Star Luster suddenly not working...

Started by Psygnosis8, January 07, 2015, 04:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psygnosis8

So, star luster used to work well on my system. Now it's hanging right after I run the start!.bat file.  The command line says the following:

A> MUSE.x #137 -P187

I've tried loading it from two different disk images. I'm still getting this error. Is anyone able to assist me with this?

SuperDeadite

Psygnosis8

Gotcha.

Ummmm...how do I do that?  :-[ Is it in switch.x?

BTW--LOVE your HDD image.

H68k

Hold down the CLR key and press the power button, Your X68000 should then display a prompt asking if you want to clear the SRAM.

press Y to BZZZZZZZZZZzt the SRAM.. or press N to chicken out and leave it's contents to see another day...

Psygnosis8

Quote from: H68k on January 08, 2015, 01:42:13 AM
Hold down the CLR key and press the power button, Your X68000 should then display a prompt asking if you want to clear the SRAM.

press Y to BZZZZZZZZZZzt the SRAM.. or press N to chicken out and leave it's contents to see another day...

Sweet, thanks.  Is this gonna have disasterous consequences and cause all my other games not to work?

H68k

Nope.. it shouldn't do.. In theory. Your X68k will just keep loading the default settings from its ROM until you set them again with SWITCH.

Any game that uses the SRAM for things like save games and score board saving (bare in mind.. the amount of games that make use of the SRAM, Other than Human68k for system settings, you could count with one hand) will lose there battery backed up data etc. 

Psygnosis8

No big loss.  I love playing through the first few levels of castlevania anyway.  Thanks y'all!

SuperDeadite

Castlevania saves to HDD or floppy, not SRAM.

Psygnosis8

Psygnosis8

Mmmmkay.  I cleared the SRAM and now it's trying to boot from the floppy drive instead of my HD replacement.  It was booting from SCSI ID 3 before I cleared the SRAM.  Any tips on how to make it boot from the HD again?

Thanks for answering all my Q's, guys.

SuperDeadite

Your switch.x settings are stored in SRAM.  By clearing it those rest to defaults.  Just run switch.x and redo them.  You'll need to do this anyway as all machines will default to 1mb of RAM.

Psygnosis8

Uh oh.  Sounds like I need a humanos floppy, don't i?  I found some instructions for formatting it with windows xp.  Anybody know if I can use win image to put it on a 3.5"?

Or...does anybody wanna send me a disk for some compensation?  :)

Opethian

you can if the 3.5 disk is formatted as a 1.22MB (not 1.44MB) if you are in XP use omniflop

eidis

Hi Psygnosis8 !

There is no need to create a floppy. Just try every possible SCSI ID on your HDD adapter until the X68000 will start to boot. I think that the X68000 defaults to ID0. You might want to check it out.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

Psygnosis8

Eidis, where would I be without you?  I'll try it tonight.  Thanks!!!

Psygnosis8

Oh, one more dumb question:

I've got a math coprocessor in my machine.  Do I need to change a setting in switch.x for the system to recognize it?  If so, which one?

Psygnosis8

Quote from: eidis on January 09, 2015, 02:27:11 AM
Hi Psygnosis8 !

There is no need to create a floppy. Just try every possible SCSI ID on your HDD adapter until the X68000 will start to boot. I think that the X68000 defaults to ID0. You might want to check it out.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

So this didn't work with either my cf or Jaz drive replacements.  Any other suggestions?

eidis

Hi Psygnosis8 !

QuoteSo this didn't work with either my cf or Jaz drive replacements.  Any other suggestions?

What exactly did you try and what was the outcome ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

Psygnosis8

I switched the SCSI Id number on the SCSI enclosure to zero, turned on the machine and it didn't boot.  I  increased the number to 1, turned on the machine..etc

I repeated this process for id numbers 0 through 7.  I thought that was what you meant.  Is there something else I need to do to switch the SCSI id?

Thanks again...

eidis

Hi Psygnosis8 !

QuoteI repeated this process for id numbers 0 through 7.  I thought that was what you meant.  Is there something else I need to do to switch the SCSI id?

That is correct. If that did not help, there are still two things to try. Try booting any game from floppy disk, if you have one, hold CTRL and tap C key until the boot process is interrupted. Now type the following commands:

c:
cd bin
switch

This method has a 50/50 chance of working. If that does not help, have a look at the following article and buy one of the mentioned 3mode external floppy disk drives. They usually cost $20 on eBay.

Correct procedure for writing disk images to 3.5" floppies
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:writing_3.5_floppies

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Psygnosis8

Got it, thanks.  I ordered one of the 3 mode drives, so I'll try to make a human os disk.  Thanks so much!

All this just to play star luster...