Hunting for a Sega Saturn...

Started by Darkman, June 02, 2004, 12:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkman

Hi there,

I've always wanted a Saturn and now have the chance to get one, or maybe even 2  :D. I just wanted to know, which model is better: easier to mod, more reliable and not built cheaply?  I like the appearance of earlier models more...
Oh yeah, almost forgot - this will be a PAL Saturn, so no cool white J Saturns for me :(.

D.

Vertigo

If they look different, buy both and find out later. That's what I did anyway.
Alternatively you can check the modding instructions on gamesx.com because I'm sure it's mentioned there.

AntiPasta

well, it depends on what you want to do reallly. The earliest models (with the oval buttons) are easiest to perform the 60hz mod on (which you *must* do if you want to be a happy saturn gamer in PAL land  ;)  ), but the later models (with the round buttons) are the only ones for which modchips are still available. (dont know if modchip talk is allowed here, my apologies if I broke any rules)

Regarding the pads, the first model saturns come with bigger controllers with an odd D-pad, whereas the Model 2 Saturns (with the round buttons) have japanese-style controllers.

Agentspikey95

Best bet: Ebay

Buy a model 1, and 2, and their conrollers and mixmatch with say the model 2 boards in the model 1 case with the model 1 controller.
Why are you reading this?

Thanks AntiPasta, I didn't know that it was possible to add a refresh rate switch to a Saturn  :o. And yes, I'm from PAL territory and can't accept anything that has borders anymore. Been playing on the Dreamcast for a long time... After reading a tutorial of how to it on a model 2 machine I decided to look for a model 1.

Darkman

Doh! Forgot to log in the last time....

Scared0o0Rabbit

I personally prefer the model 2 saturn with a model 1 controller. I've had my model 2 apart plenty of times, and have added a region switch, a/v out, svideo out, and an amped headphone jack to my model 2 saturn. It's a fun system, though I seem to get more of a kick out of working on it than I do playing games on it lol.

Feeling Scared? ^_~

Akir the Telletubby Killer

I prefer the US Model 1 The best, mostly because it has prettier lights. The plastic covering them is also shinier then the rest and adds some pizazz!
By the way, you said that you were using a pal. It's really easy to make that mod. But trust me, DO NOT USE A DESOLDERING GUN! IT MAY REMOVE THE CONTACTS! If a contact is removed, certain modes may never work! Trust me, I had an experiance with this...

Martin

QuoteThanks AntiPasta, I didn't know that it was possible to add a refresh rate switch to a Saturn  :o. And yes, I'm from PAL territory and can't accept anything that has borders anymore. Been playing on the Dreamcast for a long time... After reading a tutorial of how to it on a model 2 machine I decided to look for a model 1.
remember.. most PAL games were optimised to run at full speed on the saturn.. so if you play them at 60hz then they wont have borders.. but will be too  :o fast!!
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

sneex

QuoteIt's really easy to make that mod. But trust me, DO NOT USE A DESOLDERING GUN! IT MAY REMOVE THE CONTACTS! If a contact is removed, certain modes may never work! Trust me, I had an experiance with this...
i hope you didnt discard you saturn if only a maximum of one contact from each jumper was removed. i did this to a saturn years ago and fixed it a month ago when i looked at the schematic realizing that jumpers like 10 and 11 shared a common point. i just made a wire coming off of 11 instead of both 10 and 11. it felt good fixing it. i knew jack about schematics when i tried to mod the first time. if you aren't as dumb as me, then nevermind. i AM going to find a way to put a loadlite in my saturn. people say it can't be done... pffft. boo to them.