N64 and NES RGB Cables Question

Started by TheNameOfTheGame, May 19, 2013, 07:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNameOfTheGame

Hello, I have a 1-chip snes which uses a scart cable having capacitors in the hood.  The UK seller was very clear that the cable needed caps if used on a NTSC snes.  The rgb output is great.

Now I am looking to go rgb on my n64 and nes also.  My question is do I need the added capacitors in these system also or can I use a regular UK snes scart cable?

One thing is that I already did a quick RGB mod on the n64 (just rgb wires, no amp) using a standard UK scart cable (no caps) and even though the picture is a little dim (to be expected with no amp) it is still very clear.

Also, what do the caps even do?  What would happen if the caps weren't there on the snes cable?

TheNameOfTheGame

Anyone know the answer to my question?   :)

ApolloBoy

If you have capacitors in the SCART cable there's no need to add them to the system. The caps are there for filtering out DC current in the video signal.

TheNameOfTheGame

Ok, thanks the advice.  I went ahead and got a scart cable with Caps already in it.  Using a N64 with LHS7314 amp looks amazing!  Beautiful picture.

TheNameOfTheGame

Quote from: ApolloBoy on May 25, 2013, 05:31:36 PM
If you have capacitors in the SCART cable there's no need to add them to the system. The caps are there for filtering out DC current in the video signal.

So what would happen if the cable didn't have the caps and had a DC offset?  Will that affect the picture quality or damage the monitor?

ApolloBoy

Quote from: TheNameOfTheGame on May 29, 2013, 07:15:13 AM
Quote from: ApolloBoy on May 25, 2013, 05:31:36 PM

So what would happen if the cable didn't have the caps and had a DC offset?  Will that affect the picture quality or damage the monitor?
I think it depends on the monitor, you might be able to get away with not having them in something newer, but on an older monitor I'd imagine you'd need them.