Yet another MIDI card for X68000

Started by rkrenicki, May 03, 2019, 04:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkrenicki

I began work on a clone of the CZ-6BM1 MIDI Interface card a few months ago, Oddly enough, probably around the same time that TD-Linux started his MIDIori project.  I went in a slightly different direction of making a through-hole clone of the original instead of the surface mount version that he made.  I also stuck with the original 74S series logic instead of changing them out with more modern surface mount parts.

This is a nearly direct 1:1 clone of the original electrical design with the Tape Interface and MIDI In and Through parts removed, and 4 pin oscillators instead of traditional 2 pin crystals.

I have gone through a couple of revisions, and I have extra boards from every version available.  Each version is fully functional, but have various differences in Silkscreen/Layout/Footprints.   All versions have one DIN connector.  The last two versions have provisions for a lower profile Mini-DIN connector.   Version 3 needs a custom Mini-DIN to DIN adapter, and Version 4 uses an off-the-shelf PS2-to-AT keyboard adapter to get to DIN.

Version 1 has a Black PCB and no meaningful silkscreen
Version 2 has a Red PCB and some silkscreen
Version 3 has a Blue PCB, most silkscreen, Mini-DIN, Gold plate, and a complete re-layout to more closely match the original board
Version 4 has a White PCB, complete Silkscreen, Mini-DIN using a more standard pinout, and Gold plate

I am currently assembling my V4 board, but attached is a photo of the V3 board.

I will have a few boards available for sale.  The price is slightly higher than the MIDIori as there are more components and the DIP parts are more expensive than SMD parts.  I have a total of 10 Yamaha YM3802-X chips available, and all of them will be tested prior to shipping, even for the kits.    I just received them today, and testing will take a couple of days.. then I need to actually put together the kits themselves. so I am not quite ready for orders quite yet.   

That said, this is the pricing that I am looking for.

2x Assembled and Tested boards.   One is Version 2, one is Version 3.  -  $90+ship
8x Complete Kits.   You can choose your PCB version.  It will include assembly instructions for the specific version you order.  -  $75+ship
7x Bare PCBs.   You can choose your PCB version.  I will include assembly instructions and a BOM.  -  $16+ship

rkrenicki

The version 4 board showed up today, so I put them all side by side so you can see them all, and quickly assembled one "final" version, which will be my "daily driver" MIDI board.

I also modified some full sized DIN sockets to fit within the Z-axis constraints of the X68000 slots.  I can comfortably fit it with another card or the chassis itself above.

argniest

Thinking I would like to buy one for my x68000. Not sure which one to get though. I would need one assembled and ready to go though. Do you have any left like that?

Jehuty

Can you clone the Ram Card too ? That would be very nice.

Is it possible to Combine a Ram Card with an Midi Card ? the X68000 has only two I/O Ports and in one i have a scsi Card already.

rkrenicki

Quote from: Jehuty on May 03, 2019, 10:57:21 PM
Can you clone the Ram Card too ? That would be very nice.

Is it possible to Combine a Ram Card with an Midi Card ? the X68000 has only two I/O Ports and in one i have a scsi Card already.

I started working on a clone of a 4mb memory card, but I found that there are a number of programmable logic arrays that are used on all of the versions.   I started drawing out the schematic in KiCAD and I stopped once I discovered that.   I would like to try to reverse engineer it, but I have not really had the time to dedicate to that yet.

rkrenicki

Quote from: argniest on May 03, 2019, 03:52:09 PM
Thinking I would like to buy one for my x68000. Not sure which one to get though. I would need one assembled and ready to go though. Do you have any left like that?

There is no operational difference between the versions, it really boils down to the color of the board. 

I have one "ready to go" board, it is the Red Version 2.   The other complete board  that I have (Blue version), I am currently using to test YM3802 chips at the moment.

argniest

So what kind of MIDI cable do I need? do you have one that I could hookup to say an MT32 and your red ready-to-go card?  What is the process to purchase the red card from you?

rkrenicki

Quote from: argniest on May 04, 2019, 04:05:32 PM
So what kind of MIDI cable do I need? do you have one that I could hookup to say an MT32 and your red ready-to-go card?  What is the process to purchase the red card from you?

With the normal DIN connector (which that board does have), you just need a standard MIDI cable.

Otherwise, just send me a PM, and we can work out the details.

rkrenicki

It turns out that all of the YM3802's that I bought in the last batch are fakes.  None of them work.   I am working with the seller right now, but I am not hopeful that they can get actual chips at this point.

argniest

HI there, just wondered if you saw my PM. Am interested in the red card you were telling me about.
Thanks

rkrenicki

I did see it, but I have decided to wait selling either of my 2 known good YM3802 chips until I know I have a source for more.

I do have a line on at least one more chip in the near future, but I am not entirely sold on it being worth it.

crashman

Hi! any chance to get a card or a PCB?