External Power Supply Options

Started by BlueBMW, October 30, 2013, 12:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

I've successfully rebuilt several power supplies for various X68000 systems, but I have also had several power supplies fail again after a short while.  Each time I spend the time to track down whatever component failed, replace it (and any others that died also) and go again.  After a while this gets pretty frustrating.  Keeping these old power supplies running is difficult and I'm looking for other options.

I've done internal ATX/ITX replacements and while they do work, they take up the hard drive space which is a problem if you want to set up an internal hard drive or compact flash interface.  I'd rather not do this setup.

I thought I've heard mention of using an external 12V power supply with an internal "picoPSU" unit to supply the various voltages required (+5v,+5vsb, +12v, -12v)   I'm curious if one of these set ups will work with the X68000.

My question to you folks is this.... how powerful of a supply does the X68000 require?  And are there any other caveats you can think of with using something like this:

http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-150-XT-150W-Adapter-Power-Kit

It would seem a pretty clean set up.  The barrel plug connection could be mouted to the stock power supply housing.  No funny cables hanging out of the power cord hole etc.

lydux

All my twin-tower models use those cheap picoPSU. The same form factor as in your link, but with a single input voltage (12v). So the input connector is just a jack.
I've built a custom pcb, with the shape of the original PSU to fit inside the PSU case. On the pcb is a TTL inverter, 20 pins ATX female connector, and a bunch of holes for various output voltages. As for the input jack, it fit where the neutral plug was.

This setup works nicelly, as long as you have a correct power brick :

The x68000 power consumption can vary a lot depending on its actual state and equipment. I don't have the tools for testing, but I guess about 50~60w for a stock ACE.
Now, assuming a fully equipped ACE : I mean both 2 expansions port filled, 1MB ram addon, older hard drive, mouse, keyboard, 2 joysticks and both floppy drives motor spinning while playing a game, you can expect 90~100w.

So, I would recommand a 120W and fan cooled power brick. That's what I use on my SUPER which is actually about the same as the previous extreme setup.
Works like a charm !

BlueBMW

I went ahead and ordered one.  Thanks for confirming that it should work!

BlueBMW

Got in the external PSU setup and wired one up.  Works fantastic!  Its strange not hearing a fan turn on when I power on the system.

I still need to mount it inside the PSU case, but I wanted to make sure it worked fine first.

H68k

I've gone down a smiler route with my XVI.

I didn't fancy the idea of constantly having to keep doing fiddly work to keep the original power supply in working order. (if they really are as bad as people say) so i went along with plan B... which involved 3 hours of of splicing wires together and some messy solder work with the help of my father..

After testing... it seams to work well.. my XVI ran for a couple of hours during testing with a PicoPSU and external power brick, and not cutting out like it used to.. it's still has some other miner issues it seams.. and a mess of wires outside the case... but it works :)

BlueBMW

I finally mounted up the PICO PSU etc inside the stock power supply case.  Next time I'll do it a little differently for cosmetic reasons, but overall it looks ok.  Switch still turns the power on and off by cutting the 12v to the PICOpsu inside.  AC port is just for show as is the fan.

gypsie

sharp

Corummo

I recall we had a talk about this solution, just during last summer.
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5097.msg33980#msg33980

Very impressed of the final result you achieved.
Greetings! :)