FDD emulator FDX68 - Floppy Disk Drive Integration Tools per X68000

Started by Max, July 25, 2018, 09:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonk

You are correct. On compact with their horrible 3.5” drives this is a must. Those units also have an external switch to easily switch the boot priority on drives.

leonk

Max

leonk

after shipping that’s an expensive cable.

Why would anyone use the internal ribbon cable is beyond me as well.

TortoiseFire

@leonk,  excited about the FDX68. Even though it is mounted externally is it possible to disable the internal real A+B drives and make the FDX68 emulate A and B? I ask this because of keeping compatibility with floppy games.

leonk

yes. you can do that. very easy on x68k systems have switch to switch  internal to drive 2/3 and then external is configured to 0/1.

caius

Quote from: leonk on November 12, 2018, 04:18:47 PM
yes. you can do that. very easy on x68k systems have switch to switch  internal to drive 2/3 and then external is configured to 0/1.

As far as I now only Compact models have this switch on the back.

leonk

Nothing is stopping you from taking the cover off, disconnecting the internal drives, and plugging the FDX68 into the main PCB.  It's the same pinout as the external port - just different connector (in this case, your standard PC internal connector!)

If you use external, you boot FDX68 as drive 2/3.  I do that to test the device all the time; boot HumanOS, install the bootloader into SRAM, and then be able to boot SCSI2SD.  No need for floppy drive.

caius

Quote from: leonk on November 21, 2018, 01:59:44 AM
Nothing is stopping you from taking the cover off, disconnecting the internal drives, and plugging the FDX68 into the main PCB.  It's the same pinout as the external port - just different connector (in this case, your standard PC internal connector!)

I know this.But for example Pro internal FDDs have a separate connector for extra FDD signals so you can't use this device.

If you use external, you boot FDX68 as drive 2/3.  I do that to test the device all the time; boot HumanOS, install the bootloader into SRAM, and then be able to boot SCSI2SD.  No need for floppy drive.

Can all software boot from FDD 2/3?

leonk

Yes.. they all can boot from 2/3.  You only run into problem with multi-disk games.  Many games are coded to look for other disks only on A/B and not C/D.

caius

Quote from: leonk on November 21, 2018, 05:56:36 AM
Yes.. they all can boot from 2/3.  You only run into problem with multi-disk games.  Many games are coded to look for other disks only on A/B and not C/D.

Can you try the game Mugen Senshi Valis II with FDX68 set as 0/1 drives?Put DISK A in drive 0 and DISK B in drive 1 and, after loading,  see if you get a prompt to insert DISK D in drive 0.This game uses the autoeject fuction in a different way than the others.

P.S.
Is source of FDX68 public?

Max

caius

I'm designing an adapter to connect X68000 to HxC and at same time emulate some needed proprietary FDD signals.Tests are going well, I attach 3D preview of the solution for internal FDDs of Compact and external of all other models.

Max

ehy mates...things seem to move so well for our Sharp X68K......I'm really keen on that and thanks a lot for putting your endeavours in this.....I surely stay tuned for this project too....
cheers

caius

An update of my projects.I received the bare boards of my X68000 to HxC adapter (I attach picture of two assembled units), it works fine on my Pro model connected to its 37 pin D-SUB connector emulating both 0/1 and 2/3 drives with one HxC floppy emulator.I was not able to test the Compact internal solution because my Compact is faulty.Now I will do some little fixes to my design (mainly for a better LED handling ) then I will send again projects files to my PCB manufacturer.As for the Compact internal solution I may need some volunteers, for this purpose I was also be able to obtain some spare FFC 34 pin cables for internal FDD (see picture attached).

leonk

You should probably give this project a name and start a new thread for it.  FDX68 is a very different project from the one you have here from my understanding.

mattsoft

Quote from: caius on January 04, 2019, 06:55:28 AM
An update of my projects.I received the bare boards of my X68000 to HxC adapter (I attach picture of two assembled units), it works fine on my Pro model connected to its 37 pin D-SUB connector emulating both 0/1 and 2/3 drives with one HxC floppy emulator.I was not able to test the Compact internal solution because my Compact is faulty.Now I will do some little fixes to my design (mainly for a better LED handling ) then I will send again projects files to my PCB manufacturer.As for the Compact internal solution I may need some volunteers, for this purpose I was also be able to obtain some spare FFC 34 pin cables for internal FDD (see picture attached).

This is very cool. Any progress? I'm going to pursue the FDX68 route, but this looks like it might be more turnkey.

caius

I had the chance to assemble the second revision of my adapter (the one for external 37pin SUB-D connector) which fixed some issue with LED handling and it works fine on my X68000 Pro model , I was able to emulate both 0/1 and 2/3 units with the HxC foppy emulator and correctly load multi-disk games.I have no time to go through the software library so I'm looking for some volunteers.In next days I will post a video of the working unit as well assemble the Compact internal solution (looking for volunteers here too).I'll keep you updated.

P.S.
Without taking anything away from it I think the FDX68 is a good and smart solution but a little too cumbersome for an average user

ShootTheCore

Hey Caius, I volunteer to help test your adapter - happy to help in any way that I can.  I have an X68030.

skpstmgs

@Caius I would be interested in testing out the external version of your HxC adapter as well. I have an XVI model. I don't have a 37-pin cable at the moment though. Would it need to be male-to-female? Also, we probably need a new thread for your solution since it's different from the FDX68.

mattsoft

Indeed, I have an ACE and an HxC for Lotharek and would be willing to test internal or external.

caius

Quote from: skpstmgs on February 20, 2019, 12:05:01 PM
@Caius I would be interested in testing out the external version of your HxC adapter as well. I have an XVI model. I don't have a 37-pin cable at the moment though. Would it need to be male-to-female? Also, we probably need a new thread for your solution since it's different from the FDX68.

The adapter has a male 37 pin D-SUB connector so you don't need any cable, just plug in to the female one on the rear of your X68000.I'll start a new thread ASAP.

DejahThoris

I'm also really interested in this!

I have a CZ600, Expert, and Pro that I can test with.

leonk

You should probably give this project a name and start a new thread for it.  FDX68 is a very different project from the one you have here from my understanding.

It would be a shame for the great work seen ^^^^ to be lost in a different thread.

mez

Hi Caius
Volonteer too
i own a x68000 expert
thanks

caius

OK, guys, thanks for your offers.I'll probably not able to assemble units for you all but only a couple of them (for X68000 models with 37 pin D-SUB externa FDD connector)
I'll contact you in private, perhaps it's better those already equipped with an HxC floppy emulator in order to speed up the test.After testing the device I will start a proper dedicated thread here.

X-Col

Great work caius!!

I would volunteer to test the internal Compact solution but dont have an HxC  :'(

Where did you get those replacement ribbon cables, been looking for these forever as mine are shot!  :o

caius

Quote from: X-Col on March 10, 2019, 09:31:58 AM
Great work caius!!

I would volunteer to test the internal Compact solution but dont have an HxC  :'(

Where did you get those replacement ribbon cables, been looking for these forever as mine are shot!  :o

You need an HxC (or Gotek) to test my internal solution.About the 34 pin FFC cables, I made them fabricate by a manufacturer.

huggyone76

Hi everybody !
For those who tried the FDX68. We can read here (from Gimons) :
http://retropc.net/gimons/fdx68/emu_x68k.html
But also here (translation from Leonk) :
https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:adding_an_fdx68_to_x68000
that we can use "D68" images formats files... Is it an error and we must read "D88" ?

Thank you !

X-Col

Quote from: caius on March 10, 2019, 06:26:50 PMYou need an HxC (or Gotek) to test my internal solution.About the 34 pin FFC cables, I made them fabricate by a manufacturer.

@caius How did the testing go on these? Starting to have issues with my internal floppies on my Compact.

caius

I sent a unit to an user here, he did for me some testing with mixed results.The board worked fine for me so I don't know what happened.Anyway, I'm going to revisit the design in some time.

amigo-mexicano

Quote from: caius on August 07, 2019, 11:05:45 PMI sent a unit to an user here, he did for me some testing with mixed results.The board worked fine for me so I don't know what happened.Anyway, I'm going to revisit the design in some time.

Hey @caius , sorry for the necropost, did you ever got your adapter working? I need one exactly like that one for my X68k PRO (external).
From Mexico City... Amigo-Mexicano!
Also known as: "compil3r" || video-juegos.com

aotta

Sorry to re-resume the post, but i'd like to have an adapter like this too... if it's abandoned, could @caius share gerber's files here for some further tests? 

caius

I made a new board lately and successfully tested it :

https://youtu.be/Va8uD7YivJE

'FLIP-FLOP' emulator will be available for sale ASAP.

kanjiology

mez

Quote from: caius on April 03, 2023, 11:38:19 PM'FLIP-FLOP' emulator will be available for sale ASAP.

Fantastic ! Of course I'm in for 2 or 3 cards !

aotta

I love the FLIP-FLOP emulator idea, and i'm waiting it will be on the market, but i'd like to complete the db37 to idc34 connector i made:

It works with my gotek with FlashFloppy firmware, but it not support multi disk options and insert / eject feature of X68000. I left some pin to play with them, but i didn't find any documentation about how the four "Option" signal neither the insert , eject, and other proprietary ones works in the X68000. Any hints about how to find more info about them?

aotta

I made great progress with a new board based on an arduino nano to handle the i/o X68k's' special signals.
The project is open source, and until now works on most of (only a few since now, to be honest ;) ) games i tested.

Here the first version, for who's interested:

https://github.com/aotta/X68KFDUINO