News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Megadrive 3 button pad

Started by vanpeebles, February 26, 2018, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanpeebles

I have a ton of megadrive three button pads about, rather than use stick out adapters etc. I was thinking of opening one up, cutting the wires and swapping them about. Are three button pads fine for the x68000?

samaron

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. The X68000 only supports two buttons, so start and C would obviously not work (or you could connect them in parallel with other buttons). Just look at the pinouts and swap around the wires. Any controller could be repurposed, but some would need a bit more work.

vanpeebles

I'll have a go, and report back  ;D I think the old style megadrive pad would look the part with the x68000 too.

samaron

If it has a multiplex chip, you might need to bypass it and connect the wires directly to the necessary points.

vanpeebles

Ah reading online, I think that is why people use the port adapters, as it needs an extra chip to handle the signal for the other buttons. I wonder if a two button master system button would be better?

neko68k

For master system you'll move pin 8 to pin 9 (ground) and pin 9 to pin 7 (trigger b). You may want to swap 6 and 7 if you want your buttons in the opposite order.

Max

sorry if I butt in the conversation I'd like to choose a good joystick/joypad to play games like StreetFighter which need 6 buttons which one would you suggest me?...I have a 6-button megadrive joypad but as I am a noob at this stuff what am I supposed to do in order to use it? Any adapters or a customized one would be the only way.....?  I saw the Capcom stick and it seems good but it works only with its adapter, the one found around or in the SSF2 box If I am not wrong....
Thanks mates