Hurdles to overcome in the external SCSI2SD guide

Started by efs, April 24, 2019, 01:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efs

Greetings all,

Way back in 2013, in a fit of X68000 fever, I made the hasty (yet passionate!) decision to purchase a recapped, refurbished XVI (not HD) from Yahoo Auctions.

The excitement of owning one of these beauties was palpable, although my adrenaline rush ran dry in a couple of months, after I learned that I needed to do much more work before I could actually do anything on it. Namely, I needed a modern HDD adapter/solution, and all of them required basic electrical engineering/wiring skills; skills I did not possess.

Now, 6 years later, I am returning to the scene to finish what I started. It seems nowadays the most "stress-free" solution to getting an HDD image up and running is to follow this guide: https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:installing_scsi2sd_on_x68000_externally

At first glance, this all seems nice, but I'm prevented by a roadblock: the guide calls for a SCSI2SD V5.0b.

The SCSI2SD providers in my region (USA) seem to be completely sold out of this model; I can't find a single 5.0b board available to purchase. So, my question is: could a newer SCSI2SD board work? How would the rest of the guide change, if I used a newer revision of the SCSI2SD? Would it change at all?

I appreciate any wisdom you all can share with me on the subject. I'm really hoping I can finally achieve my dream and start using my XVI.

leonk

That’s the great thing about Wiki. You get to purchase a newer SCSI2SD and update it with your findings. ;)

I wrote that page and to be honest. I don’t know. Newer versions existed but everything was pushing this particular version for some reason. Let me see why I settled on it now ...

leonk

If I’m not mistaken, it’s because of their Wiki. It said x68000 was only tested on v5 and hence why I purchased it.

I don’t see why 5.1 won’t work. here it is from a US seller:  https://store.inertialcomputing.com/SCSI2SD-V5-1-p/scsi2sd-v5.1.htm

Don’t forever the add on adapter that converts it into an external drive. A 3D printed shell for this would also be neat (if they exist)

chadti99

thegirlg33k

I have a 5.1 working on an ACE internally. I think the guide was still spot on. I don't remember there being anything I had to do differently to get it working.

spud

I have a working ACE with internal SCSI2SD. Question: when I want to migrate that to an external solution, do I just need the appropriate hardware (mainly cables) and connect everything and will it work? Or do I have to do all the master bootdisk, bootset.x and switch.x editing again as per tutorial https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:installing_scsi2sd_on_x68000_externally? I'd assume that's all already in place for the internal setup and will continue working? I couldn't spot any differences in setup/parameters. Thanks!

LowDefAl

Im not a SxSI expert but don't think it should make a difference. The external and internal port are both connected to the same port on the motherboard so they are essentially the same to the machine.

spud

I can now confirm that it indeed simply continues to work (on my ACE) when moving an internally mounted SCSI2SD externally. Just get the cabling and power right and you're set :)