WIP: Universal Wireless Retro Controller v2

Started by micro, October 20, 2013, 08:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcahest

Quote from: RDC on October 23, 2013, 10:26:06 AM
I like that Up/Down pad cut solution, but a single cut straight thru the middle of the Left/Right pads, also from left to right, is all that's needed, and it will be much faster as it's not 9 small cuts.
Any similar suggestions on how to fix the dpad circuit traces on the SFC30 8Bitdo controller?
They fuxxed it up just like the early SNES PCB boards micro did back then, you can see their dpad circuit design on the rightmost image.
Sadly their design is so awkward I don't think cutting here and there could fix it..?

Link83

Quote from: Alcahest on September 30, 2016, 06:15:13 AM
Quote from: RDC on October 23, 2013, 10:26:06 AM
I like that Up/Down pad cut solution, but a single cut straight thru the middle of the Left/Right pads, also from left to right, is all that's needed, and it will be much faster as it's not 9 small cuts.
Any similar suggestions on how to fix the dpad circuit traces on the SFC30 8Bitdo controller?
They fuxxed it up just like the early SNES PCB boards micro did back then, you can see their dpad circuit design on the rightmost image.
Sadly their design is so awkward I don't think cutting here and there could fix it..?
I looked into cutting the 8Bitdo D-Pad carbon contacts when I created the thread over at at the 8Bitdo forums:-
http://forum.8bitdo.com/thread-446-1-1.html

Unfortunately it doesnt appear to be easily possible due to the contact design they used :(
The best you could probably do is something like this:-
http://imgur.com/ZV1QwIw
Making sure to note the orientation of the vias which are different for each contact direction.
However you would lose about half of the carbon contact area, so it might be just end up making the D-pad too insensitive to work properly afterwards.

<EDIT>Scratch the above - the cut orientation would be opposite to Nintendo's D-pad design so it wouldn't actually help at all :-[

-Also, since this is micro's UWRC thread it might not really be fair to discuss 8Bitdo here? :-\
Perhaps move your post over to the 8Bitdo thread and i'll do the same?

Alcahest

Thanks for your reply Link.
So yes.. due to their design it won't be possible to fix it proper by just cutting traces, sad.
(indeed relying on 1/2 the remaining carbon isn't optimal to say the least)

And I didn't think it'd be unfair to post this here. If anything it emphasizes how much better micro's solution is ^^;
I would love to see an indepth comparison of micro's UWRC versus 8Bitdo in terms of responsiveness/latency too, I have little doubts micro's design is superior as well in that regard.

Jezry

Hi Micro.
Du you still have Nes boards and recievers?
Also would be very interessted in board for saturn and reciever for mega drive if and when you make more.
Regards

plegenda

Hey micro!

Think it's possible to use a universal pcb with one of these?

Regards,

8bitforlife

micro if you see this would be able to respond to the private message i sent ya thank you.

chuckfinley

Hey Micro,
I bought your N64 Stick Converter PCB years ago, good stuff.
I'm glad to see you've gotten around to offering the wireless PCB for the Saturn.
I'll be keeping an eye out in case you make more.  :)

thriftypickle

Hello,

One of my Sega Saturn receivers has stopped working. We did not use it for a while. Maybe a year or more. I've checked the connections and everything looks correct. We know how to sync properly. Both controllers will sync up fine. On the receiver that doesn't work, every button press does illuminate the LED. The system just isn't getting a button press. When both of the receivers are plugged in at the same time, neither work, unless the other is unplugged. It seems to me, just guessing, that the wireless chip is hearing it, but the other chip isn't interpreting it. Is there any way to fix that? Would it be easier to just buy a new receiver pcb from you?

Still hope to get a pair of Genesis receivers as well. The Turbo Grafx look awesome, would love to get a kit of two. Please let me know if / when you have the time. I've had a lot of surgeries and will probably be having several more. Wireless controllers are a godsend when immobilized and wanting to enjoy classic games for long hours.

Thanks!

ArliissonxD

Ola sou do brasil , acredito que me comunicando em português , possa ser de facil entendimento a algumas pessoas , já que o tradutor do google "IS BAD" !!! HAHAHA

bom eu estou com dificuldades em gravar os mcu para projeto do snes , pois o meu gravador é um usbasp, que eta dando erro de sck , check firmware etc ..
gostaria de uma auxilio , pois também  tenho um STK200/300 caseiro que fiz em um forum e possuo o Arduino , vi que poderia gravar em modo isp usando ele ,
mas sou um pouco leito no assunto , tentei com my avr progtool usando o USBASP sem sucesso , gostaria de algumas dicas da galera , se eu usar o STK200
consigo usando o Ponyprog ou o proprio MyAvrprogtool .. ou se no caso eu comprasse um desse seria melhor
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-USB-STK500-for-ATMEGA8U2-ATMEGA8-ATMEGA128-the-AVR-best-programmer-M/152470914457?hash=item237ff98599:g:AKMAAOSwax5YxnrN

Aguardo o retorno de voces , pois estou tentando fazer um controle wireless desde o começo do ano e ainda sem resultados ..
no aguardo 

bruno_bcm

Quote from: ArliissonxD on November 08, 2017, 12:23:55 AM
Ola sou do brasil , acredito que me comunicando em português , possa ser de facil entendimento a algumas pessoas , já que o tradutor do google "IS BAD" !!! HAHAHA

bom eu estou com dificuldades em gravar os mcu para projeto do snes , pois o meu gravador é um usbasp, que eta dando erro de sck , check firmware etc ..
gostaria de uma auxilio , pois também  tenho um STK200/300 caseiro que fiz em um forum e possuo o Arduino , vi que poderia gravar em modo isp usando ele ,
mas sou um pouco leito no assunto , tentei com my avr progtool usando o USBASP sem sucesso , gostaria de algumas dicas da galera , se eu usar o STK200
consigo usando o Ponyprog ou o proprio MyAvrprogtool .. ou se no caso eu comprasse um desse seria melhor
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-USB-STK500-for-ATMEGA8U2-ATMEGA8-ATMEGA128-the-AVR-best-programmer-M/152470914457?hash=item237ff98599:g:AKMAAOSwax5YxnrN

Aguardo o retorno de voces , pois estou tentando fazer um controle wireless desde o começo do ano e ainda sem resultados ..
no aguardo

Sai daí Arlisson!!!!!!!!!!! kkkkkkkk

bruno_bcm

Hi everyone!

What my friend wants to say is:

Hi, I'm from Brasil, I believe that if I comunicate in portuguese, should be easier to some of you to understand, as the google translate "É UMA BOSTA" !!! HAHAHA

Well, I have some issues to record the MCU for my snes project, because my recorder is an USBASP, that,s giving SCK error, or "check the firmware", etc...
I'd like some help, because, I have a homemade STK200/300 too, that I made througt by a FORUM, and I have an Arduino. I saw that I can record in ISP mode using it. I have few knowledge about it, I'm trying with AVR progtool using the USBASP without sucess. So, I'd like some tips from you guys, if I use the STK200, can using the Ponyprog or the MyAvrprogtool... or if I buy this one (link below), it will be better?

Waiting for replys, because I trying to do a wireless controller since the 2017 beginnig and still no results...

Acrof

So, is there a N64 board coming?  ;D
I really loved the idea of having wireless controllers for all my consoles, but I really wanted a decent solution for the N64.

Your first design works for it, but kills the rumble/memory card functionality, is there a way, any way, to make the 64's controller go wireless while keeping those features? I wouldn't mind stuffing the controller with 2, 3, heck even 5 small batteries, if power consumption is the problem.

I spent my whole childhood playing the N64, that's why it's so important to me, and there's no wireless solution for it that does it all...

I'd be happy if I could also make it work with the Transfer Pak, but that's probably not possible, right?
I don't mind if the N64 controller would only work with the 64, if that meant keeping the expansion port on the controller working with it's accessories.

I've assembled a few boards before, and these controller boards seem doable for me, you don't plan to release the files so it would be possible to order them from OSH Park or similar services?

For the consoles that already have a somewhat decent wireless solution, like 8bitdo controllers, and the Sega controllers Retrobit will be selling later, I'll probably buy those.

Seroczynski

Got back to this board after looking for a wireless solution for my Hi-Def NES. Again it's micro who seems to come up with a solution (I've already been using your N64 controller PCB for a while now). Will be looking to order in the near future, of stock is still available by that time. I'll be sure to drop you a PM.

Anyhow, great work and thanks! Hope you keep surprising us with your modification.

amp.dipkings

Has there been any development for a v2 n64? I created an add on PCB for the controller modification for your v1.2 instead of running wires between pins, and adding wires/resistor for the LED. But, a full on PCB like you've been making for the others would be amazing!

I also just started working on creating my own version of it, just in case you decide not to do one because of the battery life or something.

Thanks for all your hard work!!