CompactXVI for sale ( not from me) on Ebay

Started by caius, July 19, 2013, 06:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamiboy

I saw it a few days ago when it went up. It is great news that Japanese sellers are now putting X68000 hardware on ebay. Nothing like buying directly from the source and avoiding the expensive proxy bidding middlemen.

For over year now I have been reaping the benifits of Japanese sellers doing the same for PC Engine and SFC software. Now all we need is a bigger presence for the X68000.

There are already some games being sold but I think the relative obscurity of the platform along with the sheer bulk and weight of the systems have so far prevented the movement from gaining much momentum.

In other oddities, how strange is it that currently Japanese sellers can ship me a game from across the globe for less than someone from within Canada or across the border.

BlueBMW

I should sell some of my extra systems on teh bay, even "untested" they fetch a lot.

kamiboy

Would be interesting to see what this one goes for. I am tempted to put in a bid myself. Cannot for the life of me decide why I would though.

kamiboy

Mine was the next highest bid. Never thought it would sell for so little, so it was a "just in case" bid.

You guys get this a lot? I suffer from next highest bid syndrome. It is like I have a nemesis out there who is always interested in the same things as me but is always willing to pay a ducat more for it, so he always wins.

One day I'll find you, you slightly richer than me bastard.

NFG

Keep in mind, kamiboy, that you don't know what his max was.  He might have bid twice as much as you, but of course only pays one notch above your price.  You can't assume he's a little bit richer, there's every possibility he's WAY richer than you.  ;)

BlueBMW

That is surprisingly low... maybe people were put off by the high shipping costs?

kamiboy

Quote from: Lawrence on July 23, 2013, 09:49:13 AM
Keep in mind, kamiboy, that you don't know what his max was.  He might have bid twice as much as you, but of course only pays one notch above your price.  You can't assume he's a little bit richer, there's every possibility he's WAY richer than you.  ;)

Yeah, I've considered that of course, but I am surprised by the number of times that I am outbid by a single person on auctions. You'd think having multiple persons bidding more than me would occur more often, but no, pretty much always just the one guy.

As for the shipping price. I see it as pretty cheap. Anyone pit off by that should try and proxy bid on a Compact, then they'll be begging for just that paltry amount.

BlueBMW

True.. compacts seem to fetch anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000 yen depending on condition etc etc... add in proxy fees plus international shipping to either NA or Europe and you'll be looking at $300 minimum when all is said and done...

kamiboy

BlueBMW

SuperDeadite

He lists it as a "Super HD" several times, but all I see is a Super...

kamiboy

You are right. I see a post purchase complaint loophole worthy of a 100.000 yen refund right there.

SuperDeadite

Jokes aside, it's no claim no return.  He can say whatever he wants really...

kamiboy

Yeah, most Japanese sellers are extra careful like that with their auctions. In all honesty that thing will prolly not even power up. The known leaky capacitor problem with said machines are relevant whether you've used the unit or not.

Same goes for any system with known capacitor problems such as the Turbo Duo. It always makes me smile when I see those sealed systems on ebay for over a grand knowing that whoever is going to pay that amount ends up with most likely a dead or dying system. Not that they will ever know since sealed item collectors keep sealed items sealed forever.