RGB SNES for GameCube

Started by Adrianovix, January 13, 2014, 02:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrianovix

Hello, I want to buy an RGB cable for my GameCube PAL but the original nintendo is very expensive. I seen on the internet and the RGB cables Super Famicom (SNES JAP) are the same as the PAL GameCube. Is that true?
I been looking at this ad this cable "http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/super-nintendo-ntsc-rgb-av-scart-cable-av-lead-cord-for-sale.html "but do not take that configuration. Composite Video or Composite Sync? This is my question.

I am Spanish and my TV is PAL.

I'm new to this forum but I can say it is a great forum.

thank you very much to everyone for helping.

Fix_Metal

SNES doens't like decoupling caps along video lines, wheter GC needs them.
Better buy 2 different cables.

Andy-Antsinpants

The Super Famicom RGB cable uses a different Japanese SCART pinout at the SCART connector than European SCART/Peritel connectors.

PAL and NTSC versions of Nintendo's SNES, N64 and GameCube use different electric components (resistors and capacitors) within their Composite, S-Video and RGB cables. The pin assignment on the Multi AV port is slightly different, too. Please see the GameSX wiki for detailed information.

The 1st revision PAL SNES doesn't like caps on the RGB cable, the 2nd internal revision will work with caps. You can roughly determine the revision by the sticker underneath the console, they're different.

The PAL GameCube uses caps for RGB within its cable.

Your best bet is to get a cheap third party RGB cable for your GameCube. Make sure it's advertised for use with the PAL GameCube.
Since most of the third party cables aren't shielded properly for every single audio and video signal line (resulting in mediocre video quality and sometimes even audio interferences) or have been designed to work with the NTSC console counterparts (which goes for the majority of S-Video and Composite cables sold on eBay and materializes in a too dark/bright picture and moire/noise effects), be aware you might need to get your soldering iron out and hack the cable, if necessary.

The cable you've referred to in your starting post is designed for the NTSC SNES. Do not use it for the PAL GameCube. If in doubt, you should ask the seller for the cable's specifications.

On a funny sidenote, I see that same store advertising a Composite Video SCART lead for the NES, along with a video that claims to be taken from a real NES console:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xCsU_Ss9FY
To those who are familiar with the NES, it is obvious that this isn't captured from the console with Composite Video, but instead from an emulator or an RGB modified NES.

ApolloBoy

Quote from: Andy-Antsinpants on January 14, 2014, 04:48:18 PM
The cable you've referred to in your starting post is designed for the NTSC SNES. Do not use it for the PAL GameCube.
Actually a cable meant for the PAL GameCube will work fine on an NTSC SNES or Super Famicom, and vice versa.

Andy-Antsinpants

Does it? Well then please don't blame me if something goes wrong. From the GameSX wiki, I see regional differences in the console's Multi AV pinout (composite video vs c-sync vs 12 V) and the 75 Ohm resistor when comparing the NTSC SNES to the PAL GCN.

papa_november

Diagrams of each of the Nintendo SCART cables are here. It should be more or less possible to change a given cable to work with a given system.

ApolloBoy

Quote from: Andy-Antsinpants on January 21, 2014, 05:23:54 PM
Does it? Well then please don't blame me if something goes wrong. From the GameSX wiki, I see regional differences in the console's Multi AV pinout (composite video vs c-sync vs 12 V) and the 75 Ohm resistor when comparing the NTSC SNES to the PAL GCN.
Most NTSC SNES/PAL GameCube SCART cables use composite video for sync so that isn't really an issue.

Andy-Antsinpants

That's good to know.

Out of curiosity, what about the resistor? Would a misplaced or missing resistor alter the picture in an undesired way?
And would Composite Sync on the NTSC SNES consoles help to gain a clearer RGB picture instead of using Composite Video as a Sync source?

Fix_Metal

Quote from: Andy-Antsinpants on January 29, 2014, 06:59:31 AM
Out of curiosity, what about the resistor? Would a misplaced or missing resistor alter the picture in an undesired way?
And would Composite Sync on the NTSC SNES consoles help to gain a clearer RGB picture instead of using Composite Video as a Sync source?
A resistor misplaced along video lines would of course alter the image.
Sync would maybe help getting a more stable image, surely not a "clearer" image.

ApolloBoy

Quote from: Fix_Metal on January 29, 2014, 09:01:03 PM
Sync would maybe help getting a more stable image, surely not a "clearer" image.
Actually it does in a lot of cases. For both my RGB-modded SNES mini and RGB-modded N64, using composite video for sync resulted in some "crosshatching" on certain colors (especially on oranges and yellows). I wound up getting a SCART cable that used composite sync instead and now I get a perfect image on both systems. My Super Famicom (an SHVC-CPU-01 board for the record) also had this issue but to a lesser extent.