Outrun for the X68000

Started by eidis, November 30, 2014, 09:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eidis

Hi Guys !

Does anyone know if this was ever released ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

Andy-Antsinpants

I don't think so. If I remember right, there even was a discussion this or last year where forum members shared thoughts about the possibility of porting Outrun to the X68000.

But please correct me if I'm wrong, since I might have the wrong game in mind.

H68k

Now here's the rub...

Apparently. Hertz Co Ltd (the company that Sega contracted to port outrun to the Mega Drive/Genesesasisisis) had an early alpha of something resembling Outrun for the X68k.. BUT.. the powers that be canceld it before it could be finished. :(

However.. There's a gentlemen out there who's spent the past few years reverse engineering the original arcade version of Outrun. And has coded his own open source pre-implementation of the game from scratch.. that plays and feels like the arcade original.

perhaps some of this code could be used as a bases to make something like Outrun for the X68k.. and make up a great wrong of this title missing from the X68000 for so long.. after a string of Segas arcade hits already have ports on the X68000.

eidis

Hi H68k !

Maybe Chris Covell would be interested in such project ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

H68k

QuoteMaybe Chris Covell would be interested in such project ?

I doubt he would eidis.. Though he might be interested in porting his F Zero clone to the X68k (I'd be happy to at least have one decent racing/driving game amongst the load of shooters on the X68k already)

You'd need a team of programmers and X68k hardware guru's for an Outrun like game to happen on the X68k. The original author of the Cannonball project has expressed some interest in porting it to other platforms in the near future, once his current projects are out the way.. but he will not be able to do this himself without help from those who know the X68ks hardware in and out, I should think.