August 24, 2019, 10:02:08 pm

News:

Upload your images to this forum!.  The internet can't be trusted.  NFG can.  (probably)

DFO: dual frequency oscillator

Started by micro, February 01, 2015, 02:50:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bmp02

I assume the described current draw issue does occur while programming. Why else would you be able to solve it by adding a resistor on the programmer's side?
Also I haven't installed the dfo yet, so it needs power from the programmer, V_Target switched on. That should be correct.

Have tested again last night on another computer (pc instead of laptop).
I found that the programmer is recognized well, but at the moment the dfo is being attached to the programmer, the computer makes the sound of something losing connection, and the COM Port disappears in Device Manager. When doing the same with V_Target switched off, the connection is stable, but obviously it can't program cause the dfo gets no power.
When plugging in programmer to my computer with dfo already attached (and V_Target on), the programmer isn't recognized at all.

This sounds very much like the losing-connection issue described before?
Have already ordered resistors just in case. Could also try to give the dfo its own 5V power source to test, don't know if I have any though.

bmp02

July 02, 2019, 04:57:23 am #41 Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 05:27:39 pm by bmp02
Unfortunately the 22 Ohm resistor doesn't solve this problem. Only difference is that FTDI Error has now changed to I2C Error.

Anyone any idea? @micro still here sometimes?

EDIT:
I have managed to make it work after all!
The 22 ohm resistor was one of the solutions. The programmer before wasn't recognized by the programming software whenever it was plugged in to a dfo, with the added resistor, this worked fine.

Main problem was that I followed the Clock Pro instructions from this thread. It does say it's outdated, but since no update was posted, I followed those. But it outputs a hex made for CDCE925, instead of 931. So the hex was the problem.

I found it impossible though to try and get the program to output a hex for a 931 with both frequencies correctly being output when S0 tied to either high or low. Luckily, the Circuit-Board.de dfo thread has a large post about just this subject, which lead to a working hex, and successful program attempt.

Phew, done.
I'll add a post for the more unexperienced, like me, to this thread. So at least we'll have the correct and updated info here for everyone attempting to build his own dfo and programmer.

bmp02

July 02, 2019, 10:14:29 pm #42 Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 05:55:30 am by bmp02
Ok. So if you Googled for dfo's and always end up here, you want to build one yourself, but you're relatively new to all of this,
Or, you're trying and got stuck somehow while getting it to work, here are some words from me that I hope will help you out.

First, if there's anything else you'd like to know about this topic that you can't find here, you'd better Google Translate this thread on a German forum that is much more updated than this NFG one: https://circuit-board.de/forum/index.php/Thread/18016-DFO-Dual-Frequency-Oscillator/

When buying parts and you can't find the specific one listed, also check the German thread, it mentions some other part numbers in the opening post. But I guess usually you're fine ordering anything with similar specifications.
Also order a 22 Ohm through hole resistor as well in case you don't have any. My programmer wouldn't properly work without it. At the back of the programmer board, cut the VTG trace (where that white line is), bridge with the 22 Ohm resistor.

Please note the chip on the programmer needs to be flashed with firmware and fuse bytes. To do that, I bought the Micro USB Tiny AVR ISP / USBTinyISP Programmer (this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-Tiny-AVR-ISP-5V-ATtiny44-USBTinyISP-Programmer-For-Arduino-Bootloader/222053881584). It's 1.86$ including shipping, not too bad huh.
Then download this driver (https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/drivers) and the AVRDUDESS Gui (http://blog.zakkemble.net/avrdudess-a-gui-for-avrdude/) to flash firmware and fuse bytes.

If you want to use ClockPro to make your own HEX files, please notice the guide in the opening post of this thread is outdated and not working anymore. Instead, do this (example for MegaDrive frequencies):
* First Wizard screen, keep the 27 MHz, No of Outputs at 1, Y1 Freq 53.693175, click Generate Setup, then View Setup
* Set Crystal Load to 18pF
* At Controle Line Selection, you see S0=1, so you're now setting the frequency for when S0 is high
* Click on the colored Y2 and Y3 triangles till both have turned into ground symbols
* You need to choose a divider number (PDiv1) for the PLL1 numbers to be divided into, in order for both outputted frequencies ending up as close to the desired frequency as possible. In this case, choose 2 for PDiv1
* The desired S0=high frequency is 53.693175, so choose 2x that = 107.38635 for PLL1_0
* From the Control Line Selection drop down menu, select the other (S0=0) option
* Click those things on the right again till Y1 has the triangle, and Y2/3 the ground symbol. Choose PLL1_1(!) 2x53.203425=106.40685
* File - Save HEX Intel File - you're done

If you need more detailed instructions on using ClockPro, again, check that German thread.

Have fun :-)