Can these games be hard drive installable?

Started by Bigby, November 05, 2012, 12:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigby

I have read the "installing games to hard drive" page, and tried to install some multi disk games, but am finding difficulties with these specific games.

Aquales
Baruusa No Fukushuu
Battletech
Death Brade
Die Bahnwelt
Foxy 2
FZ Senki Axis
Genocide
Genocide 2
Larjis
Mid-Garts Gold
Mugen Senshi Valis II
Phalanx
Reinforcer
Undeadline - Genjuuki
Ys 3 Wanderers From Ys

Are some of these just not installable?

caius

Hi,
some of these games are really not fully HD installable (like Phalanx, Aquales and few others), but you can always use 2HDboot.
The remaining ones  are already HD installed and you can find them in Eidis HDD images releses.Anyway, later, I will post them here. Stay tuned!

Bigby

caius

Quote from: Bigby on November 06, 2012, 03:59:58 AM
I'll be waiting, thanks.  :)

Hi, I'm working to install them and then  I'll released them into HDD images (tomorrow probably).Do you have a real machine or use emulation?
Some of them will require 6MB or more (Aquales requires 8MB) because they use 2HDBOOT.Please, a little more of patience..:)

Bigby

No hurry, thanks for doing this.

I will be using emulation on PC, but also on the original Xbox.

I did try phalanx 2hdboot that I found in the x68000 v3 hard disk image. It works on PC, but did not on Xbox. So I'm hoping that most of these games aren't using the 2hdboot method.  :)

caius

As promised, here the requested games installed on HDD and released into three HDD SASI images.

'Aquales'(8MB required), 'Genocide2'(6MB), 'Mugen Senshi Valis II'(8MB), 'Phalanx'(6MB), Ys 3 Wanderers From Ys'(6MB) use 2HDBOOT method, all others are real HDD installed and can run on 2MB machines except 'Death Brade' which requires 4MB
'Undeadline', 'Die Bahnwelt' and 'Genocide' need to be launched in pure DOS only, all other can run from LHES.
Please, report any issue.You can download the HDD images from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?0787hg766qm551j

eidis

Fantastic work Caius !

Very clean and professional installs, except for the 2hdboot ones ;) I made a compilation of your previously mentioned patches and if anyone is interested, they can be found here:

http://nfggames.com/X68000/Misc/Dennou%20Club%20Game%20Patches/Dennou_Club_Game_Patches.zip

P.S. Can I include your work in the upcoming v4 image ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

caius

Thanks, Eidis.Yes, you can include them in the upcoming V4 release.But don't forget that some of these new freshly installed games are already included in the HDD templates I sent you some time ago.So ,before releasing V4, we have to do a summing up to avoid confusion.

P.S.
Sadly I had to use 2HDBOOT  for some multi-disks games and, obviously, RAM requirements are high.Sorry but this is the only method to have these HDD installed in some way.

eidis

And still, fantastic work Caius ! ;)

Your work has a new home on the FTP server.

Caius HDD installed games
http://nfggames.com/X68000/Games/NFG_HDD_images.rar

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

Bigby

Thank you caius!

Because I will also be using these game on Xbox, I have to make them single hdf's.

The games where there is a choice between starting the intro or going straight to the game... Is there any way I can give the user this choice?

I simply use autoexec.bat to point to the !start.bat currently.

caius

You will go straight to the game by launching !Start.bat and to the intro by launching !Introstart.bat (or similar name, I didn't remember now).I can undestand what is your intention, please explain me better (maybe I'm a dumb...)

Bigby

What I am doing is making single hdf's for each game. This way I can select it as a single game and run only that game, on xbox.

Using disk explorer I have:

Baruusa No Fukushuu.hdf
BaruusaNoFukushuu <-----folder
Autoexec.bat
COMMAND.X
HUMAN.SYS

The Autoexec simply has:

cd BaruusaNoFukushuu
!start

This of course will start the game. If I replace !start with !Introstart I will see the intro.

Is there a way that I can give a choice to the user to see either the intro or start the game?

Bigby

The game Die Bahnwelt. I have tried to make it a single hdf, but when I run the game it asks for a disk to be inserted.

The game does work with the NFG2.HDF however.

I have the English translated version of this game. That is what I would ideally want as a hdf.

Is it possible to get this game to work as a single hdf?

caius

Quote from: Bigby on November 09, 2012, 05:46:33 AM
What I am doing is making single hdf's for each game. This way I can select it as a single game and run only that game, on xbox.

Using disk explorer I have:

Baruusa No Fukushuu.hdf
BaruusaNoFukushuu <-----folder
Autoexec.bat
COMMAND.X
HUMAN.SYS

The Autoexec simply has:

cd BaruusaNoFukushuu
!start

This of course will start the game. If I replace !start with !Introstart I will see the intro.

Is there a way that I can give a choice to the user to see either the intro or start the game?

I think the only way is to make two separate HDF, one for the game itself and other for the intro.
Or you could try to make two partitions on a HDD and then use some boot selector.

caius

Quote from: Bigby on November 09, 2012, 11:58:26 AM
The game Die Bahnwelt. I have tried to make it a single hdf, but when I run the game it asks for a disk to be inserted.

I have the English translated version of this game. That is what I would ideally want as a hdf.

If you look at !Start.bat there some paths which need to be respected:

set BAHNWELT=A:\GAMES\DIEBAHNWELT
A:
cd %BAHNWELT%\BWSYS

Anyway, send me your HDF , I want to look at it and try something.
Regarding english patches, there also for other games, probably I will release an HDF with translated games.

caius

Quote from: caius on November 10, 2012, 06:40:08 PM
Quote from: Bigby on November 09, 2012, 11:58:26 AM

If you look at !Start.bat there some paths which need to be respected:

set BAHNWELT=A:\GAMES\DIEBAHNWELT
A:
cd %BAHNWELT%\BWSYS

Anyway, send me your HDF , I want to look at it and try something.
Regarding english patches, there also for other games, probably I will release an HDF with translated games.

*****UPDATE*****

I managed to properly convert Die Bahnwelt to a single HDF.The problem was that, during the transfer between the two HDFs, the file image of the system disk 'SYS.xdf' changed his size so it not has been mounted anymore by 2HDSIM, this is why it always asked to insert the disk in drive 0.This is a well  known issue of Diskexplorer program that occurs when you transfer files from different location.So , in case of transfer of .XDF images or other images format,  I recommend to check its size, it has to be 1.261.568 bytes long.Besides after this, you should try to deframent the file image using the 'liner.x' utility.
Surely Eidis can give futher explanations about .Isn't it?  ;)

Anyway, here is the HDF:

http://www.mediafire.com/?p5ptp1gpd6ho544

Bigby

Thanks caius!

I checked my die bahnwelt hdf and the sys.xdf was 1,262,592. So that was the problem, like you say.

Bigby

Quote from: caius on November 10, 2012, 06:34:38 PM
I think the only way is to make two separate HDF, one for the game itself and other for the intro.
Or you could try to make two partitions on a HDD and then use some boot selector.

Good idea, I'll look into it, thanks