Help Wanted: Rescue my FM-Towns

Started by famiac, September 04, 2016, 01:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famiac

Hey everyone

So i was trying to remove the cpu on my FM-Towns, and I decided to give chip quik removal alloy a shot.

Long story short, it didn't work so well, and my Hakko FR-300 did not like cleaning up the mess.

I'm offering $50 to the person who can remove the CPU and leave the motherboard intact. That's it. Just desolder the cpu. I don't want to end up with another broken FM-Towns

kamiboy

Oh, boy. Removing the CPU is a pain in the ass. I tried all of one pin before realising how futile it was with just a soldering iron. I had my pappy take the motherboard with him to his work where they had access to professional equipment, and even then he said it was a pain.

caius

What kind of package is the CPU?I guess PGA.Anyway, you can desolder it also with an heat gun but first you have to do practice on scrap boards.

kamiboy

Yup, PGA. And heatgun is prolly your best bet, but according to my pappy that motherboard has like 4 layers, so better be super careful.

famiac

Shit. Kamiboy is there any chance you could help me out here?

kamiboy

Sorry mate, after the job was done my pappy did tell me it was a one time thing, since it was such a pain.

Don't lose hope though, I am sure there are some pro modders who are up to the task. Ask around on shmups.

caius

I could do the job but I'm located in Europe.Some time ago I desoldered a big PGA custom from an Akumajou Dracula arcade board (which is a double layer one)

http://www.jammarcade.net/haunted-castle-repair-log-4/

famiac

Caius,

If nobody else comes forward in the next week, i will shoot you a PM. Thanks a lot for your offer!

@kamiboy, no worries man. Thanks anyway!

caius

OK.But first try to contact some repairers there in the States.I'm gonna to PM you some contacts.In the meanwhile, if you can, post some pictures of motherboard and CPU.