XBOX USB protocol?

Started by Piratero, July 22, 2012, 10:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piratero

Hello everyone,

I just finished hacking up an old NES controller to work on the XBOX using a microcontroller. I've gotten to the point where it is fully recognized as a Microsoft XBOX controller by the XBCD Windows drivers.

I mapped A to A, B to X, Select to Back, etc.

But here's the problem: It doesn't work on an XBOX. I'm guessing that vendor-specific data is being sent to authenticate the device.

Does anyone have ANY information on this? Anyone have the ability to sniff the data coming from the XBOX itself to the controller?

I could connect an XBOX controller to my PC, but I would assume that it would have to ask for a vendor-specific request  first.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

NFG

If I remember correctly there's a fifth wire on Xbox pads, you might look into that.  I don't recall if it's a protection issue or what.

This sort of thing is certainly well documented already, right?  It must be.

Piratero

Quote from: Lawrence on July 22, 2012, 05:24:37 PM
If I remember correctly there's a fifth wire on Xbox pads, you might look into that.  I don't recall if it's a protection issue or what.

This sort of thing is certainly well documented already, right?  It must be.

A wire that I might be able to probe?

To be clear, I'm attempting to spoof an XBOX controller rather than soldering wires directly on the inputs.

It's a microcontroller inside of a NES controller to USB

NFG

Yeah, but what I mean is there are five wires in an Xbox pad, and 4 in a USB device.  You might need that extra wire, and actually communicate on it.

Piratero

Quote from: Lawrence on July 22, 2012, 05:41:43 PM
Yeah, but what I mean is there are five wires in an Xbox pad, and 4 in a USB device.  You might need that extra wire, and actually communicate on it.

Oh I see. But what's weird is that I have a PS2 to XBOX converter. I ripped off the XBOX end and soldered a male USB connector. From there I used a female USB to XBOX cable and it works just fine. Without the need of a 5th wire...

NFG

Well I guess the answer lies somewhere else then.  ^_^

kendrick

If I remember correctly, a proper original Xbox controller contains an internal USB hub. The actual input device is recognized as a device connected to that hub, in addition to one or two memory cards (or a keyboard adapter). You may need to cannibalize the hub from another controller in order to make your NES pad work.

Piratero

Quote from: kendrick on July 22, 2012, 07:36:03 PM
If I remember correctly, a proper original Xbox controller contains an internal USB hub. The actual input device is recognized as a device connected to that hub, in addition to one or two memory cards (or a keyboard adapter). You may need to cannibalize the hub from another controller in order to make your NES pad work.

Got it. Working on faking a HUB with 3 ports.