News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

SCSI PCMCIA adapter

Started by Jamie, February 04, 2013, 03:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie

Can anyone recommend where to buy an external SCSI PCMCIA adapter for use with my Compact. I want to replace my noisy old SCSI HD.

eidis

Hi Jamie !

Not exactly what you have asked for but I think this is what you're after:

CF AztecMonster CF-3.5" SCSI Converter Card
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CF-AztecMonster-CF-3-5-SCSI-Converter-Card-for-Mac-AKAI-sampler-/300855776115?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460c66d373

It has been confirmed that this card is compatible with X68000. Artmix is the only one who sells them because he is also the manufacturer. Better wait till one pops up with buy it now option.

Here's a tutorial on how to make internal HDD mod:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:internal_scsi_and_cf_card_mod

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

Jamie

Thanks for that Eidis.

Been speaking with Caius about building an internal mod using one of these but we're not sure if it'll fit inside a Compact. Do you know if it will?

eidis

Here you can find detailed specifications:
http://www.artmix.com/pdffiles/CF_AZTECMONSTER_MN_E_13.pdf

I do not have a Compact so you will have to see if there is enough free space for this bad boy.

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

BlueBMW

It will probably fit, but it will be very tight.  Ill check on a compact and see.

Nelsinho

Hi,

My CF AztecMonster CF-3.5" SCSI Converter Card, arrived today !
And i can talk, works perfect in my x68000 ACE ! I have one Acard AEC-7720U and fail some times!
This one is very better

I Recommend !

Jamie

Thanks BlueBMW, would be great if you confirm it fits ok.

BlueBMW

I'm assembling a compact over the next few days, I'll test fix my aztec monster and take some pics.  You may have to get creative with cabling, and tap into the external io board for connection, but i think it will work.

BlueBMW

Alright, I think it will fit, but it will be VERY tight.

Here's what the space you have to work with looks like...

If you lengthen the power cord some (maybe solder on 5cm or so of extra wire at the power supply side) you can reroute it down a little bit and then fold the flat cables a bit to reroute them, you'll get a little more space....

Then you should be able to fit the aztec monster board in there.  It will still be tight, but should be doable.

You'll have to make a custom cable that maybe solders onto the bottom side of the rear interface board and connects to the aztec monster board.  You'll have to tap +5V and ground from the wires coming out of the power supply and run them over to the board also  (it doesnt appear to need +12v)

Good luck! I  hope you get it to fit good!

caius

Quote from: BlueBMW on February 07, 2013, 02:20:34 PM

You'll have to make a custom cable that maybe solders onto the bottom side of the rear interface board and connects to the aztec monster board.  You'll have to tap +5V and ground from the wires coming out of the power supply and run them over to the board also  (it doesnt appear to need +12v)

Jamie will send me his SCSI interface board and I will install the needed sockects for my SCSI piggyback board:

http://gamesx.com/wiki/lib/exe/detail.php?id=x68000%3Ainternal_scsi_and_cf_card_mod&media=x68000:x68000_compactxvi_internal_scsi_adapter_layout_v2.jpg

The problem is that then I don't know if AztecMonster will fit in (probably not)

BlueBMW

There is some space underneath the rear connector board, Ill bet your interface board would fit under there.

caius

Quote from: BlueBMW on February 08, 2013, 12:45:16 AM
There is some space underneath the rear connector board, Ill bet your interface board would fit under there.

Usually I install it on top layer of the rear connector board but I could try also to install the needed sockets on the bottom layer, thanks for the good idea!

Jamie

Thanks for the pics and suggestions BlueBMW

papa_november