyothevile

QuoteOf course I can send you my Canadian address and pay for the shipping/etc all the way to Canada

CR

Nothing wild. Like 5 bucks for a few 3.5" disks. Then whatever the shipping is to Canada.