Granada crashing system during Intro

Started by X-Col, October 02, 2014, 01:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

X-Col

Guys,

I've been playing Granada, great game, great midi music!

However, the intro seems to crash my system and I wondered why?

I'm using Eidi's HD image V4 and a real Ace HD

Cheers

eidis

Hi X-Col !

Congratulations, you found a bug ! This is related to the installed game.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

X-Col

Quote from: eidis on October 02, 2014, 02:01:32 AM
Hi X-Col !

Congratulations, you found a bug ! This is related to the installed game.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Do I win a prize!  ;D

eidis

Hi X-Col !

Yes. Your prize will be a fixed Granada in V5 ;)

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

craiganderson

so i should avoid using this granada in my hyperspin setup?
thanks

good to know
i used the three separate disks instead
i used a save state (XM6) file and this works well because all three disks are loaded before gameplay starts
so hopefully user wont have to do any disk swapping

thanks

X-Col

Hi Eidis,

Is this another one?

I can't get Y2 to work. Just scrolls along no ship to control  ???

X-Col

eidis

Hi X-Col !

Yes and No. The game has protection which is not cracked, yet. More info in the following thread.

Cracking the protection of Y2
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5402.0

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Psygnosis8

I'm having the same issue since I started using the v4 image.  Keep us posted, eidis.

SuperDeadite

This bug has been around forever.  It's due to Granada's shitty programming.  As most already know, Granada is very timing sensitive.  It must be run at 10mhz.

When the intro runs, it does not load the whole intro in one shot.  It loads scene by scene.  If you are loading the game off anything other then floppies, the intro data loads faster then the game can handle.  Once you add the MIDI to the mix, it breaks the intro and crashes at the point where the cannon shoots.

I have personally taken my original copy, dumped it, and if run via 2HDboot it crashes at the same point as if running off HDD.  However if I then rewrite those images back to blank floppies, the game runs 100% fine.  It's a poorly programmed game, the HDD has nothing to do with it.

So unless someone makes a proper patch, this bug is going nowhere.  However if you run the MIDI and skip the intro, the game itself runs fine off HDD at least.

Psygnosis8

Know what?  My jaz drive hd replacement (I have no idea what image is on it) plays Granada just fine, even with midi.  The compact flash image won't boot it.  Odd.

SuperDeadite

As stated, my tests all indicate the flash card loads too fast.  A JAZ drive loads much slower, hence no speed issues.  No idea why it won't boot at all on your CF though.

Psygnosis8

Quote from: SuperDeadite on November 26, 2014, 07:43:42 PM
As stated, my tests all indicate the flash card loads too fast.  A JAZ drive loads much slower, hence no speed issues.  No idea why it won't boot at all on your CF though.

Oh, it boots.  It just locks up at the crossed-swords splash screen.

That makes sense, though.  Crappy programming on wolf teams part.

X-Col

I've also just noticed that the MT32/CM32/64 music does not sound right when playing from HDD image V4.
Looks like the Sysex data does not transfer correctly to the Roland, so the music is 'wrong'.

Sounds fine when playing from floppies....

Hopefully some bright spark will fix this soon  ;)

corpsicle

For future reference!
It locks up on the wolf team shield (before the actual logo) at 16mhz.
If you run at 10mhz and press a button at the start of the intro you get into the game just fine and then it works.

Pinwizkid

Quote from: X-Col on January 06, 2015, 11:30:05 PM
I've also just noticed that the MT32/CM32/64 music does not sound right when playing from HDD image V4.
Looks like the Sysex data does not transfer correctly to the Roland, so the music is 'wrong'.

Sounds fine when playing from floppies....

Hopefully some bright spark will fix this soon  ;)

I've been meaning to post a thread about this issue (since I thought it was just me). The MIDI music plays, but with many wrong instruments selected and some of the best tracks sound pretty bad. I also notice on my MT-32 screen that the message "Buffer Overflow" flashes when I change music tracks in sound test, which I assume is a generic error when SYSEX data is not received properly. Occasionally, Granada simply crashes on the Wolf Team logo when I try to run it in MIDI mode, but that's probably a separate issue.

For reference I'm using the System Sacom II MIDI Interface @ 10mhz

corpsicle

Pinwizkid: wanna hear something really weird?
I have a cm64 and a sc55 connected to each other via midi thru, and in granada i get drums and bass on the cm64 and the rest on the sc55.
Explain that.

Pinwizkid

I made a video showing the error I get on the MT-32. Anyone have any ideas how to get it to play properly? MIDI seems to work fine on most other games I try:

https://youtu.be/_PlnJvXZno4

SuperDeadite

Buffer Overflow is a common issue with the Rev 0 Mt32.  If you google MT-32 Buffer Overflow, you should find a lot of topics on it.  There are fixes but they are all for DOS machines afaik.  The later Revision of the MT-32 (and all the CM models) don't have this issue.