Writing disk images to floppy on a real X68000

Started by X-Col, October 05, 2014, 04:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

X-Col

Hi Guys,

I read somewhere that it is possible to write floppy disks from image files using a real X68000. However, I can't find any info how to do it!

I am interested in this as my PC 5.25" drive is dodgy as hell...  :o

Can someone explain how to do it please?  ???

Cheers!

eidis

Hi X-Col !

Download the attached archive and transfer it to HDD along with the floppy disk images in XDF format, which you want to restore.

Insert 2HD floppy disk in drive 0 and execute !Format.bat
Rename the file which you want to transfer to DISK.2HD (press "R" key in LHES to rename)
Reinsert the floppy disk and execute !Write.bat

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

X-Col

Great, thanks Eidis!

Doesn't quite work at the minute,
But I'm sure it will when the drives are cleaned!  :D

eidis

Hi X-Col !

You can use drive 1 for formating and writing as-well. Just change the bat files to this:

!Format.bat
9SCDRV.X
9SCFMT.X /N1

!Write.bat
9SCDRV.X
DPACK.X -u1 DISK.2HD

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

X-Col

I seem to be having similar issues with my X68000 drives as I experienced on the PC.
I don't really have the skills to refurbish them, so wondered if the HxC was a viable alternative now?

I heard that it doesn't emulate all signals, so some games will not work. Is this still the case?

I've just about given up with real floppies now....    :(

eidis

Hi X-Col !

Refurbishing those drives is not as hard as it seems. Start with the two 100uf capacitors which are near the power connector and see if it helps. It is extremely easy to replace them so for now there is no need to buy expensive alternatives.

Advanced Floppy Drive repair
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:advanced_floppy_driver_repair

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

X-Col

OK Eidis,

I will give it a go when I get the time.

For now, I'm taking a break. Treat it as a long term project as I also need to replace all the other capacitors in the X68000 too.

Yes it's working now, but for how long?

X-Col

costa

Hi,

mkimg does not work for you?

I basicaly do:

mkimg -r a: game.xdf

and the game.xdf image is written to the floppy.

X-Col

Hi Costa,

No mate, doesn't work on either drive. Gets so far then has problems.
Tried dozens of different floppies without success  :(

Does the same on my PC

Update:
As very few of my floppies are labelled, I get a funny feeling they are only DD and not HD.
That would explain the problems on both PC and X68000. I'll have to obtain some disks I know for certain are HD