Aquales won't work on my X68 :( Anyone else?

Started by Segasonicfan, August 12, 2014, 06:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segasonicfan

Tried 3 different dumps with no luck.  It only needs 1MB of RAM so I am confused.  Anyone else have problems?
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

eidis

Hi Segasonicfan !

Aquales Intro runs with 1Mb
Game, if launched from floppy, requires 2Mb
2hdboot method requires 6Mb

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

k.h.

Does it give you some specific error messages or something ?

eidis

Hi Segasonicfan !

No it does not. I insert DATA disk in drive 0, USER DISK in drive 1 and it just works. This was tried on an ACE HD.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

P.S. There was another game, New Zealand Story, which does not work on SCSI machines but works on SASI models only. Could it be that Aquales does not like PRO models ?
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

Segasonicfan

Thanks for the fast replies!

I have a 2MB X68000 PRO HD model (1MB upgrade installed).  I've ran New Zealand story before and it worked great.

When I put in disc 0 and disc 1 I get a loading light for disc 0 and hear *no* movement or activity.  I left it like that for 10min and nothing happens - just a black/blank screen.

I tried a couple different floppys but maybe I'll try some more experimenting with brands.  Haven't had a problem like this with any other 2MB or less games yet, other stuff has been loading great and the drives run really smooth.

-Segasonicfan

Segasonicfan

Just tried with (yet another) known working dump of the game and with new floppies, still no dice.  I think the PRO HD model just doesn't play this game.  Would love to hear from someone with this model try it.

eidis

Hi Segasonicfan !

Try clearing SRAM and see if it helps.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

SuperDeadite

Quote from: Segasonicfan on August 14, 2014, 04:38:30 AM
Just tried with (yet another) known working dump of the game and with new floppies, still no dice.  I think the PRO HD model just doesn't play this game.  Would love to hear from someone with this model try it.

Actually, there are some games that do NOT work on a Pro.  Can't remember off hand, but I know I've seen warning stickers on some of the games in my collection.

Segasonicfan

Quote from: SuperDeadite on August 14, 2014, 07:21:00 PM
Quote from: Segasonicfan on August 14, 2014, 04:38:30 AM

Actually, there are some games that do NOT work on a Pro.  Can't remember off hand, but I know I've seen warning stickers on some of the games in my collection.

Very good to know.  That seems to make the most sense here, though I am waiting for someone on the forums with a PRO to try it out and confirm.  I've played a LOT of other games so far with no problem.

I'd try clearing the SRAM but I have some nice saves in there, plus the game doesn't access SRAM on boot I'm pretty sure, so I don't see why that would help necessarily.

Thanks for the replies!

-Zach

eidis

Hi Segasonicfan !

Not to worry. With the help of http://nfggames.com/X68000/Misc/Sram/SRAMLOAD.Lzh you can make a backup of your SRAM, clear it and then, if necessary, restore it.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

H68k

Is there actually any comercal games that do make use of the X68ks battery backed up memory? for saving stuff like scoreboard entry's, save games etc?

The only one's I've encountered so far that do, seam to be a few fan made or dojin titles.

Segasonicfan

Quote from: H68k on August 16, 2014, 06:09:34 AM
Is there actually any comercal games that do make use of the X68ks battery backed up memory? for saving stuff like scoreboard entry's, save games etc?

The only one's I've encountered so far that do, seam to be a few fan made or dojin titles.

There are lots that do this :)  Castlevania saves your game state to SRAM, Cotton will save your settings including monitor output to SRAM, to name a couple. and many games save your score to SRAM.

-Segasonicfan

eidis

Hi Segasonicfan !

Please prove me wrong but until now I always thought that Castlevania stores its savegames in SAVEDATA.DRA file. This can be easily proven by clearing SRAM and launching the game from freshly unpacked HDD image. You will see my save as third in the list.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

caius

Give me some time fo finish other jobs and I'll try out Aquales on my X68000 PRO, I promise  ;)

Segasonicfan

Quote from: caius on August 18, 2014, 07:10:10 AM
Give me some time fo finish other jobs and I'll try out Aquales on my X68000 PRO, I promise  ;)

PepAlacant

It doesn't work on my pro hd and my xvi.
I think it's about the DUMP... maybe !

SuperDeadite

For the record some games can save to the SRAM.  I know Pac-Land certainly does if you enable it in the options menu.  But most save to floppy/hdd.

PepAlacant

I was on a mistake. The game works on both perfectly... I just didn't know why the games doesn't go to the next stage... You should to choose the stage anytime.

The game is very good, i never played it deeply.

Psygnosis8

Quote from: PepAlacant on November 02, 2015, 08:14:00 AM
I was on a mistake. The game works on both perfectly... I just didn't know why the games doesn't go to the next stage... You should to choose the stage anytime.

The game is very good, i never played it deeply.

I play the game on my Compact XVI through a CF mod and I have the same issue.  So, if I reboot it I can choose the next stage?

I've played quite a ways into the game on emulators and it's fantastic.  One of the best for the platform, IMO.  I was really bummed when it crashed on me.

ashrion

Quote from: eidis on August 13, 2014, 01:06:06 AM
Hi Segasonicfan !

No it does not. I insert DATA disk in drive 0, USER DISK in drive 1 and it just works. This was tried on an ACE HD.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

P.S. There was another game, New Zealand Story, which does not work on SCSI machines but works on SASI models only. Could it be that Aquales does not like PRO models ?

New zeland history history work in my x68030 not problem (original and aztecmonster), only one little graphic error in little map, but game work perfect i arrival 4-1 not problems.

Aquales, inside instructions recomendation in models XVI work mode 10mhz not 16.