Newer SNES model modifications...?

Started by Lord_Magus, June 24, 2004, 06:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord_Magus

I bought myself a 2nd hand (PAL)SNES today. I ran home happily and opened it up, only to see that it was one of the dreaded model 2 SNESs. :angry:

I know that performing the 50/60Hz switch mod on this console is not possible(yet?), but I was wondering if the same goes for the LockOut chip mod. I did some googling and nothing interesting came up, and even Marks exceptional writing on this subject referred only to 3 known lockout chips: F411, F413A and F411A. The chip on my console is F413B, will the modification still work? I was thinking of trying it out, since it seems highly possible, but I would like to double-check before I do so.

Also, is there a way to identify what model a PAL SNES is without opening it up? My normal\older SNES has a serial number on the back that starts with UR xxxx, while the newer, un-moddable one starts with UP xxxx. Is this of any significance?

Thanks in advance for any replies. ;)

Vertigo

1) Ignore what the people on digitpress said, they're talking out of their arses.
2) Check your email.
3) Just do yourself a favour and buy a US SNES for cheap from eBay.
If you really want to play Mr Modder, work out the SNES2 for yourself and compare the signals generated by the lockout chip with those of your older machine. You'll need a multimeter and possibly an oscilloscope, iirc.

Yod@

QuoteThe chip on my console is F413B, will the modification still work? I was thinking of trying it out, since it seems highly possible, but I would like to double-check before I do so.
IIRC the mod does work on the F413B.

However, as Vertigo says, if your SNES can't be modded for 50/60Hz then it may be a good idea to replace it with a more suitable model. ALL of the original "brick-type" US SNESes which I've seen so far have been 50/60Hz moddable.