News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Ys III

Started by kamiboy, August 28, 2013, 01:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamiboy

Well, shame on all you gentlemen, neither the baller or the regular X68000 HD image seem to have this game available. So like a filthy pirate I downloaded the xdfs and used the RAM hungry method to make it playable. Thing is though the save function does not seem to carry over from session to session.

I assume the RAM hungry method just copies the contents of each disk to memory and points virtual floppy drives to said locations. Thus the save game changes are written to the same place and lost upon boot.

Anything one can do about this setback?

Also, does Ys III have a secret 15 khz option? There are none in the menu.

Edit:

Hmmm. It sems in the first level there is a wall obstructing progress where one should not be. Is this some sort of copy protection? If so then kudos to the programmers, a very creative way of going about. Anywaste, if that is indeed the case then that will certainly explain the omission.

SuperDeadite

Ys III is one of the games that is only truly playable off floppy disks.  It will run off flash/hdd using 2HDBoot/2HDSim however, besides not being able to truly save.

You will not be able to get past the data disk change screen.  It's one of a few games (Genocide I, La Place No Ma, etc) that actually checks to see if a disk is physically writable or not.  If the disk is writable, it will not accept it.  I have tested this extensively, using some hacker copy tools I backed up my original disks, and I could only get past the data disk change after applying a read only sticker to the disk.  Also using MKIMG I was able to write internet images of La Place No Ma to disks, and with stickers on, worked fine, no stickers, stuck at disk change screen

2HDboot and 2HDSim actually mount images as read only, hence you can't save.  But the above games still don't pass the "read-only" check for some reason.

kamiboy

That is funny, the game gave me no trouble in that regard. When mounting the disks in XM6 I see that you usually have to change disks when heading out of town and into the quarry. But when I play the images using 2HDboot I got no disk change prompt or problems when heading out of town, it just worked.

The trouble is when you head into the quarry there is a wall blocking your path. Either that is a glich induced by 2HDboot or it is a clever antipiracy scheme.

Now I am leaning towards it being a glitch. So far as I understand 2HDboot mirrors several disks to the same drive, that way when the game checks for the presence of a file it will see that it is present and will think that the correct disk is already inserted.

This gets dangerous once a file with the same name but different content is on two disks. I am not sure what 2HDboot will do when faced with such a conflict. Outside of throwing up an error it will have to choose one to mirror and thus at some point the game will think it is reading the file, a level data file for an exanple, from one disk but it is actually reading another disks version of said file.

This could explain the barred entrance I suppose.

SuperDeadite

Heading to the quarry isn't a disk change, the problem occurs when the game needs Data Disk 2, which appears much later in game.  In fact if you have a save file from late in the game you can start with Data Disk 2 no problem, but then if you go back to a stage that's on Data Disk 1, you get stuck.   As for a wall, I've never seen this, are you sure you've done everything in the Town first?  You can't just leave, you have to do story stuff first.

kamiboy

What story stuff?

You but armour and then you see the guy on the ground who says that the quarry is overrun by monsters and you just head out, right?

That is how the SNES version seems to work from the gameplay videos that I've see.