Games with hard-to-find option menus

Started by Psygnosis8, February 20, 2015, 03:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psygnosis8

So sometimes it's difficult to find option menus for some x68000 games.  I've found that pushing F1 and the title screen frequently works (ie--parodius, crazy climber).  But there are some games, like crazy climber 2 or Detana Twinbee that don't seem to have an options menu at all.  Anybody know how to open up such a menu in these games?

It'd be cool if we could use this thread to sort of build up a community database for games that seem to have option menus or alternate modes hidden from plain view.  Especially since there are virtually no resources for this kind of thing anywhere from what I can tell.

skpstmgs

Detana TwinBee has a menu. During the intro, press F3. You can change the lives, difficulty, button mapping, as well as play BGM. To leave the menu, you need press the "F" key while the Exit option is highlighted.

Psygnosis8

Segasonicfan

took me a while before realizing pressing left at the main splash screen in Cotton opens sub menus..
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

Psygnosis8

Quote from: Segasonicfan on March 11, 2015, 05:28:48 AM
took me a while before realizing pressing left at the main splash screen in Cotton opens sub menus..

WTF?  They didn't think this through, did they?

I found that pushing any direction on the D-pad opens the options menu in Mahou Daisuken.

Psygnosis8

Rather than post a whole new thread, I figured I'd add to this one considering this question is somewhat related.

So, Pro Yakyuu...wow!  It's RBI Baseball!  But better!

Anybody know if you can pinch hitters or change pitchers in this game?  I can't find any key that does so.  It must be possible because you can pick a starting pitcher and arrange batting order...

Psygnosis8

So no pro yakyuu fans?  No one knows how to pinch/relief? (That sounds awful).

AnnaWu

Quote from: Psygnosis8 on April 23, 2015, 10:18:04 AM

Yes, especially your posting.
How old are you?

Psygnosis8

Wow, humorless crowd, eh?  I'm 36.

And seriously, I've seen much worse than that on other forums.  I haven't done anything extremely inappropriate.

famiac

Chill out guys. It's nothing super controversial.

It's just a baseball game...

Psygnosis8

So, anyway, world stadium...pause menu?

RobIvy64

I chuckled
"Console Mods" lurker

NFG

Quote from: RobIvy64 on April 25, 2015, 08:46:05 AM

I chuckled

As did I.  It was successful as a joke (it's funny) and as a fact (it does sound awful).  I'm not sure what AnnaWu's beef is with the comment, or if she is in turn being obtusely humorous in a way I can't quite grasp.  The original comment is hereby approved for and allowed to stand as Acceptable Humour in These Parts.

Psygnosis8

Quote from: Lawrence on April 25, 2015, 09:54:02 AM
Quote from: RobIvy64 on April 25, 2015, 08:46:05 AM

I chuckled

As did I.  It was successful as a joke (it's funny) and as a fact (it does sound awful).  I'm not sure what AnnaWu's beef is with the comment, or if she is in turn being obtusely humorous in a way I can't quite grasp.  The original comment is hereby approved for and allowed to stand as Acceptable Humour in These Parts.

Thanks, boss!

Here's a new question:

Anybody know how to activate cyber stick control in neural gear?  Snagged one of these bad boys and I can't seem to make it work in this game.

Dal

How do you access the options menu in Super Hang On?

SuperDeadite

Neural Gear, Cyberstick mode is the key with the LED lamp next to the XF5 key.

Super HangOn doesn't have an options menu afaik.  If you want 31khz you hold HELP while the game boots,
MIDI is always on if a MIDI card is detected, Cyberstick is auto detected upon boot.  There are a few little tweaks
you can make via command line parameters I believe (as well as access the hidden mini-game).

Dal

Thank you very much.  If anyone has information regarding the command line options, please let me know.  I'd like to add this kind of information into the wiki.

AnnaWu

Quote from: Dal on May 21, 2015, 12:50:29 AM
Thank you very much.  If anyone has information regarding the command line options, please let me know.  I'd like to add this kind of information into the wiki.

I am not sure it is helpful or not.
http://www.cityfujisawa.ne.jp/~fumiki/x68k/68urawaza.html#S.HUNGON

Press SHIFT + HELP for the diagnostic mode in the start (push start button)/demo screen.
Press the XF2 button to select the mode.
Press SHIFT + HELP to start/exit the selected mode.
In sound mode press the SPACE button to start the playing.

During the game play press the ESC button and then the TAP button for the frame-stepping.

In the "\^ - ^" folder (Disk 1) exist a description about the bonus game.

Psygnosis8

For those that are interested, I figured out the "time" button for Pro Yakyuu.  It's enter.  You push it in the pitching segment before the pitcher pitches (say that 10 times fast). 

If you liked RBI baseball as a kid, this is a pretty souped up version.  Better than the PC Engine ones, IMO.