Problem loading Undeadline, Bosconian, Genocide with 2hdsim or 2hdboot [SOLVED!]

Started by R3dRuM, June 18, 2016, 02:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R3dRuM

Hi all!

I have a x68k PRO with 6Mb of RAM and I'm facing some problems when I try to load Undeadline using 2hdsim (with the !Start.bat that comes with the image V4) and Bosconian using 2hdboot.

The code of the !Start.bat file for Undeadline is:

drive a: c:
drive a: b:
2hdsim 0: Disk1.xdf
2hdsim 1: Disk2.xdf
2hdsim 1: Disk3.xdf
a:
mdrvx.x
loader.x

When I execute it (through pure DOS/Human of course), the game loads fine and I can select the character, but when I select the Forest level for example, the following message appears: "SET DISK A", and the game gets stuck here.

I've also tried to load the game using 2hdboot with the following !Start.bat:

2hdboot -$1 -aDisk1.xdf -bDisk2.xdf -bDisk3.xdf

But, when the screen goes black after the 2hdboot typical messages, this error appears:

This is EXACTLY the same error that I get when I try to load Bosconian with 2hdboot:

2hdboot -$1 -abosconian.xdf

Does someone know why I'm getting those errors? My x68k only has one 2hd drive connected, could it be the cause? I have loaded succesfully games like YS3 using 2hdboot without any problem.

Thank you very much :)

-----------
Edit.

Similar problem with Genocide 1 and Genocide 2; both games apparently load but a message appears asking to insert disk A in drive 1

Genocide 1 !Start.bat:

drive A: C:
drive A: B:
2hdsim 0: Disk1
2hdsim 1: Disk2
2hdsim 1: Disk3
2hdsim 1: Disk4
a:
autoexec.bat

Genocide 2 !Start.bat:

SUBST A: A:\Games2
CD GENOCIDE2
DRIVE B: C:
DRIVE A: C:
COMMAND.R

-----------

caius

I think the issue is because you have only one FDD installed, X68000 needs both floppy drives for fully operation.
Try also to defragment on your HDD the disk images used by these games (use the liner.x utility)

R3dRuM

Quote from: caius on June 22, 2016, 06:00:22 PM
I think the issue is because you have only one FDD installed, X68000 needs both floppy drives for fully operation.
Try also to defragment on your HDD the disk images used by these games (use the liner.x utility)

CONFIRMED. After install the second FDD all the games previously mentioned started to work flawlessly ;D

So, in summary:

• Some games will not work with 2hdboot if there is only one 2HD drive installed, EVEN if they have only 1 disk like Bosconian.
  • Games with more than one disk will not work with the 2hdsim method if there is only one 2HD drive installed; 2hdsim is not able to mount the second disk image this way.

Hope this helps.