"New Famicom" RGB support ?

Started by parodius, April 25, 2004, 04:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parodius

Hi,

Since Nintendo has stopped producing the AV Famicom, not too lon ago, they seem to have officially licensed it to a company that distributes a new black famicom (I don't remember the exact name for it) in Japan.
I've seen this thing quite a few times on eBay (can't seem to find one today though), and today I saw one in a import videogame shop here in Paris.
What suprised me is that the guy from the shop told me that it had RGB support !
Can anyone confirm this ?

parodius

Here's a pic of the system.

parodius

Ok I've searched the web a bit and it seems to be not much more than the usual crappy Famicom clone, officially licensed but still poorly built, made by Gametech.
It probably uses the infamous 'nes-on-a-chip' cicuitry, so no RGB this time, but a yellow cinch composite output.
I'll stick to my soon-to-be-RGB-modded AV Famicom...

Oh, by the way if you're interested there's a red'n'white model scheduled for release on april 30th.

benzaldehyde

Quotein a import videogame shop here in Paris.

Oh, that is so fucking cool!

Sounds odd; if it were a NES-on-a-chip, it would be smaller. I've seen something like this with the chip and a handful of games built into a Dreamcast-like controller. Is there a switch for SECAM video? How many euros does it cost?

Of course, you could always tear the chip out and make a portable NES of it... :D

Endymion

I like the shape of the controller, looks much more comfortable than the original SNES pad, and I especially like the D-pad.

NFG

I've sold a few of these, they're boxy unspecial units with a nice box.  It's a famiclone, nothing more, they're just a lot more available (and they're NOT licensed by Nintendo, they're just the most visible clone available for sale in Japan).

QuoteIs there a switch for SECAM video? How many euros does it cost?
Nope, it does not output SECAM, only NTSC as it's a Japanese unit.
In fact there has never been any console sold in France that had a SECAM output.
Only PAL/RGB ones, same as anywhere else in Europe (except for the NES which has PAL transcoded to RGB only in France), as nearly all european TVs have had RGB support through the SCART connector from the mid-eighties.

The Neo-Fami was sold 99 euros. A bit pricey, as it's sold for about 3000 yens in Japan.

@ Lawrence : I had thought that the big N would not allow these in its homeland if they were unlicensed...

parodius

NFG

Nintendo has stopped production of the Famicom only recently (And stock dried up more or less overnight) and this Neo Fami started showing up shortly thereafter.  From what I gather the current crop of FamiClones are using compatible, not copied, chips, and are therefore legal....  Don't take my word for it tho, I dunno nothin'.

Guest_tsenzen

so, on the NTSC japanese AV FAMICOMS? is there really a valid RGB MOD available for this famicom?? I've been still trying to figure a way to run famicom in rgb :)

tsenzen.org