Best settings for XM6 Type G

Started by kuros456, August 10, 2013, 11:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kuros456

I finally got the latest version of XM6 Type g working thanks to the instructions on this thread:
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5000.0

Now, I just need some help configuring the settings!  I should mention the only thing I'll be using this for is playing games, and that I'm going for the most accurate settings to the original hardware.

Here's some specific questions I have:
1) By selecting a Joystick, say the Genesis 6 button, do all of the action buttons get automatically mapped, or is this something I need to configure myself?

2)Best sound settings? I have no clue on this one

3)For the Display settings, under Renderer, I have Linear Filter and VSYNC checked. I'm guessing show CRT is for the aspect ratio, correct?
   Also, should I check Auto dot-by-dot or Mix per Block?  My monitor is 1600x900

4)Should I mess around with the speed or memory settings, or will this cause bugs or some games to not work?

5)Do I need to bother setting up a hard drive (SASI, SxSI, etc.)?

5)Anything else I should change?

I realize I asked a lot of (probably noobish) questions here, but information is scarce, and I figured this would be the best place to turn.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SuperDeadite

You are doing this backwards.  You can't just choose one set of settings and force games into those settings.  You have to change your settings based on the game.  Meaning you choose a game you want to play, then pick the best settings for it.  Controller wise the majority of games use Atari style pads, meaning just 2 buttons.  Games that support 6 buttons such as Street Fighter II do so because they load their own special controller driver.

Machine speeds and MIDI settings are also totally dependent on each individual game.  This is a computer, not a "push power" and forget games console.

kuros456

Gotcha.  Are there any good resources for finding out the best settings for games?

I guess the only questions I have now are:

-Is there any advantage to using a hard disk image file vs. a rom of the floppy?

-How do you set up the MIDI drive?

neko68k

Using an hd image will be faster load times and a bit more convenient overall. Getting midi working is as simple as choosing the correct midi reset type(gm, gs, xg, la) and OUT device(Microsoft GS, etc) in the options and picking 'external' or 'sc-55' or 'mt-32' or similar in the game. I recommend installing BASSMIDI and a good SoundFont for GS(sc-55, sc-88, etc) and installing the MUNT(mt-32, la) driver.

kuros456

Awesome, thanks!  Loving BASSMIDI!

Only question I have is how do you know which reset type and interrupt level to use?

neko68k

I haven't noticed any difference with the interrupt level, might just be to avoid conflicts on your specific configuration. The reset type is related to the type of module you are emulating.

• GS = SoundCanvas SC-55/88/etc
  • GM = General MIDI
  • XG = Yamaha MU100, etc
  • LA = Roland MT-32(use the MUNT driver instead of BASSMIDI for this).
The game will usually specify if its SC-55 or whatever and you can choose your setting in the emulator accordingly. For more information regarding MIDI in general and what all those letters up there really mean, check wikipedia or something.