Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

broken cdx

Started by lou, April 27, 2004, 06:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou

bought a broken cdx real cheap, but it's a bastard to get into
right now, the cd player works fine, but the genesis portion is not working
any ideas of how to begin to fix this or any ideas where i could send this?

jetblue

My cdx recently conked out on me and only plays cds also. I have been all over the web gathering info on elctronics repair and this weekend I will attempt an operation on my beloved cdx. Ive modded all my systems and cannibalised parts from others systems to fix mine so my knowledge is ok. Ive just never done a cdx before. I know how to do a diagnostic. This is my last attempt before I send it to the rpair place on the sega website.I finnaly saved up the 55$ they ask for. If I find out whats wrong with it and If its repairable through limited means,I will let you know. Wish me luck. :D  

Sumez

My MultiMega is broken too. Not in the same way, but I want to fix it, however I've never been able to get those damn tiny screw up >:O
I need better tools.

Segasonicfan

yeah i have a couple with that problem im trying to fix right now.... :/  I could use another one for parts though, any chance youll sell it to me? These are basically unrepairable from what I've found.  I'll give you double whatever you paid cause i need the parts.  LMK, thanks.

-Segasonicfan email: Tuneviperz14@hotmail.com
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

lou75

thanks for the replies,
jetblue let me know how it turns out, if all is well, i'll send the cdx for repairs as well

jetblue

I opened it and tested every thing. I cant find nothing wrong with it. Current is flowing free. This is what I did.
When I took of the mutiple screws and removed the metal bottom cover I heard a pop.It was the spring latch cd door. When I saw the sticky copper sheilding I started to smell around it for that hint of burned stuff. There was no smell.I carefully peeled back the shield to see the 4 main chips. Nothing really to test there Untill I can get to the otherside but the chips looked fine.Took that apart to see the main laser. Tested every thing with a tester. every things fine.Then I checked the power connect. Every thing tested fine. No burn outs no losse stuff.Nothing.
So I started to put it back together. I took many machines apart to repair and add chips such as the playstation1&2,dreamcast,saturn,nes,super,x-box,even PCs,and out of all of them the insides of the cdx are beutiful.I cant describe them any other way.Simple perfect the cdx was way ahead of its time. The only other one with beutiful insides is x-box.
Thats when I think I figured it out.
I was looking at the cdx as a system and not at its components. Genisis,sega cd,cd player and I had to keep in mind that this is technology from 1994.
I noticed the component systems were asembled seprately not together like systems of today. So I looked for simularites with the systems of the time.
And I think I found one.
The small battery like thingy under the copper shielding. I tested it and there was no current. Its dead. It like some type of blockage to the othe systems.
I forgot what those things are called but I remember from years ago that they will cause other systems to freeze or not work at all and other systems that suffer from this It was caused from not using for long length of time or burnout.
So if this was the problem I should replace it and see if it works. So if it doesnt I could go to the next step.
So I tryed to remove it. Could not. There are micro solders holding it in place. removing it would destroy its housing.
It is beyond my capabilites.
I realy cannot find anything else to do to try to make it work. And the main chips ,Un less theres a hole in them are made to last.
And liquid was never pourd on it.  
And theres really not that many parts for it to breakdown. Not like a PS2. Wich has so many blasted parts. The cdx is simple. Just like looking at a cd players insides.
For the first time I am stumped. Unless I have a eureka moment over the next few days theres nothing I can do untill I replace that thingy.
Oh and consulte with you guys on this forum who probably have way more experience than me.
Please any pointers would be most helpful.
So unless theres no other path for me to take,next weekend I will part with my 55$ to send it to the sega hospital because even if they ask for 100$ to repair I think its worth every penny. It  is a remarkable piece of hardware.One of a kind. Segas masterpiece.

jetblue

Not to get off topic but I was looking throug e-bay and saw a cdx with Its original box and everything else with a current bid of 300$. Wth 13 hours left I think. I think thats about as much as I paid for it when I got mine back in 1994. Or was it 200$? Does any one remember how much they were back then?
I wonder if the bidding will go any higher.

atom

Wait where was this battery? The Genesis side?
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

jetblue

Its right under the copper shield between the main chips. I guess the cd side.
I am looking around the web to try and Identify it. And Im trying to find where I read It before in my old books or the web.  

jetblue

WOW!!!! That last minute bidding frenzy. I cant belive that cdx on e-bay made it to $420.00.

NFG

Any battery found in the system is likely for backup RAM, if it's dead the system won't have any trouble booting (usually) so I'd look for other causes first.

This is really making me mad. I can fix just about every thing or find why it failed.Why is my machine defying me? My cdx wants to work the screen flashes sometimes if I keep turning it on and off. Its like struggling.
Im grasping at straws.
I still have some time before I send it . When I do Im am going to ask for a summary of repair from the sega place.
I will post the results of the summary.
Whatch it be some thing completely diffrent  and simple.
Blast I hate when that happens.

NFG

The flashing is just power being delivered to the chroma encoder, it's not a sign of anything else.  

Do you know how to recognize non-standard fuses?  They're not always glass/plastic with seethrough bits, sometimes they look like surface-mounted cubes or rectangles.  Use your multimeter to ensure they're not blown.

Check to see you're getting 5volts to the chips (find a generic one, the last pin is +5v and the last pin on the first row is ground).  

This is a bit of a stretch, but check to see the two 68000 processors aren't being held in reset (the pinouts are on the web, the pins in question are active-low which means when they're grounded the chip is frozen, so you want +5v on the halt and/or reset lines).

This will help narrow down the possible failure points.  

Basically these things rarely fry in a weird or tricky manner, it's almost always a blown fuse or power transformer, short circuit, or mechanical failure (bad power connector, for example).  The next most common thing would be drive failure, but you'd at least be getting video.

jetblue

I see. Excellent advice. I did check all the fuses . I think I counted about 11 all together. All functional.Ill check the chips.
I was looking through my logs and notice there was a time that I was separated from the cdx. It was in 1995.I had gone to tampa for the summer and my freind used the cdx while I was gone. He is the type not to tell me if he dropped it or anything. Too bad he cant tell me, hes in elysium.
Weid thing though. When I opened the cdx there was a red hair inside. Same as was his. I always knew he would haunt me.
But  I have a question to any one who has a working model.
In the cartridge slot is there a 1/4 inch square hole In the middle, showing a bit of bare board?
I dont remember if there was anything there before.Like a switch mabey.Or a cover of some type.
Also sometimes after playing a music CD I would turn off the unit and notice the cd spinning in the opposite direction then stop. Any one else notice this on theres? I ve seen this only twice. Since I brought the cdx down from my closet.

This will be resolved.  

NFG

Spinning backwards is normal, especially if you open the lid, there's a brake in there that stops the drive by spinning it backwards for a short time, sometimes there's 'extra' stopping at the end causing a reverse spin.

There's nothing supposed to be in that hole, both of my CDX units have a hole in the cart slot.

jetblue

Cant do much now untill weekend. Job to demanding.

jetblue

couldnt do much this weekend. Had to prepare for mothers day. Too many family members came over. Will try to work on cdx next weekend or sooner. Will ask for day off wendsday.

lou75

alright, good to know that the metal can be peeled, i wasn't sure if it could
i'm going to go thru the cdx tomorrow and see what i can find, if anything....the problem now is looking for my multimeter

thx for the info so far jetblue, i'll use what u did as a guide and if all else fails, i can sell this as parts and buy another :D

Guest_siamese

got my cdx from a flea market, all covered with dirt in a pile of broken discmans
for usd $8.00. Like you all gentlemen do, i was trying to give the little rascal some
cleaning and servicing hoping it would work.  :huh:
:angry: got myself ahard time just trying to open my cdx.
it sort of works, game cartridgeswork just fine but cd's game or music, don't play right . for instance in sonic cd you can easily play the first level but that's all! read somewhere there is a screw adjuster to adjust the cd lens like in the sega cd 2 ad-on. is that so, jetblue? :o
how did you open the damn thing up! trying to remove the guts from the plastic casing (without the metal one) it's a real pain in the neck! how do you separate the
display screen from the circuitry, aagh please help! any links?

thank you very much for your help

jetblue

Breakthrough!!!!
Had no time because of work to do any more on my cdx.
Took off wendsday and am not going back till monday.
Wendsday I had the cdx all apart in the corner of room and decided to put back together.
I noticed a cluster of fuses I hadnt noticed before by the power bord.
Or forgot to check when I first took it apart last month. Waiting till I got it all apart then go backwards to check.
2 of them seem to be out. (very small)
This thing has more fuses than I had thought.
Will continue to either replace or bypass and see if any changes.
Will put complete details if all checks out.

BE CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING COOPER SHEILD.PEEL BACK SLOWLY .TOOK ME A WHILE TO PEEL BACK ENOUGH TO SEE WHATS UNDERNEATH.
THOSE RESISTORS ARE VERY BRITTLE. :o  

siamese

how about an update, jetblue? like it is stated above it's a hell of a time
trying to open a cdx up :blink:  

Segasonicfan

I know a LOT about the CDX, I just finished modding mine to be portable with RGB output, an import mod and a bunch of other stuff.  If you need any help on a broken CDX let me know, I'm sure I can be of some assistance.  

Make sure you have a multimeter before you do anything though.  And I can tell you how to carefully open one up (I've owned 3 of these systems and i know how hard it is).

-Segasonicfan

D-Lite

ssf, I think you should make a quick FAQ for the CDX.  Enough people are curious that it would benefit all of us.  Like highlighting things to do/watch for when busting one open.

and when you say make it "portable", what exactly do you mean?

Segasonicfan

*whew* I just finished writing an entire FAQ like you recommended.  I think all this information will come in handy to a lot of people (hopefully) :)  I'm going to submit it at GameFAQs, and I'll post the link here after they approve it (usually takes a couple days).  Email me if you want a copy now.  My email is Tuneviperz14@hotmail.com

-Segasonicafan

Segasonicfan

BTW, if you want to see my portable CDX, check out my userpage at http://www.gametz.com under Segasonicfan.  There's a link to my yahoo photos of both my portible systems.  Those are old pics though, the system looks much better now and it has an import mod and RGB out :)

jetblue

A thousand apologies.
My reason for my late reply is a long tale of love and heartbreak,unemployment and internet affordability,a great computer crash and months in a repair shop,and just plain lazyness and forgetfulness.

The fuses on my cdx did work,or i was using my multitester wrong. I just couldnt find out what was wrong with it so i caved in and sent it to that sega repair the sega site recommends for a $55 service charge.
I packed it up with all the accessories and sent it ups insured for $400.00. In less than 2 weeks sega repair sent me a brand spanking new cdx and accessories. I was in shock,not a scuff and still had the plastic packaging and smelled of new console smell. Ive been enjoying it ever since.

Now you may curse at me for my late reply and not being able to repair it myself.
(lowers head in shame)

Christian

:ph34r:

I know this is late, the post started 2 years ago. I got a X'EYE (is a Genesis & Sega CD) but the problem is the opposite of the issues some of you are having with your CDX systems. My X'EYE plays Genesis games without no problems but it does not play Sega CD games, I think this is do to a Lens (read). Can anybody help?

christian

Oh, yea  if you got an answer or any kind of help for my X'eye console, my email is newyor_khan@yahoo.com

jetblue-
 They just sent you a new CDX?  Maybe I should send mine out for that :o

-Segasonicfan

Segasonicfan

woops, forgot to login.  You got that repair/new CDX at www.sega-parts.com, right?

-Segasonicfan

jetblue

yeah from sega-parts.com. I sent it to them around last summer. I can show pics if you want. Looks like it just came out of the box. And my old one was pretty scratched up on the top and the av plug was very worn so i was glad to get the new one.

But still,the old one.....

Heres some pics anyway:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jet.../Picture007.jpg
This first one is how it looked when they first sent it to me,i still keep em in the plastics after use. They send a free cartridge like they say in their website. I didnt send my second controller with the rest when i sent it to sega-parts,now i wish i did cause the rubber near the base is peeling. But its all i have left from the old one so its all good in the hood.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jet.../Picture008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jet.../Picture009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jet.../Picture010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jet.../Picture011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jet.../Picture012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jet.../Picture013.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jet.../Picture014.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jet.../Picture015.jpg

sorry for the camera,its of poor quality

thanks for the pics/info jetblue :)  I'll definitely try sending my CDX in when I get more cash :)

-Segasonicfan

PsychoMistress

Anyone have any experience in fixing Sega CD systems?

I have one that won't power up at all.  The genesis works fine, but the CD part is dead.

Out of about 50 tries, the red Access light only flashed 4 times and each time for only a split second.  Would a blown fuse cause this type of behavior?  Or corrosion on the hookups in the back of the CD part?

I've had this thing since the day it came out and have never had a problem.

Thanks.

You are one lucky bastard. I just sent mine in and they told me there is nothing they can do =(

PS if you guys love sega check out this awesome site:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/index.php

GZeus

QuoteA thousand apologies.
My reason for my late reply is a long tale of love and heartbreak,unemployment and internet affordability,a great computer crash and months in a repair shop,and just plain lazyness and forgetfulness.

The fuses on my cdx did work,or i was using my multitester wrong. I just couldnt find out what was wrong with it so i caved in and sent it to that sega repair the sega site recommends for a $55 service charge.
I packed it up with all the accessories and sent it ups insured for $400.00. In less than 2 weeks sega repair sent me a brand spanking new cdx and accessories. I was in shock,not a scuff and still had the plastic packaging and smelled of new console smell. Ive been enjoying it ever since.

Now you may curse at me for my late reply and not being able to repair it myself.
(lowers head in shame)
*immediately starts looking for proken CDX to send to Sega-parts.

GZeus

QuoteYou are one lucky bastard. I just sent mine in and they told me there is nothing they can do =(

PS if you guys love sega check out this awesome site:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/index.php
OH, didn't see that.
Maybe they only have certain parts(lens repair only or something) and just ran out of CDXs.
I did notice before they updated their site that they had a section on ther BROKEN shopping cart site for 90 dollar CDXs.

Holy! they said there was nothing they could do? And i was about to buy a broken cdx for $25 and send it to them to get a new one because ive been using mine quite a bit and would like a spare.
I better use mine less and get me a sega cd attachment for my sega model 1 for regular use.
I knew something was up when not even segasonicfan can fix them and he can fix just about anything. Must be some catastrophic chip damage for sega parts.com not to do anything.
The whole segaparts site looks diffrent. And scary.
Does anyone know any sites that sell the cdx carrying case? I could of sworn segaparts use to sell them. Mines dissapeared long ago. I dont remember if the one i has was one of those sega genesis/game gear/cdx combo third party cases or an official cdx case.

But i wonder if the chips from a nomad or sega model 1 or 2, could be used to repair the cdx.  

geezup

I know this thread is quite old, but it is my last hope.

My CDX just stopped reading, well it does for a while, but after a few seconds it stops spinning. I've seen really thin copper threads around the lenses, don't know where they came from, tried cleaning it, but no luck. Cartridges do work at least.

What type of lens does the CDX uses ? Any HOW-TO disassemble a CDX ? I'm having problems with that too. Is it safe to remove the metal cover thing that covers the first PCB you see when you open it ?

Thanks in advance !

Segasonicfan

I think I may be of service ;)  I consider myself the CDX guru for the time being... :P

It's perfectly safe to remove the copper shielding.  It's only there for heatsinking/RF shielding purposes.  Make sure to desolder it (3 points are soldered down if I remember correctly).  If it's all connected in one piece just carefully put it to the side or desolder the resistor on the bottom if you can.

Here's how to disassemble it but note this is purely from memory so it may not be 100%:

Once the system is open and the shielding is off look inside the cart slot.  There are two screws holding the cart slot in place.  Unscrew them and remove the thin black plastic underneath the cart slot.

unscrew the 2 screws in the back holding in the power supply.  Then desolder/disconnect the one grounding wire from the power supply to the top PCB.

At this point all screws/wires should be free from the top PCB.  Now CAREFULLY pull the  top PCB in an upward motion until it unplugs from the bottom PCB.  Set the top PCB down somewhere safe with the pins sticking up.  If these get bent you'll have a big pain in your ass reassmbling the system.  You can also remove the power supply by unplugging it if you so desire.

Unscrew all the screws holding the large metal shielding minus the ONE screw in the far back left.  It's the only one not holding the shielding down. Also, if not done before, desolder the resistor and unscrew the screw holding your copper shielding it.  You can now remove that part.

Once all the screws are out (put them in a bowl of some sort, they're small as hell and easy to lose) carefully pull backwards and up to remove the power button plastic and metal shielding.  At this point there should be no other screws ontop or holding down the bottom PCB.

Now here's the hard part.  The bottom PCB has the CD lens assembly loosely under it (it's held on by nothing).  Also, the bottom PCB has audio jacks and an audio control knob inserted through the right side plastic.  To remove the bottom PCB you must CAREFULLY lift it up and to the left WHILE pushing the right plastic casing (with the jacks and knob) outward so it can be lifted out easily.  As soon as the bottom PCB jacks are free from the plastic lift it up and try to hold the lens assembly against the PCB so as not to strain the ribbon cable.  And as usual, do not touch the lens.

After it's out you're done- all the PCB parts are free and ready for tinkering.

Unfortunately the lenses go out on a lot of these units now since they are 13 years old.  Very impressive that any of them work at all really.  Sega has always made extremely durable and fantastic hardware IMO.  The only way I know of to possibly fix the lend (other than cleaning it) is to try adjusting the potentiometer for the lens focus.  It looks a lot like a phillips screw head and is a pain in the ass to turn and adjust, it's pretty flimsy too.  try giving it slight turns and retesting.  This will take a long while and many turns but it may finally give you a working result.

Also, I have about 4 spare lenses from my broken CDX collection (lol).  I don't know if any of them work though as all my CDX PCBs have been slaughtered from my early modding days.  If you want, maybe we can work something out where you can send your CDX and I can try fitting it with my lenses to see if it'll work.  This may be too time-consuming and costly though, so you may just want to grab one off ebay.  Just a thought.

Okay, this has to be my longest GameSX post EVER. :P  I swear, I'm done now.

-Segasonicfan

jetblue

Ah cool guide. But is there a model number on the laser itself? Im always looking for a cheap local supply of lasers like im frantically looking for an HOP-M3 with mechanism.
I also keep an eye out for the dreamcast laser,spu3200,and others.
And i completely forgot to look in my old cdx when i had it open. It just slipped my mind to look for a laser model number *hits head with mallet*