SNES 50/60hz mod, now picture fuzzy???

Started by Guest_Lettuce215, March 25, 2004, 09:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guest_Lettuce215

Hi, i have just had my PAL SNES console modded with the 50/60hz switch. But when i am using my scart lead and flick the snes to 60hz the picture goes all fuzzy, but is fine in 50hz mode!!! Anybody know why this is?? thanks

Guest_Chris

Does you tv actually support 60Hz video mode ?

Vertigo

It wouldn't be that, the TV wouldn't be able to sync at all if it didn't support 60Hz mode.
Have you tried putting your TV into 60Hz mode (by flicking the switch) then going into the menus to see if there's any sort of colour mode changer in there, perhaps you have it expecting S-Video when it's in 60Hz and it's getting upset when it gets something else (or similar combination of non-matching actual source and expected source). Perhaps when it goes into 60Hz you're only throwing Composite at it for some reason.

First thing's first though. Stop and check all of your connections and make sure you haven't accidentally got a bit of solder somewhere touching more than one pin/track accidentally. Also look inside the lead to see what's going on in there and if you have the correct conbination of capacitors or lack of them.

Lettuce

Thanks for replying Vertigo, i sorted the problem out! I have 2 scart sockets on my TV, i believe one is True RGB and the other one isnt!! I first tried the scrt cable on the true RGB one but the picture just faded to black as soon as i turned the console on!!! I since found out that i need to remove the resistors from the scart cable to stop the picture from fading!!!  :)  Now if i could only sort out my N64 display problem!

Vertigo

If you have 2 SCART sockets, generally one will support RGB and one will support an SVideo signal so yes, you've got the right idea there. It's still a massive pain in the arse, isn't it?
What's the problem with your N64? You only need a 3-wire mod and the standard SNES capacitor-less SCART lead. I don't know why my N64 mod's such a good picture coz everyone else complains about brightness but I've had no real problems.

Lettuce

I believe it must be down to the scart lead you have, did you do the mod yourself?, do you knwo if the 3 wires are soldered to the top of your PCB or the underneath?

Vertigo

I honestly can't remember. The lead is a standard PAL SNES (capacitor-less) one as I use it for both systems. I'm unable to look inside my N64 as it's on the other side of the world but when I can get more info for you I will post it on here.