Floppy drives - How to make them not eat disks?

Started by DejahThoris, September 17, 2018, 10:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DejahThoris

Finally got my CZ-600 up and running and have found out that drive 0 likes to grab hold of disks and not let them go.  A little force gets them back out, but it scrapes them up.

Is there any sort of guide for adjusting these?  The wiki only really spoke to recapping them.

DMR

Do you have a case on? I've found that this happens to me if the case is off.

Maybe you need to add some padding to push down on the first floppy drive?

kamiboy

This could be due to bad reassembly causing the drive to be slightly tilted. Tighten all screws and pay attention to the order parts should be put back into the case.

leonk

If you can get the FD to work, strongly consider moving to FDX68..  It's especially a godsend for compact users with their 3.5" floppy drive that seem to be made from toilet paper.

X-Col

@ leonk  ;D

Just reading about this FDX 68, sounds interesting! Wonder how you would mount this in the Compact case?
Anyway my disk drives are both working fine at the moment, so not necessary. I may get one in the future however for when one or both drives inevitably fail.

I wonder if this would enable a working backup of Y2? Superdeadite  ;)

@ DejahThoris

Persist with the original floppy drives, it's always nice to get the original hardware working. I believe it's a more authentic experience using floppies. One of the drives in my ACE had this problem but I cleaned and re-capped them both, they worked fine after that. I had problems with Drive 0 for ages in my Compact, but eventually got it working perfectly by re-capping and aligning it  :)

leonk

You can see how it gets used by looking at the maker’s twitter feed. he likes many local x68000 users that use the device.

http:twitter.com/kugimoto0715