X68000 XVI - SCSI2SD Problems

Started by ShortyBanana, May 26, 2021, 11:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShortyBanana

Hi All,
  I have a X68000 XVI and a SCSI2SD and have followed the faq but can't get the X68000 to see any SCSI devices (it times out after 5 seconds with none detected).  I've tried SCSIID 0, 1, 2 and 3 to no avail.
  When I switch on the X68000 with the SCSI2SD in (internal) The SCSI2SD flash one long flash and then one short, I can't find any reference on SCSI2SD sites about what the LED might mean.
  I've burnt the V4 image and set the size to 1000MB in scsi-util in windows.
  The one "odd" thing is the SCSI cable has one pin not connected but wired off to connect somewhere else (no idea where, LED maybe?)  I can't see this mentioned in any other SCSI cable guides - Picture for idea.
  Also the boot screen showing SCSI devices doesn't even show anything at 0, (i.e. 0-7 all disconnected).

Anyone got any ideas?  ta!

Jehuty

The Wire should be for the HDD LED.
Is the Fuse in the XVI ok ? I think, because of the flashing LED.
Did you set boot from scsi in switch.x ?

Cyothevile

Quote from: ShortyBanana on May 26, 2021, 11:49:10 AMHi All,
  I have a X68000 XVI and a SCSI2SD and have followed the faq but can't get the X68000 to see any SCSI devices (it times out after 5 seconds with none detected).  I've tried SCSIID 0, 1, 2 and 3 to no avail.
  When I switch on the X68000 with the SCSI2SD in (internal) The SCSI2SD flash one long flash and then one short, I can't find any reference on SCSI2SD sites about what the LED might mean.
  The one "odd" thing is the SCSI cable has one pin not connected but wired off to connect somewhere else (no idea where, LED maybe?)  I can't see this mentioned in any other SCSI cable guides - Picture for idea.
  Also the boot screen showing SCSI devices doesn't even show anything at 0, (i.e. 0-7 all disconnected).

Pull your SD card out and try to write the image with win32diskimager.

Does the LED do the same thing? The XVI doesn't need special driver in SRAM at all. It will load it automatically if there is no floppy in the computer.

If you are still having LED trouble it will be how you made your cable.. Specifically you may have one or two wires on incorrect pin. Your scsi2sd with the LED Issue is when it has data transfer errors which is why you should rule out sd card first

ShortyBanana

Quote from: Jehuty on May 26, 2021, 07:13:47 PMThe Wire should be for the HDD LED.
Is the Fuse in the XVI ok ? I think, because of the flashing LED.
I guess so considering the LED flashes?, where is this fuse?
Quote from: Jehuty on May 26, 2021, 07:13:47 PMDid you set boot from scsi in switch.x ?
I did yes.

Thanks for the tips!

ShortyBanana

Quote from: Cyothevile on May 26, 2021, 10:08:57 PM
Quote from: ShortyBanana on May 26, 2021, 11:49:10 AMHi All,

Pull your SD card out and try to write the image with win32diskimager.

Does the LED do the same thing? The XVI doesn't need special driver in SRAM at all. It will load it automatically if there is no floppy in the computer.

If you are still having LED trouble it will be how you made your cable.. Specifically you may have one or two wires on incorrect pin. Your scsi2sd with the LED Issue is when it has data transfer errors which is why you should rule out sd card first

I didn't make the cable, it came with it, does anyone still make the cables "round here"?  Ta!

squeeb

You can find them on Yahoo, but like everything with this machine, not cheap ;)

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p822941592
X68000 SUPERHD

Jehuty

No, the XVI doesn´t need the SASI driver while it has SCSI, but you have to set boot from scsi, hdd or std.

But when you could boot a floppy, can you access the scsi via c: oder d: ?

When you start the scsi2sd util on your PC, is the SD Card with the right size recogniced ?

incrediblehark

Hi, did you ever figure out what the issue was? I may be having a similar problem.