Looking for someone with a white desktop FM-TOWNS model (EA, etc.)

Started by lordskylark, March 15, 2023, 02:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordskylark

Hello,

I'm looking to hire someone who has a later white desktop FM-TOWNS model (I think? EA, MA, MX, ME, HA, HB, HC) with a harddrive and 4MB RAM. I own the rights to some music that I would like to have recorded with the authentic machine for permanent archiving. The earlier FM-TOWNS models' sound circuitry is far inferior to the white desktop model, and the music was composed to sound correct on the later models. I can provide further details if someone is interested.

Thank you,
Andrew

SuperDeadite

I have a Fresh with HDD and 38mb of RAM.  Been awhile since I've used it though.  I typically record audio via Yamaha UW500.  What hardware are your tunes using?  If it's just the OPN2, I can probably do better quality via MSX lol.

kamiboy

I am one of the ones who did test recordings on the early model Towns for this project. The tracks use the internal Towns sound hardware via hacked game executables and saves, so it has to be done on an actual Towns machine.

Seems there is quite a difference in sound characteristics between early and late model Towns machines, in a situation bot unlike the different Mega Drive revisions. The early models apparently have LPF and inferior noisy sound circuitry, who knew?

Anywaste, this project has been underway forever so it would be nice if you could finish it using the very difficult to come by hardware you have at hand.

SuperDeadite

So the Ricoh RF5C68 then.  It's a fairly standard 8bit, 8 voice PCM chip, its the same chip as the Sega CD actually.  But yes, last time I tried, my Fresh was happy with CDRs, though its been awhile.

lordskylark

Quote from: SuperDeadite on March 15, 2023, 11:59:14 PMSo the Ricoh RF5C68 then.  It's a fairly standard 8bit, 8 voice PCM chip, its the same chip as the Sega CD actually.  But yes, last time I tried, my Fresh was happy with CDRs, though its been awhile.

Thank you for the interest. Yes, it definitely needs to be a real authentic FM-TOWNS unit with the original OPN2 sound chip from the later model white desktop (at least, I think those are the only models that sound correct). One game requires the game to be installed and 100% run on the harddrive, others will need CD and/or floppy plus either floppy or harddrive for saved games. I have detailed instructions too.

Thanks, kamiboy. (I didn't even realize you were part of this forum.)

kamiboy

Yeah, the english speaking Japanese PC community is a very small one where you'll run into the same familiar names over and over again.

It bears mentioning that you will be monetarily compensated for the work done, which I can vouch for. Plus, it is always good to fire up these old beasts to at least check and verify that everything is still working. Fingers crossed everything is still working as should, you never know with these things...