26 pin to 50 pin scsi cable makers?

Started by hyperneogeo, January 12, 2015, 12:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hyperneogeo

So I want to have someone make me one of these. Before you ask, yes I've tried and I can never seem to get it correct on the 50 pin one since I don't have a crimp plus the single wires never seem to make contact. Anyone up to the job? :)

eidis

Hi Hyperneogeo !

QuoteI don't have a crimp plus the single wires never seem to make contact.

Here are a few tips if you are on a tight budget. Please look at the attached picture. The trick is to put each wire between the two adjacent metallic pins. Put the wires in place and use some tool, that does not damage the wire insulation, to push it between the metallic pins. The pins will cut the insulation and should make good contact with wire without any modifications. The adjacent pins need to be straight. Some of them might seem too loose, especially when doing individual wires. Just bend them slightly together until you feel that they are tight enough. Do the whole IDC50 female connector, then put the plastic cap on it and now comes the fun part. Put the half finished connector between two cardboards and use something flat and heavy to push the plastic cap down. It will do the necessary crimping. Avoid using a hammer because it distributes force to the cap unevenly and can break the cap or its side clips in half. I've done the X68000 floppy cable that way and it turned out great.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

neko68k

eidis the mad man. what would we do without you? :)

hyperneogeo

Quote from: eidis on January 12, 2015, 01:48:51 PM
Hi Hyperneogeo !

QuoteI don't have a crimp plus the single wires never seem to make contact.

Here are a few tips if you are on a tight budget. Please look at the attached picture. The trick is to put each wire between the two adjacent metallic pins. Put the wires in place and use some tool, that does not damage the wire insulation, to push it between the metallic pins. The pins will cut the insulation and should make good contact with wire without any modifications. The adjacent pins need to be straight. Some of them might seem too loose, especially when doing individual wires. Just bend them slightly together until you feel that they are tight enough. Do the whole IDC50 female connector, then put the plastic cap on it and now comes the fun part. Put the half finished connector between two cardboards and use something flat and heavy to push the plastic cap down. It will do the necessary crimping. Avoid using a hammer because it distributes force to the cap unevenly and can break the cap or its side clips in half. I've done the X68000 floppy cable that way and it turned out great.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Haha thanks, I'll give it another try.