Trying to get SCSI2SD 5.5 working on XVI

Started by efs, June 11, 2020, 04:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efs

Hello friends,

I have an XVI, and have just received the last of all the parts to get the HDD images up and running on it. I have a SCSI2SD 5.5 with CEN50 adapter to be used externally on the back of the unit. (Using this tutorial)

Currently I'm trying to get the MasterDisk V3 to boot, and I've tried flashing all sorts of different images beforehand, but every time I try to power on the computer (with FDDs ejected, of course) I get the "insert floppy" prompt every time anyway.

I made sure to configure scsi2sd-util as described in the wiki page (updated firmware too), and set the SCSI ID in switch.x to match the ones I set in the utility. Still, it gives me the same issue. Observing the SCSI2SD as I turn the XVI on, there is a brief flash of light from its LED on boot, so I assume it's getting power.

Some more misc info:
-I am using a 16GB microSD card. Overkill for this purpose but it's the only free one I have lying around right this second, and as long as sector count, etc. is set up correctly in the util, it should work, right?

-The vendor who I bought the SCSI2SD from had two types of adapters, CEN50 and MDB50. CEN looked like the one I needed, and it fits in the port, so I assume that was the correct one.

-I have the boot option set as STD, but I wonder if changing it to the relevant SCSI ID could make things work. Not taking my chances yet though.

Does anyone have any idea what the roadblock could be in this situation? I'm so close to getting it working.

Jehuty

Could you access the scsi drive via the Masterdisk ?
Typing dir c: should give you the directory of the image.

If so the scsi2sd is working, if not the issue is there.

If you can access try the matching scsi id or HD id and hold HELP on boot to select boot partition.

Is the fuse on scsi pcb in your XVI ok ?

How long does it take until the bootscreen comes up ?

Is your Battery ok ?

efs

Quote from: Jehuty on June 11, 2020, 05:50:00 PMCould you access the scsi drive via the Masterdisk ? Typing dir c: should give you the directory of the image.

The SCSI2SD with MasterDisk image is not being detected by the X68K so I am using a Human68K floppy as a boot disk.

Typing dir c: leads to a "Drive name not found".

Quote from: Jehuty on June 11, 2020, 05:50:00 PMIf you can access try the matching scsi id or HD id and hold HELP on boot to select boot partition.

This doesn't seem to do anything.

Quote from: Jehuty on June 11, 2020, 05:50:00 PMIs the fuse on scsi pcb in your XVI ok ?

No idea, haha.

Quote from: Jehuty on June 11, 2020, 05:50:00 PMHow long does it take until the bootscreen comes up ?

About 10 seconds.

Quote from: Jehuty on June 11, 2020, 05:50:00 PMIs your Battery ok ?

I think so, the XVI was refurbished when I got it, all caps replaced, PSU replaced, battery too.

Jehuty

Not the scsi2sd with Masterdisk image, with V4 image.
With accessing the sd card via Masterdisk i meant if you could access the V4 Image after booting Masterdisk with the Floppy drive.
Normaly after boot up the Masterdisk "Dir c:" should bring you the directory of the first partition on sd card. If so the card is ok and you can try to find why it is not booting.
But, like your x68k, it comes to a error like drive not found the issue is before.

I think 10 seconds is too long. Check the fuse on the PCB with the external scsi connector.
Seems to be blown. When my XVI arrived the bootscreen need some long seconds too, after replacing the fuse it was faster. And with blown fuse your scsi won´t work correct.

hyrulebr

Isn't Masterdisk V3 (I only know V2) a floppy image? Does sd2scsi bootss from a floppy image? I don't think so.

Jehuty

Yes, Masterdisk is a Floppy image.
But when you boot it you should be able to access the scsi2sd (with V4 image) vid "dir c:" even you can´t boot from scsi.