My Youtube series PC-98/88 Paradise! (Xanadu Scenario II video added)

Started by kazekirifx, August 13, 2021, 10:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kazekirifx

Hi everybody. My brothers and I have a Youtube channel called "Basement Brothers" and I have been making in-depth reviews of games for the NEC PC-8801 PC under the name "PC-88 Paradise" for the last four years. I thought that there may be some users here who would be interested who have maybe not discovered my videos yet. (As you know, there are very few English language forums on the Internet for people who play retro Japanese PCs!)

Please come check us out since we are a very small channel with low viewership and we could use your support sharing, liking, subscribing and commenting.

The latest video is a very long and detailed look at Ys 2 for PC-88.

My brother is also doing a series called "Neo Geo Generation" where he is attempting to review every Neo Geo game in order.

Thanks for your time and feedback!

YetAnotherJPCUser

I've watched your videos already :-) I didn't realise that your channel is small, because everything feels very professional made. There aren't many English videos about the PC-88 available and I hope you will release more videos in the future. I'm especially interested in games that are playable without japanese knowledge, like shmups, action games, puzzle games and so on.

kazekirifx

Quote from: YetAnotherJPCUser on August 23, 2021, 11:05:54 PMI've watched your videos already :-) I didn't realise that your channel is small, because everything feels very professional made. There aren't many English videos about the PC-88 available and I hope you will release more videos in the future. I'm especially interested in games that are playable without japanese knowledge, like shmups, action games, puzzle games and so on.

Wow. So glad to see you here!
Games playable without Japanese knowledge. Hmm, that's a good idea.

Unfortunately I just made a video on another game that is extremely difficult to play without Japanese knowledge (XZR), but I can try to do some more Japanese-light games in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.

kazekirifx

Today I made a video about the FM Synth version of the Actraiser soundtrack... which was originally composed on the PC-88! Hope you find it interesting.

kazekirifx

Hi guys. I just added another video to the series on the game "Burai".
Thanks for watching as always!

kazekirifx

This time I did the original PC-88 version of Xak!
Please check it out and let me know how you think the original compares to the other PC and console versions.

kazekirifx

I started a new series: "PC-98 Paradise"!!! So I thought for the first video I would do a follow-up to my Burai video. Is the second one really terrible? And are the MSX2 and FM Towns versions any better? How about the PC Engine Super CD remake "Burai II"?

kazekirifx

I finally made another PC-98 video. This time I went ahead and covered Rusty. In addition to talking about all the stages, music, cutscenes etc., I talk a bit in the video about how I obtained a copy of the game in 2003, and also show how to install on a PC-9821. I also attempted a 1cc of the game, so wish me luck! Your feedback is welcome, as always! I'm working on my next video already too...

YetAnotherJPCUser

great Rusty review. Do you know any cheatcodes or patches to make the game a bit easier for beginners?

kazekirifx

The saga continues... Will the evil Monte Carlo be revived again? Will we ever get to the Rustytroid games? All of these questions are... NOT answered in the video. Check out another fun game using the Rusty engine!

kazekirifx

New episode of PC-88 Paradise! It's about time we covered one of the Hudson/Nintendo games. Here's Mario Bros. Special!

kazekirifx

Finally got around to the second Xak game! Find out if Latok ever finds his father, "Dork"!

kazekirifx

I made a video about another well-known and common PC-98 title. It was actually the game that got me into PC-98 in the first place. I'd love to hear you guys' feedback on my video about the game.

kazekirifx

New video! You may know Enix for the Dragon Quest series, but did you know they also made a similar turn-based RPG on the NEC PC-88 in 1991? Watch to learn all about it!

kazekirifx

The Legend of Heroes IV video is finally done. I wanted to go even further into all the differences between the PC-98 and Windows versions, but if I had covered everything it would have been an even longer video - probably too long. I'm sure I already gave more detail than the average viewer is going to care to watch. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy the video and I'd love to hear your feedback.

kazekirifx

Hi guys. Just completed a video about "The Story of Melroon" by dB-SOFT. Have you played this game? Let me know what you think of the video.

kazekirifx

kazekirifx

On this episode of PC-88 Paradise I suffered all the way through the original Valis game from 1986 for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

kazekirifx

Hey guys. This time I did a video on the second Farland Story game. Enjoy!

kazekirifx

I made a video on the Slayers game. Included in the video are a few ways that you can improve the game's sound. Check it out.

kazekirifx

Time for the 3rd Farland Story game. Hope you guys enjoy the video!

amazin

Your series is so good (not only about Farland Story, but PC88/98 in general) that it prompted me to buy a PC9821.

So, what I wanted to say is DAMN YOU!!!! (shakes fist to cloud), I mean, thank you very much!

Cheers

- Carlos

kazekirifx

kazekirifx

Quote from: amazin on June 10, 2023, 01:50:29 AMYour series is so good (not only about Farland Story, but PC88/98 in general) that it prompted me to buy a PC9821.

So, what I wanted to say is DAMN YOU!!!! (shakes fist to cloud), I mean, thank you very much!

Cheers

- Carlos

Yeah. I wonder if I should emphasize more on my channel that owning a real PC-98 is not an easy hobby. It's really only for people who like old machines and tinkering. So, anyway. How is the 9821 working out?

amazin

Still in Japan, in the proxy. I'll be gathering a few extra parts here and there over the next month (or so) before bringing it all over to the UK. Got a 9821Ce and a 9821Ce2. First one is not working, second one works but it's as rusty as the Titanic.

That's my idea of fun :-)

kazekirifx

Quote from: amazin on June 12, 2023, 08:27:24 AMStill in Japan, in the proxy. I'll be gathering a few extra parts here and there over the next month (or so) before bringing it all over to the UK. Got a 9821Ce and a 9821Ce2. First one is not working, second one works but it's as rusty as the Titanic.

That's my idea of fun :-)

Sounds excellent! I actually bought two of the exact same model of my 9821 and mixed and matched parts to get a pretty good working system. Good luck.

kazekirifx

I also did the fourth Farland Story game. Please forgive the thumbnail. :)

amazin

Quote from: kazekirifx on June 26, 2023, 08:18:04 AMI also did the fourth Farland Story game. Please forgive the thumbnail. :)

Ooo new episode! Thanks!

kazekirifx

amazin

Lovely! I was going to ask if it was the beginning of a series.

Watched it last night, very good episode.

Thanks again!

kazekirifx

Quote from: amazin on July 10, 2023, 08:02:07 PMLovely! I was going to ask if it was the beginning of a series.

Watched it last night, very good episode.

Thanks again!

Awesome! Thanks for watching.

And by the way, here's my new video:

kazekirifx

Time for another well-known PC-88 title. Here's Super Mario Bros. Special!

kazekirifx

I finally return to my ongoing coverage of the Xak series with this new video on Fray for MSX. Check it out.

kazekirifx

An 8bit metroidvania with music by Yuzo Koshiro?! Yes please! Everything you ever wanted to know about "The Scheme" (and more) are included in the video - even the strange indie sequel!

kazekirifx

amazin

Quote from: kazekirifx on August 14, 2023, 10:11:44 AMI finally return to my ongoing coverage of the Xak series with this new video on Fray for MSX. Check it out.

Late reply, I'm a bit late with your videos, but this one I watched when it came out, and it was fscking AWESOME, I would never have guessed that Fray had some platform and shmup elements to it!

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Thanks ever so much for your work.

kazekirifx

Quote from: amazin on October 03, 2023, 04:19:46 AMLate reply, I'm a bit late with your videos, but this one I watched when it came out, and it was fscking AWESOME, I would never have guessed that Fray had some platform and shmup elements to it!

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Thanks ever so much for your work.

Thanks. Really glad you enjoyed that video! Took forever for me and my brother to capture all the footage and make it. :(

Anyway, here's my new video: Dead of the Brain.