Power Monster II & BlackMonolith sandwich combo for Compact?

Started by kamiboy, May 01, 2013, 04:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperDeadite

Yeah Bomber Man doesn't use that type of protection, it won't find anything.

I generated the files, for Phalanx and Genocide II, but I honestly never tried them, as in the end it really makes no difference to me.  Both games need to use SIMDISK and I couldn't be bothered to set it up as I have 12mbs in my machine.  I did try with SuperSFII and Daimakai, and they did work fine.  I can send you the files if you want to try them though.

I'm aware of those games being hacked, Racing Champ is nice as it's a real hack.  But Last Tempest just uses emulator debug tricks, won't work on the real machine.

As I said with Xak II I can get the game to boot and play the intro.  But once you start game, it doesn't see the rest of the files.  It runs fine if I write the images to disk though.  2HDBoot and 2HDSim won't work for this game as it uses 2HDE disk format.

caius

Quote from: SuperDeadite on May 31, 2013, 10:52:23 AM

I generated the files, for Phalanx and Genocide II, but I honestly never tried them, as in the end it really makes no difference to me.  Both games need to use SIMDISK and I couldn't be bothered to set it up as I have 12mbs in my machine.  I did try with SuperSFII and Daimakai, and they did work fine.  I can send you the files if you want to try them though.

Yes, you can send these files to me, I'll try to install these two games.Thanks.

I'm aware of those games being hacked, Racing Champ is nice as it's a real hack.  But Last Tempest just uses emulator debug tricks, won't work on the real machine.

As I said with Xak II I can get the game to boot and play the intro.  But once you start game, it doesn't see the rest of the files.  It runs fine if I write the images to disk though.  2HDBoot and 2HDSim won't work for this game as it uses 2HDE disk format.

I just tried Xak II under XM6 emulation and  I can enter in game, it seems to work fine.Yes, the disk images are in .DIM fomat so they cannot be converted in .XDF with usual program (like Virtual Floppy Image Coverter) neither it's possible to extract the files inside.Anyway these are the disk images I use:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bob12owr2u5nqf0

sharp

Quote from: caius on May 31, 2013, 07:17:42 PM
I just tried Xak II under XM6 emulation and  I can enter in game, it seems to work fine.Yes, the disk images are in .DIM fomat so they cannot be converted in .XDF neither it's possible to extract the files inside.Anyway these are the disk images I use:

Hello caius, happy to be part of the x68000 collective, as well as to help out.
So, you CAN convert .DIM to .XDF
So easily its funny. This is the first time Ive told anyone. Im sure it will help quite a few. ;)

All you need is a texteditor, like "textedit" for mac.
Open the .DIM with textedit
it will say "DIFC HEADER  'Hudson" or "DIFC HEADER  'whatever"
You simply erase DIFC HEADER to the '
So it will look like

'Hudsonsoft 2.00

instead of

DIFC HEADER  'Hudsonsoft 2.00

close/save, then rename the extension from .DIM to .XDF

That simple ;)
& I dont know anything about code. haha

Oh! also, you can even do that on .HDF
but your system needs some juice to run it I presume?
When I tried Chorensha in .xdf, graphics would disappear, but yeah.

SuperDeadite

Phalanx and Genocide 2 files here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jse7if

The type10.x files must be run before the game.

As for Xak 2, I think you are confused.
XDF format is only for 2HD (1.2mb) images.
Xak 2 uses 2HDE (1.4mb, 9 sector) images.

I can convert your .DIMs back into proper .2HE files easily, and then I can write these to real floppy disks, and game is 100% playable (I've beaten the game this way).  What I'm trying to do is run it off HDD directly, so no floppys are required.

Using SUBST, I can boot the game, and the intro plays fine, but it gets stuck when I select "Start Game".   2HDSim and 2HDBoot only support 2HD format images, they are not compatible with 9-sector formats (2HDE, 2HS).  The text file on the disk even states "this game is not copy protected" hence I'm confused why it won't run fully, it's not a protection issue.

Extracting the data from your floppy images is easy.  You just have to run the 9-sector disk driver first.
http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/x68/util/se022414.html

caius

Quote from: SuperDeadite on June 01, 2013, 12:15:16 AM
Phalanx and Genocide 2 files here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jse7if

The type10.x files must be run before the game.

Thanks, I will try to HDD install this.

QuoteI can convert your .DIMs back into proper .2HE files easily, and then I can write these to real floppy disks, and game is 100% playable (I've beaten the game this way).  What I'm trying to do is run it off HDD directly, so no floppys are required.

Using SUBST, I can boot the game, and the intro plays fine, but it gets stuck when I select "Start Game".   2HDSim and 2HDBoot only support 2HD format images, they are not compatible with 9-sector formats (2HDE, 2HS).  The text file on the disk even states "this game is not copy protected" hence I'm confused why it won't run fully, it's not a protection issue.

Extracting the data from your floppy images is easy.  You just have to run the 9-sector disk driver first.
http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/x68/util/se022414.html

Yes, I knew the difference between .XDF and .DIM format.What I meant is that I couldn't extract files directly from .DIM neither convert this .DIM in a format (like .XDF) I could extract files from.But, now, if you said me  is it  possibile to extract files using 9-sector driver, then we could also transfer these files to a common 2HD disk image (respecting the autoexec.bat and config.sys files).
Besides, do you know if other games which it's not possble to extract files from (the ones which show empy directory like Naious, etc..) can take advantage of this 9-sector driver?

P.S.
How did you convert .DIM to .2HE format? I used Virtual Floppy Image Coverter but it didn't work, I was only able to convert them to .D88 or BKDSK format.

SuperDeadite

Naious uses a custom disk format I'm not familiar with, it's standard 2HD format.  Will not work with this method.

I convert images by "dumping" them into HD image by using emulator.  Here's a 5 min demo video (XVid format)
showing how I do it.  First I run the the 9 sector driver, and use it to browse the Xak 2 .dim image.  Then I use DPACK to "dump" it into proper 2HE format (DPACK is very powerful image software, much better then MKIMG).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/czayei

However, 9-sector images are very sensitive.  If you try to extract them via Disk Explorer they will corrupt every single time, and Jsplit doesn't work either.  So I can't get these images out of the HDD image, but the images are correct, I can use DPACK to write back to floppy on the real machine, and they work 100%.

caius

Quote from: SuperDeadite on June 01, 2013, 03:23:23 AM
Naious uses a custom disk format I'm not familiar with, it's standard 2HD format.  Will not work with this method.

I convert images by "dumping" them into HD image by using emulator.  Here's a 5 min demo video (XVid format)
showing how I do it.  First I run the the 9 sector driver, and use it to browse the Xak 2 .dim image.  Then I use DPACK to "dump" it into proper 2HE format (DPACK is very powerful image software, much better then MKIMG).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/czayei

However, 9-sector images are very sensitive.  If you try to extract them via Disk Explorer they will corrupt every single time, and Jsplit doesn't work either.  So I can't get these images out of the HDD image, but the images are correct, I can use DPACK to write back to floppy on the real machine, and they work 100%.

OK, thanks.Instead I used this method: under XM6 emulation first  I run 9SCDRV.X, then I mount the .DIM image on drive 0, finally I copy the entire content of mounted disk image to HDD using COPYALL B:*.* command
To extract out of the HDD image  the .2HE   created with DPACK without corrupting them try to compress them in a .LZH archive and then extract the archive with DiskExplorer, I think it could work.

kamiboy

By the buy guys. I hear Human68K cannot read standard 1.44 floppies without some sort of driver installed first. Anyone know where this driver is and details on how it should be installed?

It would be great if it could be installed to S-RAM so as to not take up additional memory.

caius

Quote from: kamiboy on June 01, 2013, 03:40:52 AM
By the buy guys. I hear Human68K cannot read standard 1.44 floppies without some sort of driver installed first. Anyone know where this driver is and details on how it should be installed?

It would be great if it could be installed to S-RAM so as to not take up additional memory.

I think the driver is FDDEVICE.X.Besides, I found a document on how to modify a  CompacXVI FDD to read 1.44 MB but, sadly, It's in japanese.
SuperDeadite, since  I presume you understand japanese language, could you look at this driver called 15disk.sys,please? It could allow to mount up to 15 floppy disk in a single virtual drive simulating an HDD.I tried it but without success due my bad japanese knowledge again.. :D

kamiboy

Quote from: caius on May 31, 2013, 01:33:55 AM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on May 31, 2013, 01:09:48 AM

The catch is that the game is heavily copy protected.  If you don't have an original disk, you need to run a protection emulator which fools the game when it preforms the disk check.  This takes some memory the original game didn't need.  Still though, if you download the Disk A image with the crack, I believe you can then play the game with just one floppy and 2mb of ram.

Are you referring to this protection emulator, perhaps:

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4610.msg30422#msg30422

It will extract some files from original disk called type.x and type.dat which you have to put into the copied disk modifying the config.sys to run them.
Anyway for Daimakaimura , Eidis got the solution:

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4394.msg31592#msg31592

Is the solution in the lowest most link confirmed to work?

I tried extracting the three files from the [a2] file and copied them to the Daimakai folder and edited !Start.bat but DM.X still quits complaining about file not being found.

On a slightly different note, just for fun I decided to make a Mega Drive controller to X68000 converter cable using the diagram below.

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4415.0;attach=1226

Unfortunately I found out that since I only have 6 button pads they do not work right unless used with games that are written to support them, like Street Fighter II.

At the very least Akumajou did not work right, not recognizing LEFT or RIGHT and mapping button II to the START button.

Holding down the MODE button when plugging in the pad, turning on the X68000 or when launching the game do not seem to work either.

I suspect that cutting the COMM line to the X68000 might perhaps make 2 button games work right, but I cannot be arsed to try. Just a head up, lads.

kamiboy

Quote from: SuperDeadite on May 30, 2013, 11:35:34 AM
Midi board 1 or 2 is needed for when using two midi boards at once (needed if one wanted to have a 32 channel midi file), the other one switches between Midi Out 2 or Midi Thru.

Finally got around to take a second gander at the my CZ-6BM1A midi board issue.

I discovered that when I jumper the board to ID1 Akumajou hangs with a black screen right around the time you should get a midi module option screen. If I set the jumper to ID2 on the other hand Akumajou starts up fine. It starts up in FM mode with no option of choosing other midi modules ever showing up. If I remove the jumper it behaves like with ID2.

It is pretty evident that setting ID to 1 is the right way to go when wanting to use external midi modules but something is causing the game to hang when, I assume, it tries to poll the midi board.

When booting a game with a midi board inserted do you actually need to have a midi module connected to the board and ready to go?

Maybe the game hangs while trying to communicate with the midi module. If not then my board might be bad. I already exchanged the capacitors, so not much else I can do I guess.

BlueBMW

As far as I know you shouldnt need an actual module connected.  I think the game just looks to see if you have a midi interface and if you do it asks which module to load sound for.  I know some MIDI boards had some compatibility issues, but i'm not sure if that board was one of them.

kamiboy

I wouldnt expect Sharp's own official board to have compatibility issues.

BlueBMW

I wouldnt think so either.  I seem to remember someone saying the sacom boards worked the best though.... I'll see what I can find out.

SuperDeadite

The M1A is what I use, and is the best board there is imo.  As I stated the switch needs to be set to 1 unless you are using 2 boards in the same machine.   Dracula and most games only use the Output line.  It's a one directional signal, game has no idea if you having something attached or not.  Regardless, you should be able to select the internal FM option from that screen.   If it keeps locking up, something is wrong.  Could be the MIDI board, could be the IO slot itself.  And even could be a RAM problem.