X68000 ACE Boot Problem

Started by mattsoft, November 18, 2018, 02:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattsoft

I have an X68000 ACE (non-HDD) that is having boot problems.

The power supply is new and tests good with all voltages. When plugged in, I get the standby light.

When I press the orange soft power button, the machine turns on -- the drives whir for a moment and the screen has RGB video but is black.

If I press the interrupt button on the top, I get the following error message in Japanese on screen: "I got an error. Please reset." (Google translated). If I hit reset, the message goes away. So the video appears to at least be displaying OK.

For troubleshooting, I've unplugged the SASI and floppy cables from the IO board. The battery has been removed and not replaced. I cannot get any lights on the keyboard.

This ACE has not been re-capped, and it's on my list to do, but other than bad caps, any other ideas where to look?

Thanks!

ShootTheCore

Someone with more specific knowledge than I do may chip in here, but I would try installing a fresh battery first thing, and recapping it second.  My guess is that the BIOS may not like the absence of a battery for holding settings.

It's good that it does have video and displays an error when you push interrupt - that means that it's at least partially working.  I've seen circuit damage around a leaking battery cause all kinds of boot issues on these models.

mattsoft

Thanks, yeah, I'll put a new battery in first and see what I can get out of it. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll start the recapping.

I just tried to connect a 3.6v rechargeable with test clips...voltage to board is good but same problem. Will start recapping this weekend. Fingers-crossed!