Pin outs for SNES AVout

Started by CNadolski, June 11, 2004, 12:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNadolski

If you look at the SNES AVout from the ridge side pointing up, the numbers count up, from the top down, then right to left.

The pins are the following:[ol type=\'1\'][li]Red Out[/li][li]Green Out[/li][li]Composite Sync Out[/li][li]Blue Out[/li][li](blank)[/li][li](blank)[/li][li]Super VHS Y[/li][li]Super VHS Chroma[/li][li]Composite Video Out[/li][li]VDD (power)[/li][li]Left Audio (not 100% sure)[/li][li]Right Audio[/li][/ol]
So, in theory, the SNES supports S-Video as well as full component RGB video (I've actually played the SNES using S-Video, there's less color blurring).  Also, you can use the N64 and GameCube audio-video cables, since they are reverse-compatible with the SNES.

Taking a look at the schematic, I doubt that the SNES supports digital audio, because although there is a signal going to the digital signal processor, it's a bus signal, not an SPDIF, digital RCA, or something else that's useable.

NFG

Why are you telling us about the AV port?  This information's been on gamesx.com since about 1996.  

"component" typically refers to YPrPb video, not RGB.  When you say "component RGB" it's confusing.  Yes, RGB is technically a component video format, but since DVD players came out  the term component is never used with RGB.  The SNES does NOT output component video, only RGB.  The SNESjr does NOT output RGB or Svideo, the N64 has no RGB, and the NTSC GameCube has no RGB.  The PAL GC has RGB but no Svideo.

As for Digital Audio, you're right - you need to add another chip to convert the digital audio to something a TOSlink or coax connection can use.

CNadolski

Yeah, sorry I posted the AV info.  I didn't realize it until about 5 minutes ago that you guys already had it up there.  I would have deleted my post.  Now I feel dumb.

EDIT: on the website, it actually says "AV Port Pinouts: Nintendo 64".  So, to the casual observer, they probably don't realize that the SNES and N64 AV outs are very similar.  Perhaps the webmaster could change it to "AV Port Pinouts: SNES/N64"