Recording Arcade Games to the Hauppauge PVR Rocket

Started by Tighe, February 18, 2014, 01:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tighe

This is something I want to set up, I would appreciate it if you guys would weigh in on what I am planning on doing, and if you think I have something wrong here.

The Hauppauge PVR Rocket will record HDMI and Component video (YPbPr) I already connected it to my PS2 and was able to record perfectly.

In order to record arcade video I would need to convert the Hsync/Vsync to composite sync if the game doesn't output composite sync:

Then mix the composite sync into the green signal:

Finally convert the RGsB to YPbPr:

Tighe

This is what I find interesting on the page I found for the RGB to YPBPr circuit:

QuoteFigure 15 shows a method of generating the standard definition YPBPR signals from an RGB source using a pair of LT6550 triple amplifiers. It should be noted that to ensure Y includes a correct sync, correct syncs should be present at all three inputs or else added directly at the Y output (gated 8.5mA current sink or 350Ω switched to –3.3V). This circuit does not deliberately reduce bandwidth on the color component outputs, but most display devices will nonetheless apply a Nyquist filter at the digitizer section of the "optical engine" in the display unit. The circuit is shown as DC-coupled, so ideally black level is near ground for best operation with the low-voltage supplies shown. Adding input coupling capacitors will allow processing source video that has substantial offset.

Does that mean I need to have composite sync mixed in on all the channels or to the Y output?

Tighe

TheDrifter363

I'm curious can't you use the xrgb mini to upscale the games to 720p or 1080p? This way the rocket can recognize the input and you wouldn't have to worry about sync issues. Well unless the sync would have trouble with the xrgb mini. Then again if this is an actual arcade cabinet then I have no idea on how to hook that up since don't they have dedicated monitors? If the latter is true, then I apologize for not being able to offer helpful information.

Tighe

Quote from: TheDrifter363 on February 20, 2014, 04:09:20 PM
I'm curious can't you use the xrgb mini to upscale the games to 720p or 1080p? This way the rocket can recognize the input and you wouldn't have to worry about sync issues. Well unless the sync would have trouble with the xrgb mini. Then again if this is an actual arcade cabinet then I have no idea on how to hook that up since don't they have dedicated monitors? If the latter is true, then I apologize for not being able to offer helpful information.

I am sure that the Framemister would work great, but it is WAY too much money.

So I got the Gonbes CGA to VGA converter from Paradise arcade yesterday and the VGA to HDMI converter from Monoprice as well.

I hooked it up and it works in that I can see it on my HDMI monitor, but since it doesn't upscale the image the Hauppauge won't recognize the signal.  It looks like I need to get an upscaling converter if I want this to work.

This one looks promising:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-Video-Converter-VGA-YPbPr-to-HDMI-Upscaler-720P-1080P-Audio-VGA-input-/321100425709

Also, I got the  JROK RGB to Component adapter in the from XianXi to try out as well.  It should be delivered tomorrow. It looks like the Hauppauge will upscale images on the component in but not the HDMI in.