Strange MD 2 50/60hz mod problem!!!

Started by Lettuce, March 30, 2004, 04:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettuce

Hi, i have carried out the 50/60hz mod on my PAL Megadrive 2 console, and have come across a strange problem!!

Now since doing the mod, all games ive tried in 50hz mode run slower than they do on my other standard unmodded PAL MD!!  I followed this guide to do the mod

http://users.skynet.be/DuNe/Console/md2/md2.html

the noticable error is that his got the mods round the wrong may, as his labelled the 50/60hz as the lang mod, and the lang mod as 50/60hz!!!

It could be that its just the music that plays slower than usual, or it maybe the gameplay as well!! Thats the first thing i though after doing the mod, i started it up in 50hz mode, and then flicked it to 60hz, and was suprised at how fast the music sped up!!

I then flicked it back down to 50hz and was shocked at how slow the music was, and thats when i started to get the feeling that it was too slow! So i got out my unmodded PAL MD and place the same game in, and the music (maybe game play too) was faster than it was in the 50hz mode on the modded MD!!!!

One thing that happened though was, when i first started the mod, and didnt realise that the mods were labelled round the wrong way, i finished what i though was the 50/60hz mod, (but was the lang mod) and tried it out, cos it was the wrong mod, i though that it didnt work, cos i was looking for it to change from 50/60hz but in fact it was changing the lang. Anyway i took the console apart again thinking that it hadnt worked, and tried to fix the problem, but in messing about with it the 107 pin on the chip snapped off!!! so in the end i could only use the 50/60hz mod and not the lang mod!!, so i unsoldered all the wires for the lang mod, and left it with just the one switvch!!! Beacuse the 107 pin had snapped off of the chip would this be what is causing games to run slower than usual in 50hz mode???

Jasmin Mehinagic

The same thing happend to me. I don't know it might be because of that. I just decidet to have the one language switch. When you flip the switch up is the screen bad or moving  up?

Lettuce

I didnt bother with the lang switch in the end (because the pin snapped), i just fitted the 50/60hz switch which works, apart from PAl games running slower than usual

Lettuce

I have sorted the slow gameplay problem out now. If you boot up the MD in 60hz and then change it down to 50hz, the 50hz will run slower than it should do, this is because it was booted in 60 and then changed to 50, if you just boot the MD in 50hz it plays at the right speed (not slower than it should be) This is what cause's the games to run slower that they should do, try it your self.