WIndows 95 english on FM Towns MA

Started by frankmonk, February 12, 2018, 07:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankmonk

Just wondering if there is any way to install and run W95 in english on FM Towns computers?
Would be nice if this can be used for some old dos and windows gaming then

SuperDeadite

Yes you can, but you there is a special version of Win 95 for Towns computers.  PC Win 95 is not compatible.  There is even Directx for Towns which you can still get off of vector.  Once up and running, pure Win 95 software will work.  If you want to go all out, there are even Win 95 accelerator cards for Towns to beef up performance on the 486 models.  Be warned though, Win 95 likes to take over the machine, and will break compatibility with some TownsOS games.

Personally, I don't recommend it.  You can build a great DOS/Win95/98 machine for cheap and have a lot more fun.  Win 95 is probably the best reason to own the Pentium 90 Towns though.

frankmonk

Thanks for the reply, Superdeadite!

I thought that I might can safe up some space on my desk and remove my dos/win95 machine and use the fm towns for all that instead.
Is there any known list of games that are no longer running/supported when win95 is installed? I dont mind at all as long as all the shooting games are still playing fine :D

luckily my fm towns came equipment with a P75 133mhz, 100MB Memory, Ratoc Network Card but also an FMT-3631 Power9000 videocard which seems to be an upgrade card especially made for win95 (as far as I could find out so far)
I guess midi is also supported in win95 via FMT-403A?!

I might give it a try and install it on a seperate harddrive to leave the townsos installation untouched.

where can I find a link for the FM towns Win95 eng. iso?

SuperDeadite

MIDI on Towns is a bit of a mess.  A lot of the Western DOS ports support MIDI, but only via Serial to MPU-401.  Japanese games usually support the interface cards, but they all do something slightly different.  Murder Club DX and Genocide use the audio input jacks for internal mixing, but Xak III doesn't.

Your setup sounds like the machine to use 95 on for sure.  No idea about iso downloads.  I do have an original 95 CD, but its the upgrade version so Win 3.11 needs to be installed first. I do have a Win 3.11 CD, but I don't have the floppy disks required to install it. XD