FPU Co-Processor for 68030

Started by costa, July 12, 2016, 08:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

costa

I am searching for one 68882 25Mhz for my 68030 Compact.
There are different models, and I am wondering if I can pickup any one as long as it it 25Mhz and pin compatible ?

Anyone here would have one available?

neko68k

Just so you know it doesn't really improve any games. Unless you're doing FPU madness yourself or you're running NetBSD it's pretty much pointless to have one.

costa

That is exactly the reason, NetBSD.
I want to play with it.

neko68k

How much RAM do you have? 12MB is barely cutting it for terminal programs. My base install with odds and ends(stuff for nfs, sshd, distccd) is at 45MB active right after boot. Most of that would be in swap if you were using stock max RAM and you would be having a bad time. Keep in mind that it takes ages to install and the first boot takes ages as well with little indication as to what exactly is happening. 'Updating fontconfig cache" takes so long the first it seems like it's hung. The vast majority of X11 programs will not work due to lack of MIT-SHM support in the very ancient video drivers.  I don't know if you have a Nereid or a Neptune-X but some kind of network card is essentially required for installing packages that aren't part of the base installation. Many packages are not available as binaries and must be built from scratch. Doing this on an 030 will be a waste of your life. Even with DISTCC and a high powered desktop doing the compiling it takes an eternity to run autoconf scripts and the like. If you have any questions though, feel free to ask me. I have used it extensively in emulation.

[edit]
Also other things of some importance. You need a MC68030 not a MC68EC030, the EC doesn't have a built in MMU if I recall correctly. You also have to cut(or pull down) the FC2 pin to start X11.

costa

Thanks neko68k.

See? How fan is that?

Thiss would be the second time I will do it (when, if), because I have done in my 030 tower, last year.

... actually, if I remember well, it has not finished booting yet...
:)

costa

Actually I think I cheated, don't remember quite well...

Sick of of waiting the install process, I installed on an emulator and burned the harddisk image to a SD CARD and plugged into the 030.

Any way, I have my compact open, because I am recaping it.
Then I saw the MC68EC030 there, and the empty socket for the 68882 and remembered the requirements to run NetBSD and decided I will be replacing the MC68EC030 for MC68030 and add the 68882.
This will save me from having to open it again in the future, if I ever decide to install NetBSD or run anything that required either.

neko68k

It's fun to think about. In practice it's been very frustrating :) I've considered updating all the drivers to wscons and modular X11 but there really isn't enough reason for me to do it. I'll keep it on my list of things that I'll probably never do. :D

costa

If we had Fuzix for X68K, it would be more fun...