News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Anyone using RASCSI?

Started by hyrulebr, December 07, 2017, 10:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hyrulebr

Hi

I bought this adapter a few weeks ago and I will try RASCI as soon as it arrives (already have a raspberry pi 3)

adapter
https://www.kadenken.com/shopdetail/000000000643/

Info on RASCI
http://www.geocities.jp/kugimoto0715/rascsi/

Anyone using it?

Besides the scsi HD, MO or CD emulator, you can use it as an ethernet adapter (Neptune-X driver) and as a Windrv connection.

samaron

I am planning to use it, but haven't looked into it yet. It was recommended, and seems to be very convenient. Didn't know it needed a slightly complicated adapter, thought it was just a simple cable. Guess I have to grab one of those.

takka

I am using it with X68000 XVI.
Can change the CD Image from X68000.

famiac

Why use it when the SCSI2SD is still the cheaper option?

neko68k

Quote from: famiac on December 07, 2017, 11:22:56 PM

Because it can fill every SCSI ID with a drive that pretends to be an HDD, CD-ROM, or MO drive _AND_ it supports being an Ethernet device also. IIRC you can also map folders to drives so you can have remote access to the drive from your normal PC. It's the winning solution for SCSI users for sure. Maybe no Ethernet with SASI/SxSI but drives should work within the limitations of SxSI.

samaron

When copying files and having to read and write the image file from the SD card all the time gets really tedious. This RaSCSI seem to eliminate that as it can emulate drives and load image files, and even map folders as neko68k mentioned. If you don't actually actively copy files back and forth, then I suppose a normal SD2SCSI and write a HDD image once with the needed software is sufficient.

hyrulebr

Quote from: samaron on December 07, 2017, 06:20:40 PM
I am planning to use it, but haven't looked into it yet. It was recommended, and seems to be very convenient. Didn't know it needed a slightly complicated adapter, thought it was just a simple cable. Guess I have to grab one of those.

You can use a direct cable but not recommended by the creator:

warning!
Due to the difference in electrical specifications between GPIO and SCSI, there is risk involved in direct connection. Conversion boards must be used to make an electrically safe connection. People who can not understand this risk should give up. Your X68000 is probably okay but Raspberry Pi has an unexpected load. The unexpected load is the sink current explained at the conversion board. Since there is no terminator in direct connection, a sink current of about 22 mA will be generated but since it exceeds the maximum drive capability of GPIO, it will not be able to drive up to near 0 V with low sink current. Incidentally, RaSCSI is running for several months, but it has not yet become a failure. Even if it breaks down, it is not an expensive item, so please consider it as a consumable item.

hyrulebr

Since I don't have the skills to make my own internal scsi cable for use with sd2scsi the price is very close to me and I already have a raspberry laying here...

vanpeebles

neko68k

Go to https://kadenken.com and search for rascsi. Any of those should be fine.

vanpeebles

Cheers, what is the difference between the different versions? :)

neko68k

They're the same just different makers. The cheap one is a kit you have to assemble.

vanpeebles

Do you it have it connected internally, or externally? :) And by what kind of cables?

hyrulebr

Quote from: vanpeebles on December 15, 2017, 08:12:02 PM
Do you it have it connected internally, or externally? :) And by what kind of cables?

Afaik all the adapter boards have an external SCSI connector. And I think is a better idea to keep raspberry outside the x68000 case... :P

vanpeebles

Ah so the one with the centronics connector should be a straight fit? Sorry for all the questions, but I've not had much luck with the scsi2sd yet :(

wbo

Quote from: hyrulebr on December 15, 2017, 11:10:00 PM
Afaik all the adapter boards have an external SCSI connector. And I think is a better idea to keep raspberry outside the x68000 case... :P

Actually K55 on the 68kMLA forums at https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/30399-rascsi-development-thread/& is working on an internal and an external of the RaSCSI boards.  The internal version is designed to be quite small and could potentially fit in an x68000 case although I don't think anyone has tested it on an x68000 yet.

He is designing the boards primarily for use in old MACs but their is no reason they wouldn't work in an x68000 since that is what RaSCSI was originally designed for.  Right now only the PCB designs are available but I beleive he plans to offer fully assembled boards in the near future once they have been fully tested.

samaron

Quote from: vanpeebles on December 16, 2017, 12:58:31 AM
Ah so the one with the centronics connector should be a straight fit? Sorry for all the questions, but I've not had much luck with the scsi2sd yet :(

It is actually a mini centronics 50-pin connector (MC50). Seems to be a bit obscure, so the other one with the SCSI-2 connector is much easier to find cable adapters for.

neko68k

Are you sure its mini centronics? I'm pretty sure the small ones that look like centronics are actually Micro-D.

samaron

In the picture it does look like the normal centronic connector on the back of the computer. Doing some searching did reveal that there are mini versions of those connectors. But I'll know for sure hopefully next week. :)

vanpeebles

On the back of my Pro, it looks like the large centronics type. I was thinking you could just plug the board in directly? No cables? :)

samaron

The adapter boards for sale can't be plugged in directly as they do not have the same plug. You would need a cable and maybe extra adapters. You could make your own adapter board with a large male centronics connector (the schematics are in the docs). Not sure how well it would work as you have a Raspberry Pi hanging from it. Might be a bit wonky.

samaron

As mentioned, it is most likely the mini version of the centronics connector. I can verify this in a day or two.

samaron

Board arrived today. As you can see, the centronics connector is tiny and cute compared to the normal one. :P I would recommend getting the other one with the SCSI2 connector, as it is much easier to find adapters/cables for.

neko68k

I'm still pretty sure that's Micro-D. The Sacom SCSI card has the same plug and the dimensions are close enough to the margin of error on my crappy ruler ;) Doesn't make it any easier to find pre-made cables though. The plugs alone are like $10 a piece on average.

https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/3m-electronic-solutions-division/10250-6212pc?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvPYQC1fAPULLtrrzXv%252bicZzrXDm0yAO48%3D

samaron

Ah! Then I stand corrected. Just saw mini-centronics mentioned a few places as if it were its own category of plugs. Micro-D it is!

This type of connector is used on the compact models too?

Anyway, in a few days I should receive an adapter and can finally hook up the Pi to the X68000 and try out the RaSCSI! The Pi is set up and prepped, just need that adapter plug for my cable...

neko68k

Yeah, same as the compact. Seems like it was common in Japan and gets some use in industrial applications.

kamiboy

That is actually not the connector used on the Compact XVI. The Compact XVI uses a different variety of SCSI, it is about the same size, but it uses pins and holes, instead of a rectangular slot like on the small connector pictured above. The above connectors were most popular on PC98 machines while X68000 preferred the other sort of size reduced SCSI connector. SCSI sure was a confusing mess. You really need to keep your wits about you when you buy cables, or you'll end up with the wrong sort.

neko68k

Oh sorry, the small one with pins/holes is probably HD50. The 030 is Micro-D. Here's the Sacom SCSI card.

leonk

According to the wiki:  https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:x68000_xvi_compact_external_scsi_converter

The compacts use MC50 connectors. I believe this is a cheap adapter that will convert the MC50 connector to a full size SCSI connector:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCSI-Micro-Mini-Centronics-MC50pin-Male-Cent50-CN50-C50-Female-External-Adapter/302206107008?hash=item465ce33d80:g:qxkAAOSwNnRYiUaW

This will allow you to use the same cable on compact as well as older X68K systems.

hyrulebr

Quote from: samaron on December 20, 2017, 04:32:01 AM
Board arrived today. As you can see, the centronics connector is tiny and cute compared to the normal one. :P I would recommend getting the other one with the SCSI2 connector, as it is much easier to find adapters/cables for.

Mine is still in Brazilian customs possession... :-[

But I bought the scsi 2 version. I already have the cable. Just waiting the board...  >:(

hyrulebr

Quote from: samaron on December 20, 2017, 04:37:37 PM
Anyway, in a few days I should receive an adapter and can finally hook up the Pi to the X68000 and try out the RaSCSI! The Pi is set up and prepped, just need that adapter plug for my cable...

Was the pi setup easy? Until now I just use "ready to use" sd card images from internet...

samaron

Not too bad. Used the official Raspbian Stretch release as recommended in the docs. I copied over the stretch files for the aibom adapter and placed them where I wanted them. The process would've been faster if I were familiar with Linux, but got through it without any major problems. Google is my friend. :P Still waiting for the cable adapter (hopefully here tomorrow). When that one arrives I will actually be able to try it out and hopefully it works. I do expect some minor hiccups due to PEBKAC.

samaron

Making some progress!

As expected, I ran into some PEBKAC. Once I ironed out that, I managed to mount the MDX library HDD image. :) Now I'll tackle the next step, which is to set up the network/host drivers.

samaron

Some more progress!

After some more pebkac, I managed to get a folder to work as a drive on the X68000. Instead of specifying an image file, you just write "bridge". For example "sudo ./rascsi -ID1 BRIDGE".

If you do not specify a folder when loading the driver on the X68000, it defaults to root. I made a folder called "share" that is shared over the network with samba, making file transfer between a Windows computer and the X68000 super simple. Literally drag'n'drop. A specific folder can be linked as drive by simply adding the folder path after the driver, for example "DEVICE = ¥SYS¥RASDRV.SYS /home/pi" or in my case it would simply be "DEVICE = ¥SYS¥RASDRV.SYS /share"

hyrulebr

Quote from: samaron on December 22, 2017, 08:41:05 AM
Not too bad. Used the official Raspbian Stretch release as recommended in the docs. I copied over the stretch files for the aibom adapter and placed them where I wanted them. The process would've been faster if I were familiar with Linux, but got through it without any major problems. Google is my friend. :P Still waiting for the cable adapter (hopefully here tomorrow). When that one arrives I will actually be able to try it out and hopefully it works. I do expect some minor hiccups due to PEBKAC.

My RaScsi adapter arrived!  :)

But I need some help. :-[

I already installed Raspian Stretch (lite version) and uncompressed rascsi.tar.gz (inside directory home/pi). Where I have to copy content of aibom directory? It should be in "Bin" directory?

samaron

No no, put the files rascsi, rasctl, rasdump and rascsidrv.ko in the /home/pi directory (be sure to use the ones from the aibom directory if you have that adapter). You can put these wherever you want, I just went with the home directory as it is the most convenient.

hyrulebr

Quote from: samaron on December 28, 2017, 06:00:54 AM
No no, put the files rascsi, rasctl, rasdump and rascsidrv.ko in the /home/pi directory (be sure to use the ones from the aibom directory if you have that adapter). You can put these wherever you want, I just went with the home directory as it is the most convenient.

Working!  ;D. Thank you!

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk6h2

Now I need to configure it to enter rascsi automatically. A friend told me about using a config file in /etc/rc.local. I'll try latter.

samaron

Great! I'll probably mostly use it to do file transfer between the X68000 and Windows. I tried to set mine up to execute the kernel module at boot, but haven't been able to get that to work yet. Also a bit stuck at the virtual network adapter part to get Internet access on the X68000. I'll figure this out eventually. :P

Otherwise this is a really great tool to have once it is up and running. Especially the file sharing part. Link to a folder on the Pi (that is shared with samba) as a drive on the X68000. Drag'n'drop sharing with modern Windows computers. Fantastic stuff!