How to check pc9801-86 card and other hardware noob question

Started by gabby32, August 01, 2015, 06:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabby32

Finally I found time to work on my pc9821 xa16.
I have no sound on pc9801-86 card. Tested sound on the game illusion city.
How to check my card works or not? Oxidised at the output of the sound.The sound should go to the Line out or head phone card back? Which switches should be set on card. Something should be put in the computer BIOS. Can configure the sound (fm) from the speaker of the computer? What is the voltage DC IN and where + and -

What is this  card.

For this configuration, you need something to do in the BIOS, and switches on the cards.

In ms-dos I can not enter sign " _ " instead of this get a " - "
Something had to change in the BIOS.

Tested MIDI sound on the game illusion city. Used CM64 and SC55 MKII. MIDI RS-232C not determined.
So it should be? It is necessary to switch in the BIOS, and switches on the card.

This controller can be used. How to use the program on my computer to be installed on flash card hdd image like
YAHDI (yet another hard disk image) http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5463.0

Running games pc-fx is possible in windows or only on the external television.

SkyeWelse

Quote from: gabby32 on August 01, 2015, 06:47:07 AM
Finally I found time to work on my pc9821 xa16.
I have no sound on pc9801-86 card.

I've not had much luck with C-BUS cards in general, but I thought I read somewhere that just having a YM2608 CBUS card installed, might not do the trick for certain games. Have you tried with some other software that use FM sound as well? Flame Zapper Kotsujin is a fantastic game to test FM sound, and I think Brandish 2/Brandish 3 have multiple FM sound options as well in the config. That card definitely looks like it's seen better days, but maybe try cleaning the connectors/contacts a bit just to make sure that's not also an issue.

Best of luck getting your FM sound to work!

QuoteHow to use the program on my computer to be installed on flash card hdd image like
YAHDI (yet another hard disk image) http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5463.0

Were you needing additional help with getting this working? Most of the steps for how to use it and to get started are in that thread, but if you had specific questions I can try to help.

-Thomas

gabby32

Pc9801-86 works, only the sound from the line out is very quiet, of head phone like normal.

I burn a disk image on the SD using Win32DiskImager, connected to the computer.
Disc can not be determined. What do you use the card.

SkyeWelse

So are you using an SD to IDE converter/adapter to fit into the IDE BUS on the PC-98 then? or perhaps a CF to IDE adapter? That's what I use. If you are not getting any response, make sure that you are A) making sure that the adapter is supplied a mini-molex cable from the motherboard for power B) try inserting the IDE cable into the adapter the way you think it should go, but if that doesn't work, try reversing the cable and connect it the other way to the adapter. I have two CF card adapters in my machine, and they are both different. One fits works well with the IDE ribbon cable going into it as it is supposed to, and the other I had to put the cable in reverse for it and force it into the pins of the adapter.

If it's still not reading it either way, there could be something that needs to be turned on in the bios. It's been awhile, so I'm not sure what that might be exactly.

-Thomas

gabby32

I use SD to IDE adapter. I think it is not suitable for pc98. The adapter has a problem even when connected to a conventional old pc.
Later buy CF to IDE adapter.

98digger

Well, I think I've figured out what your problem with the quiet audio from Line Out is being caused by. It looks like there is a volume dial on the back of the card, try adjusting that. Either that, or some of the capacitors need replacing. I don't think that the software or BIOS is the cause of that issue (although, the DIP switches on the card might be).

The mysterious card you have plugged in between the RAM and the CPU looks like either a VRAM stick or a CPU Cache stick. Could you possibly take a picture of the back of this card? There is probably something printed there that identifies the card.