News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

PC-9821 HDD Image

Started by RobIvy64, June 15, 2014, 06:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caius

Yes, tons and tons fo hentai!But also very good games, for now I focused my attention to shooters and arcade ports.
Yes, I will modify your image.Eidis introduced the patch system so I could release only the diff files.Just a friendly suggestion : why don't you compress your uploaded image so you can save bandwith and uploading/downloading times?

P.S.
I'm helping with these databases:

http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/

http://mercenaryforce.web.fc2.com/pc9801/pc9801.html

RobIvy64

I don't care how the image is distributed or updated. I released it for people to improve upon and enjoy.

No need to follow any type of single-source approval procedure. Make any changes you see fit :)
"Console Mods" lurker

caius

These are the new games so far installed:

Return of Ishtar
Tetris
Steel Gun Nyan
Arrow Gunner Ex
Steam Heart's
Burning Dragon
Burning Dragon Plus
Metal Force
Space Invaders
Wings
Pacman
Gods
Xenon 2

Please, make your suggestions about other games to add.Tomorrow I will release the update as a patch to your V1 HDD Image.

RobIvy64

I'm still pretty unfamiliar with the PC-98's library as a whole, but I will see what I can find.

I appreciate your work on this!

I'll combine the patch with the base image and filer, fix a few directory bugs, and compile/release a new image :)
"Console Mods" lurker

caius

Ok.I just discovered there are also DOOM series on PC-98!But maybe they requiresWindows 95 or Pentium CPU.Anyway I'd recommend you  to download that giant non-TOSEC collection (links above), you will get lost into it!  :)

RobIvy64

Hmm, I have Windows 3.1 installed on my original HDD, but I have no way to recover it. Nothing else will read the drive, and if I connect the CF and original HDD, they do not see each other.

This game looks good too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS2Bs0TqChk
"Console Mods" lurker

acridAxid

Quote from: caius on June 19, 2014, 09:08:56 AM
Ok.I just discovered there are also DOOM series on PC-98!But maybe they requiresWindows 95 or Pentium CPU.

Doesn't look like it:

eidis

Hi Guys !

Congratulations on successfully starting a great project !

QuoteI've found that emulator vs hardware compatibility is entirely different. I had the Flame Zapper HDI written to an image when my PC98 arrived. I was surprised to find that it wouldn't boot from it.

I've read that the PC98 uses an unusual partition table that is difficult to replicate.

http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1328

According to this Tokugawa thread, PC98 HDD images, which are used in emulators, are not pure raw data dumps and have headers in the beginning of the file. The X68000 on the other hand does not, so it is easy to clone and restore them. Snake Plissken even has a solution for Linux users on how to backup and restore the images.

QuoteHmm, I have Windows 3.1 installed on my original HDD, but I have no way to recover it. Nothing else will read the drive, and if I connect the CF and original HDD, they do not see each other.

The PC98 was very popular so there could be a driver which allows reading and writing FAT32 or FAT16 partitions. Try finding it and the data transfer troubles should be over.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

RobIvy64

Awesome! I can't wait to try it out! Im having to re-download the image since mine was modified, then patch, then write to CF. So it's gonna be a while :)

If it works properly on real hardware, I'll upload this as the new base image and request that Lawrence delete the original V1
"Console Mods" lurker

caius

OK, let me know.Probably something is wrong or broken, this was just to do some PC-98 practice... :)

RobIvy64

I have the image running on my 98, but at first startup, I noticed that the filer is not working.

Maybe the patching application broke it?

I am looking into it now and testing.
"Console Mods" lurker

RobIvy64

I reloaded the filer and tested every game tonight. I think the patch doesn't add the filer to the V1 HDD image, or the program is stripped out of the patch itself.

I also changed ALL folders to load the game with !START.BAT

The HELLOGRE game did not load at all, and a few of the games were REALLY fast. Probably early PC-98 games that are programmed to the CPU cycles, and a 486 makes the game too fast. KEMESIS loads but with scrambled background graphics.
These types of incompatibilities are to be expected though, and I don't think these games should be omitted from the image.

Perhaps we should classify the CPU sensitive games within a different subdirectory? There were only 2-3 in this version.
"Console Mods" lurker

RobIvy64

Updated first post with link to new v1.5 image!
"Console Mods" lurker

caius

Quote from: RobIvy64 on June 20, 2014, 02:41:51 PM
I reloaded the filer and tested every game tonight. I think the patch doesn't add the filer to the V1 HDD image, or the program is stripped out of the patch itself.

I also changed ALL folders to load the game with !START.BAT

The HELLOGRE game did not load at all, and a few of the games were REALLY fast. Probably early PC-98 games that are programmed to the CPU cycles, and a 486 makes the game too fast. KEMESIS loads but with scrambled background graphics.
These types of incompatibilities are to be expected though, and I don't think these games should be omitted from the image.

Perhaps we should classify the CPU sensitive games within a different subdirectory? There were only 2-3 in this version.

No, me bad, it was my fault since I didn't add to your original image which I started from.Maybe some games are broken due this.I will prepare another patch.

caius

Here is the 1.5V patch to RobIvy64 PC-98 HDD V1 image ( to Lawrence : please, delete the older PC98HDDV1_PATCH.zip in the upload folder of FTP)

http://nfggames.com/x68000/Uploads/PC98HDDV1_PATCH_1.5.zip

What's new:

-Added FILMTN filer after boot

-Added following games to GAMES directory (highlight !START.BAT and press 'R' key+ENTER to launch it):

Galaxian (PC88 emulation)
Marble Madness (need mouse) 
Kemesis 
Return of Ishtar
Tetris
Steel Gun Nyan
Arrow Gunner Ex (too fast - unplayable on emulators)
Steam Heart's
Burning Dragon
Burning Dragon Plus
Metal Force
Space Invaders
Wings (too fast - unplayable on emulators)
Pacman
Gods (with MT-32 MIDI support)
Xenon 2 (too fast - unplayable on emulators)
Carat
Edge
Briganty (press a key to skip the japanese message and enter in game)

-Renamed all START.BAT games files in !START.BAT

-Added 'ADDDEV.EXE' executable to DOS directory (to load into memory after boot specific drivers needed by games)

As you notice, some games have speed issue under emulation so, please if you can , test them on real hardware and report feedback.
PLEASE NOTE : This image works only on real hardware.Feel free to ask  the one working under emulators.
In order to apply the patch you need the original RobIvy64 HDD V1  image:

http://nfggames.com/PC98/HDDimages/PC98HDDV1.ima

Patch has been generated (and can be applied) with PatchOnClick V2.3.0.0 - Freeware Version, you can download it from here:

http://nfggames.com/X68000/PC_Tools/patchonclick-2-3-en-win.exe

eidis

Hi !

I was wondering, the HDD V1 image compresses from 1.30Gb down to 267Mb with ordinary ZIP. You can probably guess what I wanted to ask.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

RobIvy64

The complete V1.5 image is linked in the first post :)

Downloading one 260MB file is better than downloading a 1GB file, installing a patching tool (assuming everyone has Windows, which they might not), downloading the patch, then patching the image.

Also, if there are any changes to the image the patching tool will not work.

Besides, I plan on having Lawrence delete the v1.0 image since we have 1.5 available. There is no need for anyone to archive 1.0 with the great improvements you have added to 1.5!
"Console Mods" lurker

eidis

Hi RobIvy 64 !

Have you discovered a way to convert the image from native to emulator format and vice versa ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

RobIvy64

No, not without destroying the partition table.

Unfortunately for now we will have to have two versions.
"Console Mods" lurker

caius

Quote from: RobIvy64 on June 20, 2014, 10:55:21 PM
The complete V1.5 image is linked in the first post :)

Downloading one 260MB file is better than downloading a 1GB file, installing a patching tool (assuming everyone has Windows, which they might not), downloading the patch, then patching the image.

Also, if there are any changes to the image the patching tool will not work.

Besides, I plan on having Lawrence delete the v1.0 image since we have 1.5 available. There is no need for anyone to archive 1.0 with the great improvements you have added to 1.5!

Sure, you are right.So I could provide you only the patch file (also only via PM) and you will take care of the whole updating process?Anyway, I think every old image (or old file) has to be deleted from NFG FTP after a new one is released.Personally I will ask the moderators  for a full FTP access.

RobIvy64

Sure, I can patch and upload the final image :)

And I agree, no need to archive old images!
"Console Mods" lurker

eidis

Hi RobIvy64,

It turned out that the RAW dump does not have any special powers and the only thing which prevents from using it in emulator is the lack of header.

Could you try stripping some other HDI images of header, restoring them to physical media and trying to use them on real hardware ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

caius

eidis

Hi Caius !

I think that it will work. Your image starts with the same contents after the header as the raw dump at its begining.

Now we need to reverse engineer the header format so a convenient converter can be written.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

H68k

QuoteCaius: Yes, I'm starting to love this machine.I'm sorry for X68000 but I will betray him for some time...

"YOU DON'T KNOW THE POWER! of the dark side..."

caius

Quote from: RobIvy64 on June 20, 2014, 10:55:21 PM

Hi RobIvy64, can I delete the V1.0 from the FTP?

RobIvy64

Sure! Sorry I meant to do this today as well as test the new image, but I have been very busy :(
"Console Mods" lurker

RobIvy64

I tested the latest games you sent me. The results werent too good with this batch:

Tetris2 and Quarth worked great

Flash loaded the cool intro with corrupt graphics, then nothing.
BT: nothing
Netguard: Very slow... and I mean 1 frame every 3-4 seconds kinda slow.

I have a 5x86 @ 133MHz upgrade CPU due to arrive this week, so maybe i'll test that one again.
"Console Mods" lurker

caius

Sadly emulators and your machine can have different configuration, I presume.How many conventional+EMS RAM did you set  and how much EMS can you maximum have?
Then Flashback and Black Thorne use both 256 colours on screen, i can try to install the 16 colours version and see if they works for you.

P.S.
Anyway, I'm gonna to take a real machine so all my installations wil be tested before any release.

RobIvy64

Ahh that explains it. The 256 color games may only work on late model PC-98 computers (Windows-era).

My machine has 640K + 36MB Extended, which is the maximum for this computer.
"Console Mods" lurker

caius

Did you ever think to upgrade your machine to Windows 95 or 98?Is there any problem to  launch games from DOS prompt?
Regarding other model of PC-9821 (like for example PC-9821XA/XE/XN/XP/XS/NP and other with Pentium CPU) I think they are not to be taken into account due sound incompatibility?The problem is that PC-9821A are quite expensive while the ones mentioned are very cheap.

RobIvy64

Any of the other models will require the PC-9801-86 FM sound board. The "A" and "C" series have this built-in to the mainboard.
"Console Mods" lurker

caius

It could be also a good thing to get one of these model and add a 86 sound board  so you will have a joystick port at least.

RobIvy64

I've read about some compatibility issues with the sound card vs. built-in. I haven't tested this but we are breaking new ground as it is!
"Console Mods" lurker

caius

I noticed  the CX models are cheaper than Amate ones though they have better hardware (more RAM, Pentium CPU, built-in CD-ROM):

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=pc-9821cx&auccat=&aq=-1&oq=&ei=UTF-8&slider=0&tab_ex=commerce

They have also built-in 86 sound card.I'm still uncertain about my purchase. ???

RobIvy64

Cx has the YMF288 which is an "86 compatible" chip. I know some of the Touhou stuff won't work with it!
"Console Mods" lurker

caius

Right, I have still to fix these things in my head so, pardon if you repeated it a billion of times.. :)
I found that PC-98 has a virtual floppy emulation program  similar to 2HDBOOT on X68000, it's called 'ERCVFD'.I'm trying to set up it but I'm struggling due limited japanese language understanding.It would allow to launch from HDD not installable games (like the protected and not DOS ones)

RobIvy64

Feel free to share screenshots and we can find someone to assist with translation!
"Console Mods" lurker

caius

The difficult task is that this virtual floppy system is a combination of four programs that need to be configured and launched in AUTOEXEC.BAT, thye have a lot of differnt paramters to be set.

HSB (High Speed Boot) http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/dos/util/se002233.html
ERCACHE http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/dos/game/se023028.html
ERCVFD http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/dos/game/se023028.html
ESOUND.COM (needed when a sound card is present) http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/dos/art/se010884.html

I understood that ERCVFD need a special format in order to mount the disk image so every floppy needs to be converted, I succesfully do it but I'm unable to mount them.Then it seems  that every game need also a different configuration.
Anyway starting with translation of  the manual of each program would be very useful.I hope some japanese user (or better, someone who has already used this program) will help us.

P.S:
It seems your last update on FTP is corrupted, I tried to rebuild the .ZIP with WinRAR without success.

eidis

Hi Caius !

Sorry for the late reply. It looks like ERCVFD is the main program which uses ERCACHE and HSB as external applications. Here are some excerpts from the readme file.

System requirements: 80386CPU
640KB and 1MB formats are supported
ERCACHE uses G-VRAM and does not work in high resolution mode
2mb ram minimum, 8mb recommended
1.3MB of ram for 1MB image required
4mb xms minimum, 8mb recommended

ERCVFD parameters
  /SAVE          filename [/DRIVE=xx][/LABEL=label][/LEVEL=n]
  /FORMAT      filename [/DRIVE=xx]
                      xx=90-93,10-13,70-73,F0-F3
                      n=0,1,2,3
  /LOAD          filename [/PROTECT]
  /LOADP        filename [/DISK=n]
  /VERIFY        filename
  /VFDCOPY    [/DISK=n][/PROTECT]
  /VFDSAVE     filename [/DISK=n][/LABEL:label][/PATCH]
                      n=1,2.....15
  /VFDSAVE?   [/PATCH]
  /SETLABEL    filename [/LABEL=label]
  /REBOOT
  /CPUWAIT=n
                       nz0,1.....127
  /IC{+|-}
  /WAITP=n
  /WAITI=n
  /PTRAP=xx-xx,...
  /INIT

===============================================================
  /SAVE - creates floppy image file from physical media

/DRIVE=xx - selects source drive (90 by default)

When creating 1MB floppy image
(1MB mode)
90 # 1
91 # 2
92 # 3
93 # 4
(640KB mode)
F0 # 1
F1 # 2
F2 # 3
F3 # 4
(PC-9801 / M, PC-9801-15 or equivalent)
90 # 1
91 # 2
92 # 3
93 # 4

When creating 640kb floppy image
(1MB mode)
10 # 1
11 # 2
12 # 3
13 # 4
(640KB mode)
70 # 1
71 # 2
72 # 3
73 # 4
(PC-9801/F/U/VF, PC-9801-09 or equivalent)
70 # 1
71 # 2
72 # 3
73 # 4

/LABEL=xxxx - creates volume label for virtual floppy disk
                37 characters max. if omited, labell is not created

/ LEVEL = n - data analysis level (0-3)
    0 is default but might not work with MS-DOS, N88-BASIC(86) disks.
    In such cases 3 should be used instead.

0 - default
    Compatible with single density / double density. Image is created by         
    analysing one sector and media ID.

1 - simple
    All sectors in track have the same length. Works faster than level 0.
    Tracks that do not meet criteria are handled at level 0.

2 - naive
    By default 2-163 tracks, without analysing single density.
    Faster than level 1

3 - very naive
    Track 3~153 (640kb to 159) without analyzing track 2
    Faster than level 2
    Track 154 (640KB to 160)~163 is treated as unformated.
    Switches to level 2 if condition is not met.

Using ERCACHE
    Must be loaded as device driver and "/ VFD = n" and "/ VFDS = n"
    must be specified.
    After loading the Virtual FD, all read and write access is done
    in RAM and not to HDD.

/LOAD - reads floppy image and registers it with ERCACHE

/VFDCOPY - copies mounted floppy image to specified /DISK = n

/VERIFY - tests image file integrity

/PROTECT - write protects image file
        default is write-enabled

/DISK =n - specify nr. of virtual drives (n: 1~15)

/REBOOT - reboot from the virtual drive

/INIT - release all mounted images from memory

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis