Troubleshooting X68000 XVI CZ-634C which just died

Started by vintage.digital, December 11, 2019, 12:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vintage.digital

I finally got a working unit, but that didn't last long. The computer came to me with an ATX adapter and a PSU. I had the ATX PSU connected to the X68k and plugged into a surge protector. I turned the surge protector on and heard a clicking sound and haven't seen a power light on the computer since.

I'm really hoping that just the PSU has died.

I've attached a photo of the ATX adapter. Would there be any reason to suspect this part as an issue? It's sealed but it looks like they made the modifications necessary for this machine.

Would it be safe to connect another ATX power supply and try it again?

IMG_1926.jpg

NFG

I'm a big fan of the 'try it again' theory.  In my experience, ATX power supplies don't like to be under-utilized, and I've seen a few totally or partially die when they've been asked to do very little, like this.

If you haven't got another computer to try that ATX PSU on, try another PSU with this computer.

I mean, I assume you don't have any tools (like a multimeter) to measure the voltages coming out of the PSU, right?

That little box probably doesn't do much more than invert the power-on signal from the computer to PSU.  The ATX standard is the reverse of the X68000 configuration, so there's a small inverter chip inside that flips the signal.