Sharp Cyberstick on Sega Mega drive / Genesis

Started by Jehuty, May 17, 2019, 03:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jehuty

I am playing around with an Sharp Cyberstick and found that there are some games on Sega Genesis which have an analog modus.

But i can´t find a wiring Diagramm. The diagramms i found are all to connect a Genesis pad to the X68000 - but i need it reverse.

So a look into the pinout tells me that pins 1-5 (U,D,L,R and +5V) are the same. Theoretical on an Digitalpad. So i need to get GND from pin 9 to 8.

But what is with the other pins ?

First try: 6 - 6, 7 - 8, 8 - 9 (GND) and 9 - 7 - Testet with Galaxy Force II. The Game says Analog Modus in title Screen. But only C as Start button works and Left/Right is changed with Up/Down

Second try: 6 - 7, 7 - 8, 8 - 9 (GND), 6 - 6  (This is the reverse of the 6 Button to X68000 wiring) - Again GFII says analog modus. But this time UP/Down is equal Left/Right at the same Time.

So anyone who build an working Adapter ?

Jehuty

Segasonicfan

Hi,

Do you have access to one of these controllers?  I know that Micomsoft made an analog controller for Sega Genesis but it's hard to come by.  As far as I know, nobody has posted info with schematics or even PCB pictures.

I imagine the analog is encoded similar to the master system trackball and sports paddle type stuff, strobing the clock and dividing the MUX output down into "steps" to essentially make a digital pot.  It's somewhat misleading that these are called "analog controllers" - they are actually more like A/D sticks.

Anyway, if you are willing to take pictures of the circuit board I would be more than happy to help reverse engineer one of these.
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

NerdyBrothers

Quote from: Jehuty on May 17, 2019, 03:26:27 AMSecond try: 6 - 7, 7 - 8, 8 - 9 (GND), 6 - 6  (This is the reverse of the 6 Button to X68000 wiring) - Again GFII says analog modus. But this time UP/Down is equal Left/Right at the same Time.

Sorry to resuscitate an old thread, but I've been trying to the same thing and there's not much info out there. Did you get this working? I think you got further than most. I looked up the Japanese manual and there are some "input" codes that change/reverse the joystick behavior, so maybe that's what's going on.

Jehuty

No i didn´t get it to work. Meanwhile i own a XE-AP1 and look into it. It seems that there is a IC on the traces from the MD/PC switch. Don´t know what this is for.

NerdyBrothers

Quote from: Jehuty on September 30, 2023, 01:03:20 AMNo i didn´t get it to work. Meanwhile i own a XE-AP1 and look into it. It seems that there is a IC on the traces from the MD/PC switch. Don´t what this is for.

I think you were closer than you think. If you translate the JP manual, there are shortcuts that reverse the behavior of the analog controls. For instance, you hold "C" and the "reset" button "Stick front and forth direction reversal" is the bad google translation.

This may be what was going on with your CyberStick:

"If you do the simultaneous mode at the same time, you can enter the double travel mode / stick front and rear direction reversal mode at the same time. For example, if you press the reset switch (RESET) while holding down the select button (SELECT), trigger button A, or C (on the panel), the amount of movement of the stick in the front, back, left and right directions will be doubled, and the front and back direction will be reversed"

In short, maybe try messing with the reset button? I purchased a XE-1AJ which should be native to the MD but I can't get it to work at all in analog mode. Similarly, I have a XE-1AP that works as intended.